Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 AM

57 posts, read 90,428 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Buying new to me home in litchfield. This is short sale home at great buy.

All inspections are back. We have one issue, the water. Arsenic Came back with 27ppb, EPA wants 10ppb (part per billion). Old reg were 50ppb. A good RO system will remove all arsenic. Would be filtering bath and kitchen taps.

Just not sure on how to feel about this. Don't want to second guess my water for my family and don't want others to second guess the water.

Any advice on info is welcome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
first of all - arsenic in NH's water is very common. It's natural. We are the granite state and granite contains arsenic. Do you know if it's type III or V?

V is easier to correct than III. Arsenic can easily be corrected with water filtration systems.

Roughly 15- 20% of NH wells are contaminated. At least 150 public schools have also tested positive for arsenic levels above the new recommendations. They are having filtration systems installed to correct the problem.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,496,017 times
We had the same levels 30ppb when we bought our house last year. my wife had the same concerns. We ended up just going with a reverse osmosis system with an arsenic filter on it for the kitchen sink and the ice maker. We both drink the water and dont even think about it now.

The bigger issue we had was with radon, had to get a bubble up system for that at 4k$!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:06 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,068,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68428GOAT View Post
All inspections are back. We have one issue, the water. Arsenic Came back with 27ppb, EPA wants 10ppb (part per billion). Old reg were 50ppb. A good RO system will remove all arsenic. Would be filtering bath and kitchen taps.

Just not sure on how to feel about this.
The old reg was 50ppb and it was lowered because of worries for pregnant women & babies I believe. Your current level is about 1/2 that... The RO system is very effective as you stated and it sounds like it would definitely bring it below limits (and probably eliminate almost all of it).

Personally, I wouldn't be too worried...given all the above. It sounds like you have a clear mitigation option.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,914,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
We had the same levels 30ppb when we bought our house last year. my wife had the same concerns. We ended up just going with a reverse osmosis system with an arsenic filter on it for the kitchen sink and the ice maker. We both drink the water and dont even think about it now.

The bigger issue we had was with radon, had to get a bubble up system for that at 4k$!
How often do you retest to make sure your system is still working?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM

Great info !!

I am looking around at few systems. Second wind in manchester has a system but, very pricey.
They are known for that too.

Looking for something that filtered water will still come out the faucet not the little 1/4" diameter spout mounted next to it.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,496,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
How often do you retest to make sure your system is still working?
The filters on the reverse osmosis is changed every year, the arsenic one is changed every 3 years. They (well water company) will retest the water annually for like 35 bucks for arsenic levels if you choose too.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:13 AM

Chris, do you have your filtered water come out the faucet or the smaller spout ?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post

What brand system did you go with ? And did you retest after install ?

Thank you

Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Personally I would not worry about it. 27 ppb is a VERY small amount and IMHO not likely to harm you even if you were a fish. The EPA probably has been heavily lobbied by the treatment system suppliers to lower allowable standards so they can sell more treatment units. Similarly, unless you live 24/7/365 in a basement sealed tighter than a thermos bottle, Radon is another deliberately created problem to sell treatment systems.

In any case you can spend thousands to improve your perceived security without actually achieving any change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire