Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Hampshire native concerned about too many progressive ideas in state, too many transplants trying to change culture of the state, progressive ideas endangering NH

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:25 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,386,938 times

Advertisements

Here's the exemption out of the NH RSA:

72:28 Standard and Optional Veterans' Tax Credit. –
I. The standard veterans' tax credit shall be $50.
II. The optional veterans' tax credit, upon adoption by a city or town pursuant to RSA 72:27-a, shall be an amount from $51 up to $500. The optional veterans' tax credit shall replace the standard veterans' tax credit in its entirety and shall not be in addition thereto.
III. Either the standard veterans' tax credit or the optional veterans' tax credit shall be subtracted each year from the property tax on the veteran's residential property. However, the surviving spouse of a resident who suffered a service-connected death may have the amount subtracted from the property tax on any real property in the same municipality where the surviving spouse is a resident.
IV. The following persons shall qualify for the standard veterans' tax credit or the optional veterans' tax credit:
(a) Every resident of this state who served not less than 90 days in the armed forces of the United States in any qualifying war or armed conflict listed in this section and was honorably discharged or an officer honorably separated from service; or the spouse or surviving spouse of such resident, provided that Title 10 training for active duty by a member of a national guard or reserve shall be included as service under this subparagraph;
(b) Every resident of this state who was terminated from the armed forces because of service-connected disability; or the surviving spouse of such resident; and
(c) The surviving spouse of any resident who suffered a service-connected death.
V. Service in a qualifying war or armed conflict shall be as follows:
(a) "World War I'' between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918, extended to April 1, 1920 for service in Russia; provided that military or naval service on or after November 12, 1918 and before July 2, 1921, where there was prior service between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918 shall be considered as World War I service;
(b) "World War II'' between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946;
(c) "Korean Conflict'' between June 25, 1950 and January 31, 1955;
(d) "Vietnam Conflict'' between December 22, 1961 and May 7, 1975;
(e) "Vietnam Conflict'' between July 1, 1958 and December 22, 1961, if the resident earned the Vietnam service medal or the armed forces expeditionary medal;
(f) "Persian Gulf War'' between August 2, 1990 and the date thereafter prescribed by Presidential proclamation or by law; and
(g) Any other war or armed conflict that has occurred since May 8, 1975, and in which the resident earned an armed forces expeditionary medal or theater of operations service medal.

So NH's exemption is for wartime veterans and those discharged with service-connected disability. It's not for ALL veterans. And the state only mandates a $50 credit, which goes away if the town decides to offer the optional credit up to $500.

The town's credit is OPTIONAL - the state is not forcing anyone to do this, unlike this NY community's situation:

Veterans tax exemption means neighbors must pick up the tab

So if you don't want it, then bring it up at your next town meeting and get rid of it. It's in the town's power to offer and take away. No one is coming here demanding anything. I didn't move here for a property tax credit. Honestly, with fewer and fewer members of American society serving in the armed forces (7.3% of all living Americans), and fewer yet serving during wartime, we're not talking a giant amount of money.

What Percentage Of Americans Have Served In The Military? | FiveThirtyEight

But if you still feel it's such a burden to show a little appreciation for wartime and disabled vets, then by all means get with your fellow townsfolk and get rid of it.

Miu, your grandfather was one of thousands of brave Airmen who risked and lost their lives in the skies over Europe. As a percentage of personnel, their losses were among the greatest of the war. They paid a heavy price to win the war in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:06 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,224,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
So if you don't want it, then bring it up at your next town meeting and get rid of it. It's in the town's power to offer and take away. No one is coming here demanding anything. I didn't move here for a property tax credit. Honestly, with fewer and fewer members of American society serving in the armed forces (7.3% of all living Americans), and fewer yet serving during wartime, we're not talking a giant amount of money.
Steve, you aren't but I do think that folkguitarist555 has a much different attitude than you. His posts are full of sour grapes as to why he feels unable to move back to New England and buy a home. He is on the hunt for the state that can offer him the most in tax discounts due to his veterans status.

As to whether or not vets getting a significant discount on their property taxes in NH would be a "giant sum of money", again it would depend on how many veterans decided to buy into a particular town. The smaller and/or less populated a town, the great a burden that would be to the rest of the property owners there. I was just visiting Acworth and their population is only around 900 people. The town is so small that they don't have their own police force. So no, I don't think that they could afford to have several vets buying homes there and have significant property tax discounts. On the other hand, decent sized cities such as Concord, Manchester or Nashua could more easily shoulder the burden of offering large property tax discounts to war or disabled vets.

But again, like any city or town that offers some sort of desirable amenity, that place becomes a magnet for outsiders wanting more of the same... and that ends up costing those towns in resources and having a lesser quality of life for the longtime residents. I realize that The C-D board is all about sharing information, but if you really think about it, if anyone has found the perfect place to live, the best tactic to preserve their Shangri-La is to just keep mum about it.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:58 AM

101 posts, read 123,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
2nd highest property taxes in the USA I believe, also one of the highest electricity rates per kilowatt per hour, and also most homes use propane or oil heat I believe, which is expensive, and food at the supermarket's was even higher then food prices here in Seattle imo. Oh, and gas prices for cars,....high....the only thing I found cheap in NH was cigarettes...that is it...period. Lovely state, but very very expensive all across the board in my opinion. Live free and die from how expensive NH is....should be the motto...
Ever hear of the expression , you get what you pay for?

Seattle now is overly expensive and they're going down the drain far faster with what someone said about the 15 dollar minimum and Portland is also highly overrated. New Hampshire is a better quality of life than those for most things. Personally I would eat whatever costs I'd have because you always know where you COULD be.

New Hampshire lets see, high property tax but very low minimal crime, nice people mostly, probably lowest concentration of A-holes I've ever seen out of every state I've been and lived, doesn't mean theres zero though of course.. Good schools, overall you get what you pay for. Also Castros Back Room is awesome for someone who likes cheap tobacco/cigars. I don't live in NH now, but will I ever move there? who knows maybe. If I have to leave Tampa area one day, I am either deciding on a New England return only in NH this time (originally M*******) OR go somewhere like Knoxville maybe but NH is the devil I know even if it costs more than East TN which it does but AGAIN, it goes back to a you get what you pay for argument.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
long, freezing, heavily snowed winters, cliquish borderline cold people socially speaking, ridiculously high rent prices for living out in the middle of nowhere, cars under carriages rust out, tough to pass car inspections, property taxes are ridiculous, no property exemptions for service connected veterans unless they are a double amputee or blind in both eyes........yea, .....a real veteran friendly state,.....my tush. NH has only two things going for it,......the beauty of the state, and the low population levels.....and that is it in my opinion. I like NH, but retiring there, imo, makes zero sense......unless one has a large income. just my opinion and view.
So you wouldn't say the job economy has picked up then? I would imagine NH to be higher in job growth now than Massachusetts is but maybe not. I know that if its hard to find work, NH probably doesn't pay out benefits when you're out of work or offer any welfare so, if that's the case then ya, you may have to move there with all your ducks in a row because with the slow way of life, that also means people may not be as quick to move if you need a job either especially coming from somewhere else. I mean of course it be better than moving to Portland OR and less insular but it doesn't mean its without problems so, whats your take on everything I said?

Old 06-04-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
long, freezing, heavily snowed winters, cliquish borderline cold people socially speaking, ridiculously high rent prices for living out in the middle of nowhere, cars under carriages rust out, tough to pass car inspections, property taxes are ridiculous, no property exemptions for service connected veterans unless they are a double amputee or blind in both eyes........yea, .....a real veteran friendly state,.....my tush. NH has only two things going for it,......the beauty of the state, and the low population levels.....and that is it in my opinion. I like NH, but retiring there, imo, makes zero sense......unless one has a large income. just my opinion and view.
So you wouldn't say the job economy has picked up then? I would imagine NH to be higher in job growth now than Massachusetts is but maybe not. I know that if its hard to find work, NH probably doesn't pay out benefits when you're out of work or offer any welfare so, if that's the case then ya, you may have to move there with all your ducks in a row because with the slow way of life, that also means people may not be as quick to move if you need a job either especially coming from somewhere else. I mean of course it be better than moving to Portland OR and less insular but it doesn't mean its without problems so, whats your take on everything I said? I think the plus about it is you can meet MA ex pats and they'd be more relaxed up there than when they were in MA, not everyone maybe but my personal experiences indicate MA people who move up there get nicer and warmer.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times
Portland Oregon or Portland NH? I'll take the latter, thank you. I would rather have great sunrises then great sunsets.

Judging by the Help Wanted signs all over the places near Manchester I would say the economy has improved.

The Town Veterans Tax discounts are not that much if you have an expensive house. I appreciate mine as it is a substantial amount of the tax on my old condominium.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:21 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,025,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Being a veteran means that you've served your COUNTRY.. and thank you for that. But why should NH as a state give veterans a discount on their property taxes?
I guess the NH Veterans Home is out too !

But other states seem to appreciated veterans and their service to this country.
And this list does not include the list of states that provide tuition waiver for state colleges and state universities for veterans.

Again, thank you for your service !
Moderator cut: post edited, copyright protection. Next time instead of copying the whole list, simply post a link to it just as I'm doing below

Full List of Property Tax Exemptions By State

Last edited by Yac; 06-09-2015 at 03:32 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 08:02 AM

101 posts, read 97,113 times
It’s called change, ever heard of it? It happens, whether you like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire