Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 AM

5 posts, read 15,250 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am relocating from NY to Hendersonville and will be working in the Nashville area. Can anyone tell me what commuiting is like there and any tips as well? Would driving be the best bet? Or is there public transportation?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 11:56 AM

334 posts, read 1,282,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwilma View Post
Hi all,
I am relocating from NY to Hendersonville and will be working in the Nashville area. Can anyone tell me what commuiting is like there and any tips as well? Would driving be the best bet? Or is there public transportation?
Thanks!
I think commuting is what probably 98% of the Hendersonville people have done in the past, but due to gas prices (right now we're hovering around the $3 mark for regular), some may be choosing MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority) which is the bus that goes into Nashville. I'm been out the the Nashville traffic scene for years (although I went to Columbia (Maury County) and back this morning, and I-65 on a Friday is NERVE-WRACKING. These summer months have all the vacationers that are going north-south traveling through (not to mention the other two interstates that pass through Nashville), and it was pure craziest out there....although I did make it from Robertson County to Maury County Hospital in ONE hour going with the flow of traffic (60-70mph).

Hendersonville has really only two ways to get into Nashville. Gallatin Road or Vietnam Vets which loads onto I-65. All I can say is pack your patience when you move here. I try to stay out of Nashville as much as possible because of traffic...this morning was a good example of why. And for those people looking at Brentwood and Franklin, the traffic IS heavy there as I saw this morning.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:36 PM

41 posts, read 134,125 times
Hello. I commute to Nashville from Hendersonville everyday. It's not bad for me. Then again, I'm not going downtown. It depends on where in Nashville you're going. I am able to get off on Briley Pkway, which exits right before the traffic starts. So my drive isn't bad at all.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:59 PM

42 posts, read 163,489 times
Default moving to hendersonville

Hello fellow New Yorker:

My family and I also moved from NY to Hendersonville. My husband commutes to Nashville everyday. 25min. coming home takes a little longer, but if you leave later you fly home.

I commute down the road at Crye-Leike Realtors. If you need any help or info about h'ville, email me @chdzine@comcast.net

Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks!
What part of town will you be working in?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks!
Driving is pretty much it here. There is public transportation (bus), but probably not like what you're used to; here it's basically a "last resort".

Old 06-17-2007, 04:47 PM

5 posts, read 15,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
What part of town will you be working in?
The place I will be working is 3322 West End Ave - I'm not sure what part of Nashville that is.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:09 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Thats the West/Southwest side, just beyond Vanderbilt. You would have about a 20 mile commute, give or take. It depends on what part of H'ville you are going to live in.

You should explore various ways to get to & from work. One accident can snarl up traffic for hours.

In a pinch, you could swing over to Briley Parkway & take that up to I-65. It would be a bit out of your way, but would eliminate a trip thru the downtown mess. Last Thursday there were wrecks all over the place, so I got off the Interstate and made my way home thru various neighborhoods.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
The place I will be working is 3322 West End Ave - I'm not sure what part of Nashville that is.
I believe that's the pie-shaped building at Murphy Road. It's right near a ramp.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
3322 West End has the best facade of any building in Nashville.

The commute from Hendersonville to downtown smokes pole, but it's no worse than commuting in from Franklin or Mt. Juliet. And it's much better than the mess coming up I-24 from LaVergne/Smyrna and Antioch.

During the morning rush hour, traffic will crawl from just beyond Briley/Dickerson until Trinity Lane. On the ride home, the snag will be around Metro Center Blvd.

Your best bet would be to take I-65 South to I-40 West to I-440 East and get off at West End Ave. right next to your building. I'm estimating about 35 minutes or so each way.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville