Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 04:22 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times

Advertisements

I know the seacoast NH area best... Exeter is only about 40 mins drive from Manchester airport. Then Exeter, Newmarket and Dover and interesting river towns and Rye, Portsmouth and Kittery are interesting coastal towns - historical buildings, quaint shops, pretty outdoors and nice local parks and beaches. There are numerous brewpubs and great seafood in the area, plus you could do something like a guided kayak paddle in the beautiful Great Bay or out at NewCastle, take a cruise out to the Isles of Shoals. hire a guide to take you striper or bluefish fishing inshore, visit historic StrawBerry Bank museum (a bit like a New England version of Williamsburg). If you have more than a few days, you could drive north up the coast a little further and visit Ogunquit, Cape Elizabeth and Portland, Maine, get a proper lobster roll or steamed lobster meal, add in a lobster boat ride or some whale watching, lighthouse peeping, take the ferry out to Peaks Island and visit some of the great Portland restaurants. A week would provide enough time to experience this lovely stretch of New England coast without rushing too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 05:44 PM

403 posts, read 771,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I know the seacoast NH area best... Exeter is only about 40 mins drive from Manchester airport. Then Exeter, Newmarket and Dover and interesting river towns and Rye, Portsmouth and Kittery are interesting coastal towns - historical buildings, quaint shops, pretty outdoors and nice local parks and beaches. There are numerous brewpubs and great seafood in the area, plus you could do something like a guided kayak paddle in the beautiful Great Bay or out at NewCastle, take a cruise out to the Isles of Shoals. hire a guide to take you striper or bluefish fishing inshore, visit historic StrawBerry Bank museum (a bit like a New England version of Williamsburg). If you have more than a few days, you could drive north up the coast a little further and visit Ogunquit, Cape Elizabeth and Portland, Maine, get a proper lobster roll or steamed lobster meal, add in a lobster boat ride or some whale watching, lighthouse peeping, take the ferry out to Peaks Island and visit some of the great Portland restaurants. A week would provide enough time to experience this lovely stretch of New England coast without rushing too much.
We've actually been to the Portsmouth area and LOVED it!

Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM

We are trying to decide between western White Mountains, maybe the Franconia area and combining it with perhaps the Woodstock VT area or going to the Eastern White Mountains around Jackson and also visiting Ogonquit ME. Which area would you say has more to do?

Old 08-14-2019, 06:22 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Regarding the White Mountains, I used to go a lot but not so much recently, so I will leave it to others with more current experience on specific locations.

One thing though regarding timing... you're saying late spring early summer, and being outdoors and maybe swimming a lot... as I recall from my hiking and backpacking days anyways, black flies can be pretty fierce from the last week of May through at least the first 3 weeks of June. You can get get in ahead of the black flies by going in late April or early May, but, then there will be snow in high passes and the lakes will be iced over early on and still frigid for swimming by mid-May. I'd suggest either adjusting your activities a bit and going early to mid-May, or waiting until the last week of June to where the black flies begin to taper off and the lakes begin to warm up for more reasonable swimming. Weather and insect wise, last week of June through the first week in September are nicest, IMO, for warm weather outdoor activities.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Regarding the White Mountains, I used to go a lot but not so much recently, so I will leave it to others with more current experience on specific locations.

One thing though regarding timing... you're saying late spring early summer, and being outdoors and maybe swimming a lot... as I recall from my hiking and backpacking days anyways, black flies can be pretty fierce from the last week of May through at least the first 3 weeks of June. You can get get in ahead of the black flies by going in late April or early May, but, then there will be snow in high passes and the lakes will be iced over early on and still frigid for swimming by mid-May. I'd suggest either adjusting your activities a bit and going early to mid-May, or waiting until the last week of June to where the black flies begin to taper off and the lakes begin to warm up for more reasonable swimming. Weather and insect wise, last week of June through the first week in September are nicest, IMO, for warm weather outdoor activities.
Yes, after thinking a bit more, we would probably go mid July or mid September instead. We aren't swimmers, but do like to kayak and jetski, although these aren't necessities if there are lots of other activities. I remember seeing something about a sled dog experience and moose tours. I will have to further research where these are at.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:34 PM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
The sled dog races are held in Laconia in February. https://www.lrsdc.org/

Old 09-03-2019, 04:21 PM

So, what would be a good central point to see attractions on the eastern and western side of the mountains?

Old 09-03-2019, 06:49 PM

199 posts, read 181,471 times
For non-nature and outdoor activities, there is a lot more to do in Jackson/Conway area than Franconia area. If you are going to play around the west side, then look at all Lincoln has to offer. I think Lincoln is the best central area to see all of the Whites.

Regarding outdoor fun, either area is fine. I'm in the Whites every week or two playing around and never run out of hikes to do or sights to see.

Good advice about spring and bugs earlier. I personally think mid July to mid August is the best time to visit if you want to swim. If you don't want to play in the water then mid September to mid October is great, especially during peak fall foliage.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:51 AM

We are looking more for attractions and nice towns to walk around. We have tons of hiking and kayaking spots here, so we probably wouldn't spend too much time doing that there since we will most likely only have around 3 days to spend. We were looking at the cog railways, atv tours, moose tours, dog sled experience, etc...

Old 09-04-2019, 07:03 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Summer dog sled attractions consist of the dogs pulling a cart across a field. You'll need to come back in the winter for a real "dog sled experience."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire