Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,202,536 times

Advertisements

I can respect that zerlina, it's rather ironic that when I lived in that area of the country, I couldn't stand the weather out there as it was too bland and too much of the same thing everyday..

Also, my experience with the cost of living versus your experience here is kinda surprising, but you probably were not from the big cities of california, because there is no doubt that their cost of living is much higher in many categories..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 04:50 PM

212 posts, read 902,124 times
Enhennigsen is right. Nebraska would be nothing without Lincoln and Omaha.
I would like it if Lincoln and Omaha were part of another state, but I would prefer Kansas to Iowa. Nebraska would only have a population of about 60,000 without Lincoln and Omaha, it wouldn't even be funny. Los Angeles has almost four times the population of the whole state of Nebraska.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,551,943 times
I'll second Gibbon. There's something bad in the water and you hear of a kid getting leukemia almost every year. This in a town of about 1,300...

Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM

370 posts, read 1,359,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorboy View Post
Enhennigsen is right. Nebraska would be nothing without Lincoln and Omaha.
I would like it if Lincoln and Omaha were part of another state, but I would prefer Kansas to Iowa. Nebraska would only have a population of about 60,000 without Lincoln and Omaha, it wouldn't even be funny. Los Angeles has almost four times the population of the whole state of Nebraska.
Many people in Lincoln and Omaha don't even acknowledge the rest of Nebraska. And that's OK with most of us outside of Lincoln and Omaha.

Your math is a little off, there would be about 630,000 without the Lincoln and Omaha metro areas (State: 1.7 M, Omaha metro: 829K, Lincoln 241K, 2006 estimates, rounded for simplicity).

Again, where is the problem? That's why I choose to live here!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM

370 posts, read 1,359,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerlina59 View Post
I recently relocated to Nebraska and I must admit that I am already saving my money to move back to California. The people of Nebraska are without a doubt the friendliest,most welcoming people I have ever met, and I do enjoy the slower pace of life. What has made me most unhappy is the weather. It is just too humid for this desert rat. Everything is just as expensive(with the exception of housing)or more than it was in California, but the jobs pay considerably less. And I have been disappointed by the lack of fresh produce available in the grocery store. I hope to be back in sunny California before the first Nebraska snowfall.
Move to western Nebraska. Get west of the 100th Meridian, west of the proliferation of center-pivot irrigation and in the higher elevation (2,500-4,000) and the humidty drops considerably.

I was just in California, and the fresh produce was nice. The other high cost you were missing was gas. It was 40 cents a gallon higher in Sacramento than here!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 AM

5 posts, read 24,810 times
Smile SoCalif Native

To the woman that hates Scribner and the other woman (zerlina) that is from SoCalif. Yes! Nebraska is different. I've been here since 1999! I lived in SoCalif (high desert) for my first 40 years. California has been through major changes..... not necessarily good ones. I'm in Nebraska because I choose to be. I lived in Bellevue (just South of Omaha) from 1999 to now. I bought a house in Scribner about 1 1/2 years ago, and have just recently moved in full time. I LOVE THIS TOWN..... Are they Clicky? yes! These people are like a family and take care of each other. They were raised together, know each others families, know each others good and bad traits, etc. When someone from out of town or out of state moves in, they are VERY cautious. I have gotten the cold shoulder many times, not everyone is going to be positive about my being here. It's a "small town" get use to it. When I encounter negativeness, I ignore it and pretend that it didn't happen. I treat everyone with respect and hope that with time, they will get to know and accept me. I never expected anything more from a small (cautious) town. They want to keep their little town safe and I understand that, so if it takes more effort from me, so be it. I love this town, and hopefully, some day, they'll love me! I have also had many positive experiences. If you walk in to a town thinking you are better than everyone, you will definately be unhappy. I've lived in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Tahoe, Denver and a few other places. I prefer this small town...... I paid $20,000 for my 4 bedroom house. What can you get for that in other towns? I'm a Realtor now in NE. I can't believe the low prices in these smaller towns. My sister is a Realtor in SoCalif. She thinks I'm kidding when I tell her how cheap we can buy property. Every town has the good, bad & the ugly, in people, in homes, in gas prices, attitudes, etc..... You have to choose whether you want to accept it or not. If not, you have the choice to leave..... For now? I'm staying...... And next time the neighbor gives me a funny look? I'll wave and say "HI! How are you doing today"? And it's his decision how he would like to respond to that.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,700,039 times
Very true.
The folks who lived in our house before the couple who sold it to us grew pot in the basement under gro-lites, threw parties, etc. This is a nice quiet little town with people who go to church and bake pies, etc for their neighbors. They have been very nice toward us but cautious and I am glad of it, and expect it. You never know what kind of whackos will move in next door; religious cultists, druggies, fanatics of any stripe, wife, child, or dog abusers. I plan on getting involved in the community - hubby and I have a lot of abilities and fun things to share! - and we made sure that the seller of our home knew exactly who we were, what we had done, and what we planned and told the people before we ever moved here. We are making friends and contacts and waving and smiling at anyone. As Heinlein said, when they rub blue mud in their belly buttons, you do the same... We won't compromise our core principles for anyone, but we do understand that 'new people' can be a little intimidating in any community, especially a small one. We chose ours with that full knowledge and understanding. We did not come here to teach people a better way, but to learn from them and to share with them. It's all about the attitude.

Well, except for the weather - but the weather here is dry and windy and powerful and wonderful. We saw it in March when it was blowing snow, and now we see it in rowdy and unsettled spring, soon we wil see it in summer... but we like it. Fewer bugs, less humidity, lots more open space, Fewer streetlights, dead-quiet nights, and real winters may not please everyone, but we were looking for just such a place. Weather you can't change - most people's attitudes you can. Eventually!!! Grin

Old 06-14-2008, 01:47 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,202,536 times
Default ..

Wow, SCGranny and alshakat has it right!

They have what it takes to live in a small town and thrive..

And being raised in a small town (I know Scribner very well, btw and is a great little town 50 miles nw of Omaha), I know exactly why they are cautious..

When you live in a community like Scribner and you know everybody and everybody knows you, you have a tendency to watch everybody's back. And that tendency is what forms the very special bonds rarely seen in very large cities, it is the very essence of human communication and community participation.

In a large city, you are used to thousands of new people a year and it is impossible to know anyone as who they truly are. But in a small town, the community is a network, a big family, and the more I talk about that the more I miss it..

With that said, if you are up to no good, then a community has a tendency to be a bit harsh on you, but they have very good reason to, and it is not only for their own good but for yours too.

When people do things that are destructive, they don't know exactly how badly they are treating others and needlessly destroying their own life, and the community tends to get involved into your better wellfare than a big city. You may get punished a bit more for being an offensive person, but at the same time, there is NO PLACE IN THE WORLD that will reward your good sides and who you actually are, like in a smaller community like Scribner.

Really makes me miss home

Old 06-16-2008, 06:11 PM

24 posts, read 47,718 times
Enhennigsen,
I say you are right in your assessment of that community relationship you just described. I think you might be forgetting that you don't have to be "up to no good" in a community like that for it to be harsh. You just have to be perceived that way. Sometimes it can come at you because you are different. There is a incestuousness level of that provides balance to the good parts of that kind of living. I still agree with you about the realness of the people. You are very perceptive.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,700,039 times
True, Ahhnrey, but...
Some folks are obnoxiously different; they have the attitude of "I'm different from you and you HAVE to accept me, so THERE!" that puts folks off. I am very different - I am an artist and have a very skewed way of looking at the world. For a show, while everyone else did their fiberglas mermaids in soft colors and in standard seashell/underwater motifs, I did mine as a masked and bejeweled Mardi Gras mermaid! (It was voted the best.) I put on karaoke parties but can't sing, I do impromptu standup comedy. But the key is that people laugh and are accepting - my nickname has been "Crazy___" for over 30 years, but it is usually said with affection. I draw people in, not push them away, with my attitude.

The point is that you can be "different" without making people defensive or judgemental. A positive outlook, a joy in one's life, and a secure sense of self go a long way. (Then, even if some people don't like you, they don't matter either in the long scheme of things or in your own life.) You can't take people too personally; they have their own angers and hurts and angst that may have nothing to do with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska