Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,040,966 times

Advertisements

I need advice from people with more experience in basements and things.
We're looking at a house in Greenville, it's really sweet and we like it even on a second viewing. But there's maybe a problem in the basement.

the front wall has a spot of staining -it's not fuzzy or damp, just ugly. We thought maybe something had been against it that leaked (like a freezer?) but others seem to think it's water coming through the concrete block wall that is/will mold and the only way to fix it is to dig down and put in a french drain.

there is also some light staining on the far floor, where water has seeped in a little but it doesn't look like much. That can easily be handled by using pallets and/or plastic tubs for anything stored around there. The disclosure does say 'some seepage during heavy rains for long period', but does this seem like a huge problem, or something we can ignore/fix easily/learn to accept? What do people with more experience think? No, we haven't put in an offer: DH is 'still thinking'

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM

909 posts, read 3,365,273 times
Does the basement have a sump pump? I know during the power outage, our basement flooded when the sump pump stopped working, and part of that was from water seeping in cracks in the floor. I still don't know if/how that can be fixed.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 PM

There is a small square hole that is sump pump sized in another part of the basement. The agent said that it looked like they were going to put one in, but didn't.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:21 PM

148 posts, read 389,472 times
I would say that it is seepage from the outside. It is following the lines of the cinderblocks and I would want them to have it properly sealed from the outside. This can be a bit costly and would consider that in any offer you might make to the owners on the property.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:18 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,119,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer View Post
I would say that it is seepage from the outside. It is following the lines of the cinderblocks and I would want them to have it properly sealed from the outside. This can be a bit costly and would consider that in any offer you might make to the owners on the property.
Yup.

It needs to be sealed, and then back filled with a dry well and 3/4 crushed gravel is how I'd do it.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Can't you paint it with tar or sealant or something from the inside where you can get at it?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 PM

148 posts, read 389,472 times
That may work for a small spot but this looks kind of extensive and may be spreading. Looks like it may be into the frame around the window. It may not feel moldy right now but wait till the snow melts or a really good rain.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Looks like the footing drains, if any were installed, have failed. If you do not want to repair the drains or install new ones avoid this building.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:25 AM

452 posts, read 1,734,783 times
Morning Wanna,

I'm going to venture a guess that the basement window frame is deteriorated. It window appears to be of metal frame construction and the sill is most likely rusted allowing water to penetrate into the hollow concrete block foundation wall below. As water penetrates the interior of the block, it will be diverted to the seams from the uncleaned interior mortar joints and seep through to the interior surface.

This problem appears to have been on going for some time yet, I don't see any substantial deterioration of the mortar joints to either side of the window. This is why I feel the problem is with the window and not necessarily poor drainage or seasonal high water. Another guess is the window has been installed under the drip line of a roof and rain water splash back has had an effect on the metal frame over time.

I'm not saying that poor drainage or seasonal high water problems don't exist at this property. I'm just making assumptions with the photos you've provided.

It's just a guess, hope it helps......

Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM

JT I could hug you! this house is so perfect in all other ways (ok, so the master bedroom is pepto pink that can be painted), this is the worst that I could see anywhere.

One mistake: the window wall isn't the front wall, it's the back. And I think it's currently under the back deck. With all the snow, we didn't go out back and could only peer through the back door the floor stain is on the front wall.

so... either the deck will protect from water leaking in now, or we would need to crawl under there and put in one of those bubble things? and tend to the frame at some point?

If only I could get DH to stop 'thinking about it' and do something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire