Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 25,326 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,I am hoping for a little guidance from some local people regarding a possible relocation from Maine to the Reno area.I am in my mid 30's (well, ok...late 30's) and would be relocating along with my wife and 2 young daughters (7 and 4) for my company.We currently live in a small town rural environment with limited local resources. Our nearest major city is about 20 miles and is only about 50,000 people. The family enjoys skiing, camping, biking, etc.My new job would be based in Reno, however I would be managing several retail centers in a pretty diverse local area and would not be in Reno more than 2 days each week. The area I would cover would include South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Tahoe, Reno, Sparks, Carson City, Minden, Washoe, and Silver Springs. As you can see, a pretty open area and somewhat difficult to pin down the best location to live.We would be hoping to spend 350-400K max on a home, schools are important along with a nice, safe neighborhood to live in with some sense of community.Any suggestions on where to look would be greatly appreciated. I have ruled out Truckee and Tahoe due to the California location (tax) however would re-consider if someone has a good reason to.Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 AM

171 posts, read 765,324 times
350-400K on a home excludes all of Tahoe and most of Truckee. Douglas County is rather expensive (Minden) and NOT very central. Carson City is a bit more central, and may be your best option. BUT, the traveling from Carson City in the winter is tough. Washoe Valley separates CC and Reno, and it can be downright scary when it is snowing. 50-90mph winds, white outs etc. To get to Tahoe you have to go over Spooner Summit and that is also tough in a winter storm. Getting to Truckee or Northshore Tahoe means either crossing Spooner Summit and traverseing the two lane highway around Tahoe (uhg), taking Mt. Rose Hwy over to Incline Village (9000' ASL pass), or taking 395 to reno and going out 80. The weather in Truckee in the winter can be brutal, as they get the most snow by far in the area.

The geography is a killer out here in getting places quickly. I have been stranded for four hours on some of the passes due to too much snow on the road, and that was in a 4x4 truck.

If you don't mind major winter weather driving, Carson is your best bet. Otherwise, the greater Reno area is better.

Welcome to Nevada, BTW. Keep an open mind and understand that personal freedom is king here.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizrade View Post
350-400K on a home excludes all of Tahoe and most of Truckee. Douglas County is rather expensive (Minden) and NOT very central. Carson City is a bit more central, and may be your best option. BUT, the traveling from Carson City in the winter is tough. Washoe Valley separates CC and Reno, and it can be downright scary when it is snowing. 50-90mph winds, white outs etc. To get to Tahoe you have to go over Spooner Summit and that is also tough in a winter storm. Getting to Truckee or Northshore Tahoe means either crossing Spooner Summit and traverseing the two lane highway around Tahoe (uhg), taking Mt. Rose Hwy over to Incline Village (9000' ASL pass), or taking 395 to reno and going out 80. The weather in Truckee in the winter can be brutal, as they get the most snow by far in the area.

The geography is a killer out here in getting places quickly. I have been stranded for four hours on some of the passes due to too much snow on the road, and that was in a 4x4 truck.

If you don't mind major winter weather driving, Carson is your best bet. Otherwise, the greater Reno area is better.

Welcome to Nevada, BTW. Keep an open mind and understand that personal freedom is king here.
I didn't know Truckee was so pricy, I expected Tahoe was out.

I had been figuring on either SW Reno or Carson City as the most likely suspects, sounds like you might agree with that.

I enjoy winter driving- we get a solid 4 months of it here in Maine and I am a skiier so it is not a new thing for me. I have a good 4X4 and can get around when I need to.

Anxious to get out there and look around, I miss personal freedom. In the NE we have lost most of it.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM

171 posts, read 765,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwink View Post
I didn't know Truckee was so pricy, I expected Tahoe was out.

I had been figuring on either SW Reno or Carson City as the most likely suspects, sounds like you might agree with that.

I enjoy winter driving- we get a solid 4 months of it here in Maine and I am a skiier so it is not a new thing for me. I have a good 4X4 and can get around when I need to.

Anxious to get out there and look around, I miss personal freedom. In the NE we have lost most of it.
I know you have. Shame.

Just be prepared for some CRAZY weather. Like Sunny and 50F in Reno, and white out blizzards in the next valley over (5 miles). It changes so fast out here, weather reports are useless except for a general idea of what is going to happen.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM

34 posts, read 350,329 times
Based on your coverage area & price range, I would recommend South Reno. Better schools and lots of young families here. You should really take a trip out here to scout it out though.

Just note the houses are built practically on top of each other and there isn't much acreage per house in this area. You'd have to go way out north to get that, which would lengthen your commute times to the areas you listed.

Washoe Valley (south of Reno, but before you hit Carson) reminded me most of the northeast... without the trees, of course.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:55 PM

Ok,

Finished my first couple of days in Reno, had a nice visit (only 2 days however).

Based on my working situation, it will certainly be Reno. I had some time to look around Double Diamond, Damonte Ranch, and the areas off the Mt. Rose highway and think that would be the most logical location.

I liked the view of the area off Mt. Rose the best and was advised that the schools up there are the best in the area.

Double Diamond also seemed nice, well planned communities and nice common areas.

Anyway, just a quick update. I thought Reno was nice and really enjoyed a trip to Truckee, Incline, and back along the Mt. Rose highway (hang on!)

Old 10-03-2008, 09:48 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,220 times
SW Reno is great, it is beautiful old homes with a lot of character. There are also great schools nearby.

I also think that Minden would be a very nice place to live, although pricey. If you are into the more generic suburban w/ good schools go with NW or South Reno.

I think you will really like Reno, since you stated you are into the outdoors. There are a ton of great things to do in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada