Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

81 posts, read 116,373 times

Advertisements

You're right, even cronyism at it's worst couldn't sanction a proposal like this one. Public ownership would remove this ratepayer's nightmare from our midst. Don't hold out for that one, though. We'll be lucky to escape this one with our Constitutional Rights intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
As I see there is no debate, a good solid NO works and to me that's all that works. Well for so much as i can say here on line anyway

Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 PM

How do we make that "NO!" heard by the Gov, lawmakers, and utilities? They all seem to have selective hearing.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 AM

10,000 voters down in Concord with a sign that says NO.

NO to NP.
No you won't get the VOTE.
No you won't pass the buck.
No you won't pass go, and collect 200 bucks

Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I will back a NO on this absurdity.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Hydro Quebec has an agreement with the utilities to pay them 12 million dollars if the proposal fails to get permitted in a timely manner so we can expect them to throw at least that much at us in the form of media propaganda about how great they are and what a great deal and opportunity this is for us. If it wasn't so serious, it would almost be humorous. The utilities are willing to spend 12 million from HQ plus whatever they put in to try to push this doomed proposal through. Tell them to bury the line because we are never going to tolerate those huge towers in our beautiful state. In CT they force lines with a fraction of this power to be buried due to health concerns from exposure to strong electromagnetic fields. [EMF's] We're just their third world colony where they come and do as they please without regard for the people who live here or the environment. What an albatross this additional HVDC corridor would be. Did you hear about the hydro towers that fell out west in Canada the other day? Highways reopen following collapse of BC Hydro towers - British Columbia - CBC News It's happened before and it will happen again. Towers and overhead transmission lines are vulnerable to a long list of potential problems esp. considering their location up in the sky, and then there is gravity and all ...so just bury it. In Maine they consider their highways to be power corridors so why don't we? It makes more sense than cutting and maintaining a whole seperate highway just for the lines, doesn't it?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
It's obvious that the media is benefiting from this--I can't open a NH media website or newspaper without seeing their ads! I have even seen ads in the tiny local-family owned Londonderry Times--they are targeting everyone in the state, not just the North Country. I don't watch much TV, but when I occasionally watch the local WMUR news, there are usually 2 or more Northern Pass commercials, telling us how good this will be for all of New Hampshire...

Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Bury it 200 miles off shore. I have been to Sydney CB CDN.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 AM

All these ads are just a smoke screen. You know if they have to put that hard a sell on it there must be something wrong. When I was out passing out flyers the other day I spoke with a PSNH guy in a white PSNH truck with Mass plates. Nice guy, actually. He was parked on the side of the road where the lines cross. He said the existing lines were old, and don't meet the new code. This is why they want to follow the existing line ROW so they can get their lines upgraded for free when they have to rearrange the lines for the new no. pass line. Why else take such a route for power destined for southern New England? It's not exactly on the way. Is it now "We the Corporations" or "We the People"?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
It has been "We the Corporations" for several decades. It is becoming blatantly obvious the needs for endless profit and uncompromised control are more important than any consideration of law, decency or the desires of "mere citizens". Money talks and money controls. What the financiers cannot buy they ignore or crush under a wall of propaganda.

We already have power line Rights of Way from Canada to southern New England. The utilities can, and should be forced by the PUBLIC utility boards, to use them, instead of producing the environmental and economic devastation inherent win a new route.

As I, and anyone else in New Hampshire, am not likely to receive any benefits from these proposals, I see no reason to support the project. In a related manner it is about time our would be Corporate Masters get slapped down hard enough to realize Corporations are formed by the government to protect PUBLIC interests not just to reduce investor risk.

No on Northern Pass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire