Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,531 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be transferring to Dover, New Hampshire at the end of February. What can we expect of the town in general? We do not have any kids so schools are not an issue at the moment. We both have jobs lined up, as well as a apartment to rent so jobs and housing are also not an issue.

We also align ourselves politically with New Hampshire better than any state. We really like the Libertarian attitude, and completely support. Our only worry is that we decide to settle down in New Hampshire, but in ten years or so the on flux of Massachusetts Liberals hopping the border might change the politics of the state. Is this likely, or just me being pessimistic?

We both have never even been in the New England area! We aware that it is cold up there, and that doesn't really bother us. We actually prefer the cold for the most part. How far of a drive is it to Portsmouth? Boston? Portland? How is the snow removal? Whats the downtown like? What good restaurants are in town? What big chains are in town?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 07:40 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Your'e gonna love it.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Don't worry, be happy 10 years is a long time. The more people like you who move here the better off we are. This whole Massachusetts thing is not quite true.....we often get their best people that move here.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
How far of a drive is it to Portsmouth? Boston? Portland? How is the snow removal?
can't speak to your other questions, but from Dover you are close to all 3. in general, snow removal in NH on state roads is very good. town roads depends entirely on the town, but usually fine. However, some roads get plowed bare, while others get 'packed down'.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM

477 posts, read 900,078 times
Left that area back in '95. Grew up in Somersworth.

Dover has a lot to offer, actually. It is a decent area, close to everything. Portsmouth is just down the road, literally.

For me, it's just too many people, though. There are nice "suburb" towns in the area also if you want to live with a few less people around you.

Do either of you work for Liberty Mutual? Just a guess. They are a big employer in the area.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
I think Dover is great. I've lived downtown and I've lived on the outskirts. I'll be building a house in Barrington (15 minutes away) in a few years. While I wouldn't want to live in the city now, I do consider it almost as good as Portsmouth for shopping, and it's got all the chains you need. If Dover doesn't have it, then Rochester probably does. Doesn't matter, because Portsmouth is 15-20 minutes away and they'll have everything.

Dover is cheaper than Portsmouth housing-wise. Beware of the commute over the Little Bay Bridge, though on Rt 16. There'll be a better bridge in place at the end of 2013, but until then the traffic will be snarled for sure.

The downtown is nice, although not as vibrant as Portsmouth. There's plenty of nightlife, though. I'll be happy to drive the 15 minutes to "the city" for shopping and entertainment from Barrington.

Good luck - I'm envious of your upcoming move.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 PM

477 posts, read 900,078 times
Steve, I can remember when that bridge was new and was the answer to the old bridge not being able to handle the traffic. Doesn't seem like it was that long ago, either.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:49 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Wonder how long it will take for the new bridge to get overwhelmed? Not a happy thought.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,014 times
You bet you'll love it....every time is rains, the drops make the Ka-Ching sound.....money flows to City Hall....new tax on rain......what will they think of to next to rob from you

Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 15,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvar Odd View Post
My wife and I will be transferring to Dover, New Hampshire at the end of February. What can we expect of the town in general? We do not have any kids so schools are not an issue at the moment. We both have jobs lined up, as well as a apartment to rent so jobs and housing are also not an issue.

We also align ourselves politically with New Hampshire better than any state. We really like the Libertarian attitude, and completely support. Our only worry is that we decide to settle down in New Hampshire, but in ten years or so the on flux of Massachusetts Liberals hopping the border might change the politics of the state. Is this likely, or just me being pessimistic?

We both have never even been in the New England area! We aware that it is cold up there, and that doesn't really bother us. We actually prefer the cold for the most part. How far of a drive is it to Portsmouth? Boston? Portland? How is the snow removal? Whats the downtown like? What good restaurants are in town? What big chains are in town?

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dover's been great. Lived here for almost 11 years now. Portsmouth is about a 10 min drive down the turnpike. Boston is typically 1 1/2 hrs - more depending on time of day in MA. Portland is about an hour too.

Dover in my opinion is one of the best with snow removal. The highway and major streets are cleared/treated soonest and best of other surrounding towns. My only gripe with snow storms are the on/off ramps from the highways. While schools will close during storms, most businesses remain open (Liberty Mutual never closes), so we trudge through and head to work. I stay in the slow lane as it can be very slippery between the lanes on the highway. There's always those who want to go fast and pass, but I've seen several of them spun out on the side down the road.

The downtown is great with nice stores, restaurants and bars. The chain restaurants are all at the north end (Exit 9 - Somersworth border) and include 99, Applebees, Chilis, Uno's (and fast food chains). There's 3 grocers there too - Hannafords, Shaws, DeMoula's. Wally World and Target are just a a mile or two down that road too.

Basically, Dover is ideal in that it' still has the small town feel (from a CA person) with the quaint downtown and is still easily accessible to Portsmouth (with a small mall on the way there too) and Boston if you want the 'real' traffic and crowds.

Best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire