Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 AM

50 posts, read 150,272 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm very interested in getting information on several places as I'm trying to make a decison on where to move. Thanks to this site I've narrowed down some places. Mind you I have never been to anyone of them, I've narrowed them down from the information I've recieved from this forum. Let me tell you about me before I present my places to you. I'm a single older woman I don't look or act old and many people are surprised to find out my age.Tell you this is because I don't want an "older retired place". Next I'm an artist presently (for yrs. now) working in clay. I've also just graduated from and Esthetician school and I'm licensed. I know I can get a license almost anywhere in the US. I've already researched this. I don't want to live in a BIG city yet I want to be where I can shop (not only in Wal-Mart) and not take more than 2hrs. to get to an airport. I'm an urban sort of person. I hate!!!!!!! humidity and need some green around me, ie. grass,trees,flowers. I like 4 seasons but I don't want extremes. So from reading some things from this WONDERFUL group I've come to thinking that Silver CIty NM, ABQ. NM, or Carson City NV, seem like good choices. Very important to know I need to make money to live I'm one of the old hippies that didn't perpare for retirement and I can't afford and expensive place to live. SO with this information, Good People, I'd like to hear from you. I thank you in advance for your imput. I'm opened to hear all suggestions!!!! Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 07:02 PM

66 posts, read 110,976 times
Clay? Tuscarora. Pottery Workshops - Ceramic Workshops of Tuscarora Pottery School

Carson City is not very Hippie Dippie, infact Hippie Dippie is hard to find in Nevada. Silver Silver City NM would be more so. Albaquerque is just a big city., Taos would be wonderful. Pioche Nevada needs waking up!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 PM

203 posts, read 750,570 times
You might like Sedona, AZ - though it's probably not cheap to live there.

Lots of "New Age" types there though.

Not sure how you can make a living with pottery.

But maybe you could make little clay diety's of Algore (for worship purposes) - as they ought to sell well in Sedona.

Your criteria make it tough to suggest something for you, but you might also consider the White Mountains of AZ (Show Low/Lakeside/Pinetop.)

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:41 AM

160 posts, read 164,715 times
No new age types in Carson City, NV thats for sure...lol Good luck

Old 02-23-2008, 06:30 PM

790 posts, read 4,020,901 times
Goodness ... i know i'm on the Nevada forum but have you been to New Mexico?
There are alot of hip "older" women there (i used to live in Santa Fe) and as an artist and single woman and old hippie you might really feel at home there and find support from other "like-minded" men and women. I know that Santa Fe is expensive but you may get lucky. Taos is wonderful. I don't love Albuquerque 'cause i like clean air but when i'd go to Albuquerque it was after being up at 7500 feet where the air was super clean and clear. New Mexico is an incredibly beautiful and magical place.
i'm only familiar with the areas i mentioned. I'm still temped to move back there.
As an artist you might wanna check out the movie "Off The Map" for inspiration.
Happy Trails!

Old 02-23-2008, 07:05 PM

790 posts, read 4,020,901 times
I was just out walking my dog, thinking about your post and a couple of other places came to my mind. I know the difficulty of relocating as a single woman.
Anyway, someone mentioned Sedona, AZ and it is stunningly beautiful there but I imagine the cost of living there is high. It's also very built up. Hilton, Hyatt, businesses everywhere (which i suppose could be an advantage if you need work). Oh, and i just re-read your post and saw that you want urban-ness.
Prescott, AZ and Flagstaff AZ are two other Arizona communities that you might consider. I know a woman in her 60's that just moved to Prescott from CA.
And I know another woman, also in her 60's and an "old hippie" that loves, loves, loves Crestone, CO. The cost of living in Crestone is very low and there are many single women there and many alternative folks, hippies, etc. She gave me stacks of Crestone newspapers that she saves and i was looking through them with interest.
I remember a particular regular column specifically for the single women in Crestone.
Although it may be too isolated for you there since i did just read that you want some urban-ness.
Hmmmmm, but the west is very often extreme.
I'm from Santa Cruz which would welcome you with open arms and there are still alot of old hippies around but you probably wouldn't like the fog in the summer and the rain in the winter. But it is lush and green and beautiful (i was walking on the beach in my t-shirt last week .... today it's raining and very cool) and the Pacific ocean is .... well .... the Pacific and it's big and beautiful and most revitalizing.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,243,820 times
Default Fairfield IA

Check this out:
Maharishi Vedic City
Fairfield

You can't sell non-organic food! Sign me up!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:21 PM

117 posts, read 410,468 times
But only Nevada has legal brothels and that is DEFINATELY a new age concept. NO ZONING!!

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-10-2008 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada