Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 AM

477 posts, read 900,197 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as inexpensive train service. If the tickets are cheap, it's because everybody else is paying for those low fairs.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM

238 posts, read 315,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
These notions of trains in NH are as dead of an Idea of rebuilding the Mt Washington Hotel if and when it burns and one day it will. It is one of the last great Inns of the 1880's standing.

One wrong move and that place is toast. Din't take it wrong as i love and live for that old stuff, but when it's gone it's gone.
I'm not sure passenger trains are quite dead but I'd say the notion of them will remain dormant for at least as long as there is cheap and plentiful gasoline (or equivalents).

I agree about the Mt Washington Hotel. It will be a shame when the place folds if for no other reason than a lot of people will find themselves out of work. I don't know how many are employed there but I imagine it's substantial.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM

238 posts, read 315,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHForester View Post
There is no such thing as inexpensive train service. If the tickets are cheap, it's because everybody else is paying for those low fairs.
You could say that about a good many other shared services. Road paving, bridge maintenance, the military, Comcast internet, air travel. The later is a good example for comparison. The FAA (and TSA I think) get money from everyone's taxes, not just from the sale of airline tickets.

But I'm fairly ambivalent about train service in NH. I'm not pushing for it; not holding my breath waiting for it; but I'd likely take advantage of it were it implemented well.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeti View Post
I'm not sure passenger trains are quite dead but I'd say the notion of them will remain dormant for at least as long as there is cheap and plentiful gasoline (or equivalents).

I agree about the Mt Washington Hotel. It will be a shame when the place folds if for no other reason than a lot of people will find themselves out of work. I don't know how many are employed there but I imagine it's substantial.
What's left of most of the NH rail lines is a gravel bed. The steel and spikes are long gone any ties are fit for bonfire wood and the tracks were just turned into trails for pedal biking and walking not so many years ago.

Where will we get rails red commie china? Not far from me is Depot Road, but i couldn't tell you where the Depot was....

We would have better luck building a railroad to the moon and once that was an idea up by the cog railway

There are a few non connected scattered bits around still, some for gravel pits and some for scenic rides but mostly the whole shebang is gone.

Miles of no road bed really and nothing on it. Most of these are snowmobile trails in winter, and mt bike trails any other time.

I am not about to invest a cent so i can drive an hour or more to just get to a train station. AMTRACK isn't even carrying it's own weight. We don't need any more trains.

This is what silly city people think.. This is just like asking for Tea Packet Clippers to come back, because they held the sea going speed record until the mid 1960's. They ran on real hemp and wind...

I know what they did because i am McKay. Should I petition the govt to build clippers and whine because of the carbon tax? I don't think so..

This Govt couldn't build a box of tooth picks anyway.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:02 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
All rail service systems in the USA do not come near paying for themselves. I understand the value of transit systems in metro areas like Boston, NYC, Chicago & so on, but in a small, semi-rural state like NH it's absurd to think about spending hundreds of millions of dollars on rail.

If you want more transportation service use & expand bus lines. Boston Express out of Manchester seems to fill the needs of getting people from NH to work in the Boston area well enough.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
All rail service systems in the USA do not come near paying for themselves. I understand the value of transit systems in metro areas like Boston, NYC, Chicago & so on, but in a small, semi-rural state like NH it's absurd to think about spending hundreds of millions of dollars on rail.

If you want more transportation service use & expand bus lines. Boston Express out of Manchester seems to fill the needs of getting people from NH to work in the Boston area well enough.
I like that green lie of the train claiming hundreds of miles on a gallon of diesel fuel. Take away the big gennie and the batteries that diesel electric ain't going a inch in 1 lousy gallon of diesel fuel.

Hell of a lot of arm chair engineers around that don't know one end of a screw driver from a BTU.

Maybe a train with bendable tracks eh? I might park one of those in the dooryard. LOL

Old 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM

LOL some one just repped me to this old thread.

I don't see any train Nexis4Jersey. Now why don't that train write?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,973 times
Hey! Mac's back! Good to see you again...

Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 AM

38 posts, read 142,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Aptor here's my fat ass.

Do you think that Kimber .45 in an Alessi shoulder holder makes me look fat?
You sexy beast lol.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM

38 posts, read 142,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Here's an easy Solution to the problem , restore Rail service to Concord...that will attract Hipsters , Yuppies and more Middle Class to your Urban Areas thus flushing out the Garbage to the Rural areas...
Genius!

Extend it to Cambridge/Somerville MA as well to get even more although Lowell has trouble rebuilding even with T service to and from there so who knows if it will help Manchester NH much. People who make money in Boston know how good they have it so long as they don't drive and can live their urban dream.

The rural areas can be bad or the exurbs I should say. Billerica take for instance.. it seems to be the suburban town most of the trash are flocking to now or much has been there for awhile too but existing trash always attracts outside trash right? People see an existing dump and will dump their new crap there fresh out their rubbish haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire