Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,779 times

Advertisements

I've never taking a train before...so I'm looking for the best way to get from Salem coutry to Times square by train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
salem co huh? i guess the best would be to take the river line from camden to trenton and then take the nj transit to port authority - walk to times square - bam!

i guess the worst part of the whole thing is hoping your car won't be broken into in camden

Last edited by john_starks; 10-23-2011 at 04:47 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 05:34 PM

15 posts, read 17,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice2259 View Post
I've never taking a train before...so I'm looking for the best way to get from Salem coutry to Times square by train.
ARE YOU COMPLETELY NUTS!!!!!!! salem to NYC???? err that is one extreme but doable trip BUT you will be at the mercy of this http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0402.pdf or http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0401.pdf
depending on where in salem county you are.
BUT it's still very doable BUT NOT VIA TRAIN.

It requires 2 buses that's it one NJT one greyhound.

take 402 or 401 or 410 to philly then use greyhound get off at market and 13th then walk 2 blocks up to greyhound terminal for NYC bound service. Sorry to burst your bubble but the train is very expensive and impractical for this trip. I did the same trip several times before (without a car sometimes).

The bus you will take depends on where in salem county you are leaving from if next to the river you need to time with 402 due to it's schedule. If you are in the town of salem or on the rte 45 corridor use the 401 which is more frequent than 402. If on rte 77 corridor use 410.

PLZ listen to the other poster DO NOT bring your car into camden too much crime. just take any one of the 3 bus lines I mentioned depending on the town you are leaving from to philly stay on till philly then use greyhound to complete your trip. greyhound has outlets and wi-fi. If you have money to burn on amtrak then get off at city hall then use SEPTA market frankford to 30th for amtrak. The septa/NJT will drive you to insanity. The riverline/NEC combo is more sensible BUT IS STILL SLOW. To get on riverline you get off in camden rather than philly. But you will save time and money by staying on your NJT bus to philly to reach greyhound which is cheaper and faster than the riverline/NEC combo.

Greyhound is sometimes $6 one way to NYC from philly.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
salem co huh? i guess the best would be to take the river line from camden to trenton and then take the nj transit to port authority - walk to times square - bam!

i guess the worst part of the whole thing is hoping your car won't be broken into in camden
true BUT this commute is way too slow and impractical.

It's faster to use greyhound from philly AND cheaper too.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice2259 View Post
I'd suggest that you get Amtrak in Wilmington.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'd suggest that you get Amtrak in Wilmington.
true due to extra service and the schedule is better BUT it's expensive however since OP maybe has money to burn then I would suggest wimington amtrak

Old 10-24-2011, 01:18 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
1. Go to Wilmington Train Station
2. If Amtrak is too expensive for you follow these steps which only apply to Weekday trips
2A. Take the Septa Wilmington / Newark line to 30th Street Philly
3. Switch to the Septa Trenton line @ 30th Street in Philly
4. Take the Trenton line to the Trenton Transit Center
5. At the Trenton Transit center switch to the New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor line and take that to New York Penn Station
6. @ NY Penn , go to the 1,2,3 Subways and take that to Times SQ - 42nd Street Station
7. You have arrived at your destination , should only take you 3.5-4hrs. The Fare should only cost you 30$ one way.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
2. If Amtrak is too expensive for you follow these steps which only apply to Weekday trips
5. At the Trenton Transit center switch to the New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor line and take that to New York Penn Station
6. @ NY Penn , go to the 1,2,3 Subways and take that to Times SQ - 42nd Street Station
7. You have arrived at your destination , should only take you 3.5-4hrs. The Fare should only cost you 30$ one way.
Thanks, Nexis. Excellent advice. I knew that the OP should go to Wilmington, but didn't know the details.

For everyone else, while your advice is good for most, if someone lives in Salem County, they are nearer to Wilmington. It's that simple.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 AM

756 posts, read 2,117,493 times
OP can drive up I-295 to either Mt. Laurel (exit 36) to reach Greyhound bus, or Hamilton (65B) to reach the NJ Transit train.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
dude I already stated why this is NOT PRACTICAL lets stick to my advice if amtrak is too expensive just use 402/401 to greyhound it's FASTER AND CHEAPER. The only train that will possibly make sense IS AMTRAK its either amtrak or greyhound the septa/NJT combo is made of 3 really SLOW trains THEREFORE VERY IMPRACTICAL terrible advice. fail

1.use 402 or 401 or 410 to centercity philly and use greyhound OR megabus(via market and 6th)
2.drive to wilmington and use amtrak
3.If option 2 is too expensive for the love of common sense and sanity please use option 1 trust me I used the septa/NJT combo IT'S MISERABLE OP plz dont use SEPTA its for ur sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia