Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,529 times

Advertisements

Wow can you say ugly, I've heard these ugly bugs are on a cycle and the downward side of that cycle right now. Is this true I was in Northern Nevada in June of 2006 these crickets were all over the place and my husband who was there the week prior said they were much worst than I experienced. What good are these bugs and will they eventually disappear as in not show up year after year.

I understand they play havoc on the vegitation, is there poisons or some other pestiside that would work to rid yourself of these bugs.

Also can you tell me if Scorpions are a big thing in Northern Nevada and black widows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 05:16 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Hi Tressa
I was there a couple of years ago when the crickets were real bad. I was driving near Imlay north of Lovelock and they were all over the road. I could hear this noise from running over them and the front of my car was full of them.
Have you moved to Lovelock yet or are you moving furthur up the road near Rye Patch or Imlay?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:26 PM

We will be closer to Rye Patch about 5 mles south of there in the Rocky Canyon area, as much as folks don't like the area I found it to be very peaceful and quiet and you are pretty much left alone, I love people so that will be tough to get use to and my husband and I aren't big gamblers so don't have to worry about that. We just need a place to hang our hats when were not traveling and that seemed to be a good area for a base.

We will move about this time next year the property is being approved upon and will be ready to place a home on it when we get down there in 2008

Old 06-07-2007, 07:22 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Crickets cycle, and not much you can do about them. Flamethrowers are helpful, and toasted they are tasty.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:56 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,812 times
I've seen them more in Utah than I have in Nevada, but I've seen them in both places. What's even worse about them is that they eat each other. Next time you see a few of them, step on one and see what happens. The others will climb all over the one you squished and dispose of just about all his parts. Yuch!

Old 06-08-2007, 01:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
So they eat each other. lol Do they also try to convert everyone they cross paths with before they are run over?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:12 PM

29 posts, read 154,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
So they eat each other. lol Do they also try to convert everyone they cross paths with before they are run over?
For sure! I have even seen some of them riding mountain bikes in pairs.

Seriously though, they are nasty little creatures that do indeed eat each other, and have caused car accidents because of their mass movement over highways. Squashed bugs are slicker than snot to a car tire. If you have to drive through a bunch of them, just pretend you are driving on black ice. The most I have ever seen was in Utah riding my quad on the Paiute Trail. Holy CRAP! For miles and miles, the road looked like it was moving. Luckily they are not hostile to people, just gross. What was really gross was after we passed through them, we stopped and looked at our quads. Bug guts, little legs and other various body parts all stuck to the inside of our fenders... YUCKY!
I stomped on one we ran across later that day just because some of the girls were complaining about it, and that little stinger thing that sticks out their rear end launched! Was quite amusing!

Scorpions and Black Widows are around in Central East Nevada, and I am sure they are in Northern NV as well. If you go tent camping in the dead of summer, watch out when you break down camp. Dang scorpions can crawl underneath your tent, and just hang out there. I have never ran across a black widow out in the wild, only in town. I went to do a run to the landfill one time, and as soon as I grabbed my trash can, one ran out from underneath the handle, and started running up my hand. I am sure it would have been amusing to anyone watching... a big guy freaking out like a little girl and doing a spastic breakdance. I didn't get bit, but after I flipped my arm like a whip to get it off me, it landed on the ground, turned towards me, gave me the bird and ran through a hole in the fence yelling "GIRLY MAN!!!"
No not really, I stomped on that big black bugger!
Scorpions I only normally see in the wild. Usually from over turning rocks and such. Brown Recluses are the ones to watch out for. I have seen the result of a brown recluse bite... and I seriously felt pity for the man. He got bit in the butt in his sleep, and had to have a big chunk of his butt cheek removed to prevent the further spread of the poison/decay... whatever it is. Just gross.
Also, Rattlesnakes. I have been hearing that there are some monster ones out and about this year, being more visible than other years, probably due to the lack of precip I guess. The good thing about them, is they at least warn you to stay the heck away from them. It is quite the distinct sound that even the first time you hear it is like.... "freeze... look around carefully, and back away!" If they are coiled... eek. They like to hang out in real rocky areas, so if you are into exploring old ghost towns and old mining ruins, watch yourself.
OK enough rambling from me.

Last edited by Quadmonkey; 06-09-2007 at 07:35 PM..

Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,812 times
Let's see if this photo will take. Here's link to one eating it's brother:

. . . and here's a little road kill:

. . . and a closer look:

Old 06-09-2007, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the pictures I did have the opportunity to view them up close and personal, yuk. Now about recluse I've read quite a bit about them and they are scary but I thought they preferred hot humid climant but apparently not. Don't like spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada