Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:08 PM

686 posts, read 1,770,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica View Post
Yes we'll have to visit and form our own opinion for sure. The thing is that even if everyone has an opinion, through this forum you can feel what towns are mostly loved and which ones are arising mixed feelings. But of course, we'll check and have our own observations to make the choice.
True, there is no substitute for personal experience.

The tree streets of Nashua do not have a great reputation and frankly, I don't feel encouraged to consider them for living. However, my experience is that $900 can get you a 1-bedroom apartment in other ("better") parts of Nashua. For example, A Gilbert Campbell property off DW Highway has no-lease apartments that fit your budget. These apartments are simple, clean, and conveniently located to shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,380,177 times
I was going to suggest you stay in Mass and go as far west as you can tolerate a commute, and saw that you had posted in the Mass forum. Honestly I think you have a tall order there: walkable, cheap, yuppified and within commuting distance of Waltham.

I suspect you are going to have to give up on at least one of the items on your wish list sooner or later since I don't think what you want exists anywhere in New England.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
AFFORDABLE, CULTURAL, WALKABLE - for $900 per month pick any two.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 PM

30 posts, read 67,222 times
I realize that. I thought there were some hidden gem but apparently nowhere can fit those criteria.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM

22 posts, read 21,973 times
Quote:

Also, we are in our late 20's-early 30's and would like a place to meet people like us.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!!
I noticed you're still fairly young. If a change of employment would be possible (and in today's job market, that's iffy), I would suggest the Keene area. The downtown is beautiful, and if you live close to the downtown area just about everything you might need or want is an easy walk or a very short drive away.

Of course, I've lived here for thirty-five years, so I may be a bit biased.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:22 PM

278 posts, read 656,908 times
Northampton Mass?

Old 06-01-2013, 01:50 PM

30 posts, read 67,222 times
We thought about Keene,NH because from what we read on this forum it really seem to fit our criterias. But we would like to move as soon as possible and looking for a job can take quite a while. Northampton is pretty good but the commute would be more than 1h30. But that's the kind of small yet vibrant place we're looking for.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,045,212 times
if you are determined to move before getting jobs (yep, sure can take a while to find though), I strongly suggest you rent first since you really don't know where you're going to end up - no need to lock yourself into anything longer than necessary.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:13 PM

22 posts, read 21,973 times
Quote:
We thought about Keene,NH because from what we read on this forum it really seem to fit our criterias. But we would like to move as soon as possible and looking for a job can take quite a while. Northampton is pretty good but the commute would be more than 1h30. But that's the kind of small yet vibrant place we're looking for.
I am withdrawing my recommendation of Keene. I walked downtown today, as I do just about every day, and I saw and heard of things being done by the City Fuhrers that just are not right. So I can not, in good conscience recommend this town anymore.

It's too bad. Keene used to be a nice place to live. But at least the Reich has found a home.

Of course, if totalitarianism and Leftist extremism appeal to you, this would be just the place for you.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:25 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,146,070 times
Keene's been unaffordable for a long time. They have high property values with exceptionally high taxes when compared to all surrounding towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire