Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire native concerned about too many progressive ideas in state, too many transplants trying to change culture of the state, progressive ideas endangering NH

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times

Advertisements

I live and work in Connecticut my family and I spend a great deal time in NH. We have more close relationships in NH than in our home state of Connecticut.

People in Connecticut are often too busy and over scheduled to slow down and get to know each other. Over the years I have seen more liberal people being attracted to NH because of its beauty, recreation, and relatively safe places for their kids to play.

One of the first things these new arrivals try to do is recreate the environment they left by trying to implement their progressive ideas. Often many of the progressives sarcastically say "live free or die," when they are not able to get what they want from the court system. They often view native residents of NH as narrow-minded and less educated.

I hope that progress does not change NH into what the other "progressive" states have become. I'd like to know that there is still somewhere my family and I can go where people have the pride to try and take care of themselves, their friends and neighbors through their own hard work, actions, and kindness and not assign it to some impersonal government program.

God Bless New Hampshire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 06:41 PM

117 posts, read 485,944 times
Bravo. I agree Nh is unique and needs to be preserved as is

Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,397 times
Don't worry there is a strong hold out that is still here. Let the liberals visit but drive them back when their time is up. This in NH the LIVE FREE OR DIE state and i'm PROUD to call it home.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
But, but, but, you promised me chowder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Don't worry there is a strong hold out that is still here. Let the liberals visit but drive them back when their time is up. This in NH the LIVE FREE OR DIE state and i'm PROUD to call it home.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,183 times
Wow, this is the same sentiment we had in 1970s. I guess compared to CT/MA/RI New Hampshire still has quite an appeal. I enjoyed my years there, but southern NH, the lakes region, and the seacoast is no longer the same. Either it's been overbuilt or overpriced.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:46 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
LOL You can hold me to that.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:57 PM

625 posts, read 2,436,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I hear the Weathervane over in Kittery is pretty good...

Old 02-14-2007, 12:40 AM

562 posts, read 660,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I live and work in Connecticut my family and I spend a great deal time in NH. We have more close relationships in NH than in our home state of Connecticut.

People in Connecticut are often too busy and over scheduled to slow down and get to know each other. Over the years I have seen more liberal people being attracted to NH because of its beauty, recreation, and relatively safe places for their kids to play.

One of the first things these new arrivals try to do is recreate the environment they left by trying to implement their progressive ideas. Often many of the progressives sarcastically say "live free or die," when they are not able to get what they want from the court system. They often view native residents of NH as narrow-minded and less educated.

I hope that progress does not change NH into what the other "progressive" states have become. I'd like to know that there is still somewhere my family and I can go where people have the pride to try and take care of themselves, their friends and neighbors through their own hard work, actions, and kindness and not assign it to some impersonal government program.

God Bless New Hampshire!

I agree 100%. Let the liberals and gay rights activists etc move to mass. or berkeley calif. and leave a 'clean' state.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times
those people who move to NH or SC where I am from, they want the state and the people to change to meet their views not accepting the views of the people who have lived there their entire life. It is a liberal/prgressive agenda to get legal actions to change the culture en masse.

Ct has yale

NH has Dartmouth

Mass has Harvard

RI has Brown(yeahh my alma mater)

how can people from outside of NH call the people there narrowminded, when each state has an Ivy and very educated people.

Hmmmmm, me thinks HYPOCRISY!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
those people who move to NH or SC where I am from, they want the state and the people to change to meet their views not accepting the views of the people who have lived there their entire life. It is a liberal/prgressive agenda to get legal actions to change the culture en masse.

Ct has yale

NH has Dartmouth

Mass has Harvard

RI has Brown(yeahh my alma mater)

how can people from outside of NH call the people there narrowminded, when each state has an Ivy and very educated people.

Hmmmmm, me thinks HYPOCRISY!!!!
You are right! As a matter of fact NH has many very well educated people and intuitive ones as well. There is a reason why NH has been an important part of our political process. There is a lot of common sense there. People who work hard and pride themselves on self-sufficiency are the type of values this country was built on.

If one chooses not to take advantage of what our country has to offer that is their choice. We, as a society, should not have to equalize the outcomes of people who chose to make poor choices. We should take care of people who are unable to care for themselves through no fault of their own. That is our obligation as a society.

If many of the enlightned such as our gloriously revered Hollywood celebrities believe that we should equalize the outcomes of all those who do not equally enjoy the rewards of hard work then perhaps they would be in support of a supplementary voluntary income tax earmarked for new social programs to "equalize" our society.

I'm sure they would be more than willing to pony up the cash (NOT!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire