Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:00 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,386,076 times

Advertisements

I would suggest staying away from electric heat. Very expensive. Also, factor in if the heat and hot water are included. Some people like that, even though they pay a little more for it. If it's not included, you can request that info from the utility (gas) or get the records from the oil delivery company. Good luck - I'll be moving to Barrington in less than 5 years, and Dover will be where I go to shop. It rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 02:54 PM

82 posts, read 391,749 times
This is from a prior post on Dover, as I have posted many times prior singing the praises of Dover...

We are MA transplants who have lived in the Garrison City now for nine years (it still amazes me it's been that long!). We moved to NH from the Merrimack Valley in MA because a home was more affordable. We drew a square on a map based on commute times to MA (both working there at the time), then narrowed down our search based on tax rates. Dover was initially further North than we wanted to look, but our Realtor encouraged us to"broaden our horizons" and I'm glad we did!

There are still some negative impressions of Dover left over from years ago and that colors some people's impression of the city today. We live in a relatively small subdivision on the north side of town; we relocated from the south side five years ago. Our neighborhood is about seven years old, with two cul-de-sacs, a city-maintained ball field, city-maintained playground, and nature trail. We have city water, city sewer, trash and recycling pick-up curbside, and publicly maintained roads. We are convenient to everyday shopping (ie: groceries, Target, Home Depot, etc.) and close to the Turnpike.

According to the last reported statistics I saw, Dover had 2 (that's TWO) violent crimes in 2005 or 2006. We have a wonderful, full-time police department (including motorcycle and mounted officers), a great fire department with full-time EMS, and, in my opinion, a very good school system. Granted, it is not Oyster River (Durham/Lee/Madbury) or Stratham/ Exeter, but then again we don't pay their tax rates either (not that ours are cheap by any means). We currently have two children (ages 7 and 8) in public schools, one of whom is an insulin-dependent diabetic; the public school system here in Dover is one of the reasons we bought here in the first place. While it has been rated "in need of improvement" lately, they are working hard to correct deficiencies and I feel my children get an excellent education.

When we first bought here, we chose our starter home over others we had considered in Stratham and Exeter. I was a Realtor when we sold that house three years later (no longer licensed...kids take up too much time!). We made a killing and could have bought anywhere here on the Seacoast, yet we CHOSE to stay here in Dover.

My husband is an ED nurse at the local hospital, and I work at a local walk-in medical clinic. I find plenty to do here for myself and the kids: great (although small) walking downtown with GREAT restaurants (try Christopher's On Third for a terrific meal!) and good small-city bars (although probably not for the newly-legal set-usually a bit older crowd than that), many city-sponsored events throughout the year (Apple Harvest, outdoor concerts, outdoor kids series shows), city pool and skating rink (although talk of pool not opening this year due to budget constraints), sledding/tubing hill, train station, etc. Great city sports programs (although they do cost extra), after-school programs...I could go on! Also, the Children's Museum is relocating here from Portsmouth.

Obviously, I like my city! PM me with any particular questions or if I can be of help in any way! Good luck!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 7,403 times
Yes, definitely avoid electric heat and try to rent a place with heat included... or save year round to pay oil in the winter...

There is much more to do in downtown Dover now than when we first moved here 10 years ago... plenty of bars & restaurants within walking distance of each other. I would avoid renting in the immediate downtown to avoid noise, late night college co-ed drunkeness, etc (we lived on First St. for a while and it got old) but there are beautiful, historic neighborhoods within a 5-15 minute walk from downtown - areas around Lexington Street or Elm Street for example. And plenty of nice neighborhoods outside of town that are great for families (larger yards, etc.) Portsmouth is really nice to go to but more expensive to live. And Dover is 1/2 hr to beaches in Southern Maine or NH and not too far from skiing either. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 AM

6 posts, read 20,544 times
Make sure you apartment including heat is up to code such as checking town to see if it was built with a permit. Check water presser, electric and whether or not it is a well (not good) and or shared water pump. I found out there were so many problems with this apt that I am now withholding rent. They won't fix the problems and it doesn't exist in the town as far as permits go it never had one and now the landlords son is doing more upgrades without a permit. I was concerned so after speaking to the building code inspector, I was given an eviction notice without a reason, has to have a valid reason to evict me. Am now fighting it but to be honest it has become fun for me, my future career is lawyer starting in September. I want to help those who have fallen through the cracks like low income people who do not know the law and aren't helped by all these wonderful programs that just don't help if they don't understand anything. Check it all, don't get stuck, know yours and the landlords rights. Ask for the past years bills if paying utilities, even if included you will need to be sure of weatherization, 65 degrees isn't really warm and that is how they keep their costs down during tenancy plus you cannot turn up the heat. I wish you luck in finding a place affordable and clean plus to code in every way possible. One must be careful wherever they live. I am just the voice for the underdogs including myself. I love the area don't get me wrong but landlords get into the housing projects for big money and fast profits. Most are out of state so emergency work is put off. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS, they have pamphlets at LARC. Again Good luck, nice area and close to amenities.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:29 PM

46 posts, read 221,309 times
I grew up in the Dover/Portsmouth area and it is great. You will be 1 hr from Boston for all the cultural adventure you want. Perhaps a half hour from the ocean and an hour from the mountains. You will have all you want and more to do if you are adventurous. It is a wonderful area. I only left because I am getting older and the cold really bothered me. I miss it but love Florida. You will be very happy there..BE ADVENTUROUS and take advantage of what the area offers. ENJOY

Old 01-31-2010, 05:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,254,712 times
You hit the nail on the head with that description of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire