Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 02:54 PM

584 posts, read 1,426,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenj View Post
I agree templeu on that,but things are getting worse in this economy in my eyes,it's going to hurt the people that are just getting by,living paycheck to paycheck.I kinda worry about what kind of life my kids are going to have in the future,but they are going to be successful,both in the medical field.I know there's someone else in the world that's worse off,I'm happy what I have,but it just gets tougher every week for the "average middle class" person.
Agreed. Unfortunately - I don't think most folks realize why this is...and this isn't the board to discuss. I'll pm you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,900,200 times
don't get me wrong Ihatenj.. We both work hard.. and have for many years. We are up 4:30 every morning and don't stop sometimes until 8 pm .. We paid our dues too. College, low paying jobs, living with in laws etc.. We watch our money for sure... But we are paying al our bills okay and can still get a nice family vacation.. We are very fortunate.. When I was young like you, I struggled too.. Put your time in and work hard.. It will pay off. We were not doing nearly as well years ago... I have been working for almost 30 years now..

Old 04-29-2011, 03:51 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,900,200 times
BTW- Templeu and myself are in the same industry. In fact we are both faced with the Governor cutting back on both of our state appropriations..

Old 04-29-2011, 07:13 PM

756 posts, read 2,119,532 times
Even with high gas prices, there is still ways to have a vacation. Of course, one can do things local: camping, Jersey shore, Hershey Park etc.

To fly, fares are generally higher now than years before. Going from here to Seattle or Hawaii, or Europe or anything transpacific is going to be expensive on any carrier. But, if domestic and within 2 hours flight is fine, Spirit has some low fares (caveat: they have fees), but all inclusive, it can still be pretty reasonable. They fly to Myrtle Beach, and Chicago, Florida from Atlantic City airport, which is pretty easy to get to and it's walkable from the economy parking to the gate.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,995,447 times
The people barely getting by are the ones that suffer most. The rich, may or may not notice, but if they do they tend to complain the loudest. People on Disabilty, those living on Social Security, or others making a low wage that have no choice but drive to work or lose their job, I do feel sorry for them. The lower middle class and the working poor continue to get squeezed. I'm a Disabled Vet, and I sure notice the prices and it makes me furious. Would you like to chip in with me on a bucket of tar and feathers for the selfish oil execs, and the rancid politicians?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 AM

93 posts, read 236,324 times
Very true indeed.I've worked 2 jobs for many yrs.,got up @ 4am,worked my day job till 5pm,then went right to UPS,but in Nov.09,I lost my day job,really been struggling since then.Job market is very tough out there,I probably never will make the money that I once did at my old day job.Now,when I see jobs of interest to me,I have to watch how far of a drive I have,because of these high gas prices.I see a lot of good jobs out there that I can't do because of the hours,(2nd shift work) or they require mandatory ot.If it weren't for UPS,I would,but I can't afford to leave there because they pay for my benefits & I'm tied into their pension plan,been there almost 7yrs.I'm happy I don't have car payments,loans,college loans,my 20yr old son is taking care of his own bills for school,UPS pays for 90% of his college tuition.My 16yr old daughter will get grants that she needs for college,just got to be on the National Honor Society,that really helps out a lot these days.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:36 PM

267 posts, read 951,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenj View Post
Maybe this will a 5 part question.
I could add a few more,but I'll get off the subject,lol.But anyone wants too add another?,why not.

1)What's everyone paying these days?
2)Are you driving less?
3)Are the food prices affecting your family?
4)Summer vacation?
5)Public transportation,taking it lately?
To answer the original questions...

1) High 3s probably like everyone else here
2) No. My need to go places hasn't changed any..
3) Yes, but we still have to eat..
4) Probably not. This is due to the economy and having two very young kids.
5) No, it's not very feasible where I work, but I did when I worked in CC.

Just to add to the back and forth discussion, it's always best NEVER to compare yourself to others. I just don't think that it's healthy to do. The next guy will always be better off or just plain luckier than you. On the flip side, trust me, there are always those who are far worse off than you too.

We are two hard working college educated people, one of whom is a licensed professional, and we still can barely keep our heads above the water. We did not come from wealthy families, have lots of debt, and like everyone else, have so so health insurance. But what can you do?? We are all healthy and every day is a new one to make things better. Family is what makes me happiest.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 AM

Well said invertigo!We all have to deal with these everyday,my kids are 16 & 20.I have 2 sisters with younger kids,as my wife would say:"been there done that",lol.Is it harder with 2 young kids then older ones today?They tend to eat more,no doubt about that,& they ask you what's for dinner,then you tell them,they say I don't want that,we say oh well!,lol

Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM

1)Still shop around around for the cheapest gas
2)Trying to drive less,hard to sometimes
3)Still have to buy food,(teenagers & 20yr olds eat more then we do,lol)
4)Vacation?,(would love to take one,still have a week,don't want to spend it at home again,wildwood for the night or hammonton for the wkd,nice town!)
5)Public Transportation,please I hope not!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,535,353 times
I am definately driving less and gas is about 3.75 a gallon where I am. Food is gone up crazy and I am eating less! Public transportation is out for me there is just no way or options. Vacation is still on but I own a cabin so its free and just gas.

I will say everyone where I live is worried about gas. We are in a part of the State that you have to drive. I see nothing but misery with these prices and am definately changing certain things about my driving. I am cheap and try to cut back where I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia