Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,250 times

Advertisements

Hows the drive to Las Vegas? Is there a daily shuttle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 AM

207 posts, read 734,574 times
No shuttle to las vegas, but once you drive it often, its not all that bad. Now it seems like before I know it, I can see the Vegas skyline.

Takes about an hour to get into Vegas from pahrump

Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCOM View Post
Hows the drive to Las Vegas? Is there a daily shuttle?

Not yet. And I don't think it's bad at all. Actually, from one edge of town to the other (well, actually that would be enterprise) is around 35 min (I've timed it several times). Now, to get from central to central, you may be looking more at an hour. To get from a little south of the center of town in pahrump to where I live in Henderson (way out in 89012, so out in the far southeast is 1 hour 10 mins).

From my most recent trip, the breakdown of the drive from pahrump to las vegas is this:

About 10 minutes from the center of town until you get out onto the "highway" (70 mph limit. It's actually all one highway, thus the need for the quotations).

About 20 minutes (after that--so 30 minutes in) until you can see the Las Vegas skyline (it's actually a real scenic view through the mountains, and you can see the stratosphere quite predominantly).

The next part of the trip that lasts about 10-15 minutes is along a curving road (speed limit at one point is 50, after that it is 65). It is pretty much down-hill at this point, so it could actually be rather quick as long as you don't get behind someone who can't drive. (70 mph portion is two-lane; 65 mph portion heading into las vegas is one-way. unfortunately. Luckily the road going to pahrump on the 65 mph has a passing lane once you get about half-way in. That part is up a rather steep incline, so it can really be quite frustrating if you get behind someone whose car can't handle the incline).

After the road stops curving I'd say it's no more than 5-10 minutes until you actually hit enterprise streets (which I consider to be the edge of las vegas; if you want to specifiy to the edge of las vegas proper, you'll probably want to tag on another 10 minutes perhaps).

(For caveat purposes, the only part of the breakdown I timed well is the dull-stretch 70 mph segment from edge of town to the curvy part of the road. The other segments I estimated based on how it is around 35 min from one edge of town to the other).

Old 06-27-2010, 09:33 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,053,646 times
Nice description, Basiliximab.

One thing to point out too is that if you're in the north part of Pahrump and you're going to some of the northern destinations in Las Vegas, especially the area around the Northwest, it is usually faster to use 160 northbound to 95. Even going to places such as Nellis or other points in North Las Vegas, even though it might be longer, it will be faster than fighting traffic through I-15 going through the center of town.

It's also a no brainer to use that route in the winter when snow may be expected at Mountain Springs summit. I've seen commuters in the morning head LV bound only to get turned back because of spin-outs, etc. due to snow on the road and have to high-tail it back through Pahrump and use 95.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,642 times
Default Dont do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlee View Post
Hi There
Can anybody help? We are thinking of moving to Pahrump from Las Vegas.
We have vacationed in Vegas for 9 years & moved here 1.5 years ago. Its totally different living here! We would like somewhere safe where you can walk about freely & enjoy the outdoors without being hassled and be able to go to the store on your own without been frightened for your safety! Is Pahrump safe? We are mother & daughter and need to feel safe.
We are also looking for a sense of community.
Also does anybody know of any furnished rentals in Pahrump?
Thank you in advance
Charlee
Dont do it. I lived in Pahrump for over 25 years and that place per capita has more crime and drugs than Las Vegas. I moved away almost 8 years ago and I have heard from people that are still there that its only got worse. I moved my kids out of there and I am so glad that I did. My kids are happy and drug free thanks to moving the hell away from there. Trust me the school are horrid. When my kids were in the schools they mostly had subs teaching the classes and not very educated themselves. There are much safer places out there than Pahrump. It might as well be called the meth capital of Nevada. And meth makes for more crime. Hope you make the right decision. If you move to Pahrump you will regret it later. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Nice description, Basiliximab.

One thing to point out too is that if you're in the north part of Pahrump and you're going to some of the northern destinations in Las Vegas, especially the area around the Northwest, it is usually faster to use 160 northbound to 95. Even going to places such as Nellis or other points in North Las Vegas, even though it might be longer, it will be faster than fighting traffic through I-15 going through the center of town.
I live in Centennial Hills, and this is the way I go when I go to Pahrump, up 95 north of Indian Springs and then in on 160. Much easier than trying to fight my way down I-15 to Blue Diamond.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 AM

519 posts, read 604,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerpville View Post
Dont do it. I lived in Pahrump for over 25 years and that place per capita has more crime and drugs than Las Vegas. I moved away almost 8 years ago and I have heard from people that are still there that its only got worse. I moved my kids out of there and I am so glad that I did. My kids are happy and drug free thanks to moving the hell away from there. Trust me the school are horrid. When my kids were in the schools they mostly had subs teaching the classes and not very educated themselves. There are much safer places out there than Pahrump. It might as well be called the meth capital of Nevada. And meth makes for more crime. Hope you make the right decision. If you move to Pahrump you will regret it later. Good luck.
Considering that the post that you responded to is almost five years old, I'd wager that Charlee has made her decision one way or the other by now...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerpville View Post
Dont do it. I lived in Pahrump for over 25 years and that place per capita has more crime and drugs than Las Vegas.
But, on the other hand, Pahrump apparently has low crime compared to NV & US averages.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving To Pahrump-pahrump-crime-rate-stats.png  

Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 112233xyz View Post
But, on the other hand, Pahrump apparently has low crime compared to NV & US averages.
They just have more places to bury the , as yet, undiscovered bodies

Old 03-23-2014, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
If you think Pahrump is a good option, please proceed to the nut house. All kidding aside run, run far run fast. Three years almost killed my family. Mean, unhappy, racist people are the norm. The others are crack heads. Do not attempt to raise kids in Pahrump. Find a happy, caring and educated environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada