Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM

67 posts, read 83,494 times

Advertisements

So I will be based out of ACY. We are looking for a great town that is no more than a 2 hr drive to ACY, PHL, and EWR airports. We want a town with great public schools, and prefer to live in an old home. Also we want a place that has running paths or trails and bike lanes or some kind of shoulder on the roadways. We were recommended several towns. I checked out Princeton and Moorestown. Princeton was pretty nice but I felt it was very busy, had lots of traffic and narrow roads. Only saw 1 short greenway. But maybe I didn't spend enough time there. Moorestown seemed like an excellent fit. Sawamy historic homes, quaint little town. Any others that might fit the bill? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,913,818 times
Haddonfield, Collingswood NJ.. Both you will love

Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Thank you, I'll check them out

Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM

9,399 posts, read 13,054,771 times
Is there any particular airport you'd prefer to be closest to or does it not matter? If you're game for living down the Shore, Northfield and Linwood have great public schools, charming older housing stock, and a double walking/biking trail that runs through both towns, all while having very easy access to the AC Expressway and Garden State Parkway. It's very sleepy there (especially during the off-season) but if you'd prefer to live somewhere very quiet, you can't do much better.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:01 PM

Thanks for these suggestions! ACY is where I prefer to be closest to but I had been informfmed (or maybe misinformed) that the school systems are not great near the shore?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 AM

51,046 posts, read 36,758,916 times
Not so, depends where you live. Ocean City has very good schools, as does Linwood area as the poster above mentioned. You just want to stay away from towns that feed into Atlantic City High School (Margate, Ventnor).

Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,757,230 times
Hightstown is a small walkable town with historic homes. Taxes are on the high side, I don't have first hand experience with the schools, so this is what I have been told - the high school is average, but the elementary school(s) are excellent. There is also a private Ivy League High School, Peddie School, if you don't want to use the public high school.

Cranbury is also a small walkable town with historic homes that I believe sends the kids to Princeton High School. Not sure about the real estate taxes, but the home prices "were" high.

Both Hightstown and Cranbury have lakes within their towns. Cranbury is approximately 4 miles from Hightstown, so you can add that to the times below:

hightstown/atlantic city 81 mi 1 hr 36 min.
hightstown/phil airport 57 mi. 1 hr 15 min.
hightstown/newark airport 39 mi. 45 min.

Downtown Hightstown Inc
Hightstown Triathlon
Peddie School
Township of Cranbury, Middlesex County, New Jersey

There's also Point Pleasant, NJ. The areas closest to the ocean side were affected by hurricane Sandy. I've been to the center of town and what I saw was okay. No experience, but have heard the schools were good.

point pleasant/atlantic city (parkway) 68 mi. 1 hr. 20 min.
point pleasant/newark airport 57 mi. 1 hr. 15 min.
point pleasant/philadelphia airport 85 mi 1 hr. 45 min.

Borough of Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
New Jersey Transit (may have had some storm damage)

Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 AM

9,399 posts, read 13,054,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Not so, depends where you live. Ocean City has very good schools, as does Linwood area as the poster above mentioned. You just want to stay away from towns that feed into Atlantic City High School (Margate, Ventnor).
Mainland Regional (Northfield, Linwood, and Somers Point) is a great school district.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 PM

386 posts, read 874,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Hightstown is a small walkable town with historic homes. Taxes are on the high side, I don't have first hand experience with the schools, so this is what I have been told - the high school is average, but the elementary school(s) are excellent. There is also a private Ivy League High School, Peddie School, if you don't want to use the public high school.
You can do so much better in Mercer than Heightstown as far as schools go, and Peddie is overrated. Also, traffic and crowding is an issue, due to the Turnpike interchange.

Hamilton fits the bill, but its schools are just average (better than Heightstown's though). Cranbury is great.

If you're looking at the shore, try out Red Bank, Bradley Beach, Wall, Monmouth Beach, Oceanport, Sea Bright, West Long Branch, Interlaken, or Point Pleasent

New Egypt is a good choice too.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,757,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
You can do so much better in Mercer than Heightstown as far as schools go, and Peddie is overrated. Also, traffic and crowding is an issue, due to the Turnpike interchange.

Hamilton fits the bill, but its schools are just average (better than Heightstown's though). Cranbury is great.

If you're looking at the shore, try out Red Bank, Bradley Beach, Wall, Monmouth Beach, Oceanport, Sea Bright, West Long Branch, Interlaken, or Point Pleasent

New Egypt is a good choice too.
The turnpike interchange has moved and a bypass was put in. When was the last time you've been to Hightstown? There is no crowding; you don't know what you're talking about. Is this the same Hamilton you told someone "I don't blame you for hating Hamilton." ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia