Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM

14 posts, read 51,079 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am looking at moving to the Nashville area from England next year, I have recently travelled through the mid west and south east and loved Nashville for a whole host of reasons.

I am planning to spend a couple of months before Christmas in Hendersonville, which from all the research I have done, looks good. It's not too far from downtown (in American terms), has some good parks for sports and seems like a nice area.

The problem i may have is finding short term apartments for rent. I have looked and looked and have found a few that have minimum 6 months, which is too long. If anyone has any information or experience renting in Hendersonville it would be great to hear from you.

I have been to Nashville three times now (all in one trip), mainly to get to other places via greyhound : ( so i know downtown very well but not the east side and Hendersonville. I wont want to live too near/far from Nashville and something the size of Hendersonville is about right as I come from a town in the UK with population around 30,000.

When I go for a couple of months I will like to do some voluntary work, something outdoor, maybe with the National Park Service and youth/sports, again if anyone has any info it would be welcome.

Hendersonville, for me, doesn't need a vibrant nightlife or big shopping areas, because Nashville has all that for me, but is it suitable for a male in early 20's who likes sport, mainly tennis, a not too busy/crowded area, safe and with adeqoute public transport?

Thanks, I am sure i will have more questions soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 20,366 times
Indian Lake Village is currently being built and is a short walk from Drakes Creek Park. There are going to be plenty of townhomes and possibly appartments. You might want to check the website. I'm not sure about public transportation but if you did move into the Indian Lake area a bike would work for most of your needs. Plenty of things to do though.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 PM

52 posts, read 204,038 times
1. Welcome to the USA and Tennessee!!

2. Please be aware, in the US, outside of the bigger cities, there is no such thing as "adequate public transport". It will be very difficult to live outside of Nashville in Hendersonville and commute to Nashville. Here is the Nashville's bus system web site: Welcome to the Nashville MTA! .

3. Here are some tennis links: A) the city of Hendersonville's Parks Department : Hendersonville Parks and Recreation Department (http://eteamz.active.com/hendparks/ - broken link) .
B) A tennis complex in Nashville at the (near) downtown area at the Sportsplex run the city of Nashville: Sportsplex Tennis Center in Nashville, TN - home page .

4. With your English accent, if you like football (we call it soccer here of course), and would be willing to coach, there might be some volunteer stuff here for some youth leagues depending on their season schedules. Hendersonville is a soccer hotbed (for the US, hey, it ain't Brazil) and there might be some opportunities for you. FYI, many a Brit has made money off upper-middle class American parents coaching soccer in the states (as soccer in the US is mainly played by upper-middle to middle class suburban kids). Here's a hint: just tell everyone your last name is Beckham.
When you open you mouth, Americans will think you know as much soccer as Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger ....wait ....they aren't English. Well, you get the picture.

5. Hendersonville is a very nice city. It is safe and not crowded in the British sense. Hendersonville is probably more family-oriented and for singles' things, you probably would do more in Nashville.

6. I am not sure there are any Federal parks around Hendersonville which might limit the ability to do anything with the National Park Service,but I could be wrong.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks guys for the info, you have helped already : )

After spending 6 weeks of Greyhound buses and Amtrak trains it made me wish I had hired a car!!! I did use the Nashville bus service, which is ok but limited.

I took a look at the bus routes, the nearest stop to Hendersonville from Nashville is the Rivergate Mall, which is a few miles from Drakes Creek Park so its a possibilty.

Concerning apartments I will check out Indian Lake Village, so thanks for that Colton.

I had been thinking about voluntary work with youth soccer and in fact emailed the Nashville Youth Soccer Association about my interest but have not had a reply, they are not in Hendersonville so I will have a look at more local leagues etc. I have followed 'soccer' since I was very young and used to play it quite a bit before I concentrated on playing tennis but since I have been in full time employment I have down little of both so would love to start again. I did voluntary work with kids at a Tennis club a few years ago and really enjoyed it but would happily do the same with soccer.

U.S Football in the UK is gaining more interest and there is even a regular season game between the Dolphins and Giants to be played in London this year but on a whole U.S Football to the UK is what Soocer is to the States, a very select following.

I love Football, Tennis, Soccer and have recently picked up Baseball after watching the Cardinals in St Louis defeat the Reds.

After six weeks in the States going through places like Nebraska, Alabama and Iowa it was quite a shock coming home to realise how small the country is. Imagine 60 million people in a state the size of Indiana and you can get a picture of the traffic and tiny living space we have not too mention weak immigration with people from eastern Europe flooding in.

Anyway, Hendersonville does seem like the place for me, Nashville has the music and entertainment which i really like but i wouldn't want that 24/7, every now and then would be fine.

I did also email the NPS Stones River Battlefield in Murfreesboro to see if they would like help but have yet to recieve a reply so may try again, however its 30 miles from Nashville so 48 miles in all from Hendersonville, double that and it's a long journey several days a week.

The soccer thing is interesting, maybe i could set up a soccer school : )

Thanks again

Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,445 times
I am a Brit, who actually live in Hendersonville. I have been here since 1996 and love it. In England I lived in Melton Mowbray, which is in the country but close enough to big cities like Nottingham and Leicester. Hendersonville, is pretty much the same just a short distance to Nashville.
As, you lived in a small town in England i think you would like H'ville. You really don't need to rely on Nashville for things to do or shop. The only reason I go to Nashville, is usually to party.
One thing you won't miss is the football as about all of the Prem games are shown on the telly, half of them are on Fox Soccer Channel and the other half are on Setanta Sports.

On thing also to note is H'ville does not have much crime.

Good luck on your decision and go Man U.

Cheers,

Bob

Old 07-10-2007, 10:34 AM

Man U I support Everton FC, despite being from the south.

Everything seems to fit but still having trouble finding short term apartment rentals or even vacation rentals. Most places i have found only have a phone number and are minimum 6 month lease!

Mruk69, isn't Melton Mowbray famous for pies? May be wrong, usually am!

Thanks for your help, im gonna keep looking around for places and continue the research.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Nice Guy scores!

I think you will find more Everton fans in the states due to Tim Howard being in goal for the Toffees. Good look in the UEFA Cup ....better than your last endeavor there.

Now, that other little team that Howard used to play for before he was unceremoniusly dumped (I mean is a Champions League game versus Porto that important? ) has some fans here too. I just cannot remember who that team was. Maybe Bob can help me.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:17 PM

I am sure there are also plenty of Man Utd followers in the States what with that nice Mr Glazer owning the 'franchise'.

Brian McBride was another former American Everton player but only at the club for a few months.

Is Hendersonville really that soccer friendly? Is it a new thing in the city?

I am very much decided on giving H'Ville a go, that's the easy bit done, all i need to work out now is the dates, the flights, a place to stay, what voluntary work, maybe a work visa not to mention i need to put in a career break request and a possible interview at the U.S Embassy in London!

Last edited by Nice Guy : ); 07-10-2007 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-10-2007, 03:19 PM

Default An answer or two.

"Is Hendersonville really that soccer friendly? "

In relation to American culture, the answer is "yes".

Hendersonville Soccer Club

Tennessee United Soccer Club

Home Page-Hendersonville High School Soccer

Beech Soccer

Hendersonville loses shot at finals - Nashville, Tennessee - Thursday, 05/24/07 - Tennessean.com

Is it a new thing in the city?

I think there has been a youth league there since the late 70s or 1980.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 7,445 times
Yes Melton Mowbray is famous for "Pork Pies", Pedigree Chum and Whiskas.

I own a hotel in Sumner County and there are a lot of soccer tournaments in Hendersonville/Gallatin.

I believe Man. Utd is the most supported English footy team in the US.
Notice I said English, unlike that one North London team that smells like a "frog". If you have ever watched Fox Football Fone-in, most of the callers seem to be the mighty Red Devil fans.

Seriously, England and the US have a great relationship, there are plenty of sites that will give you a wealth of info on obtaining Visa's and so on.

Make sure you do get visa's. If you come on a Visa waiver you must return back to the UK in 3 months, you cannot extend it. If you apply for multiple visa's via the US Embassy in London, you can stay up to 1 year, however you can not work in the US. So, make sure find out all of the details and do your homework. I believe there are special programs for religious and charity work in place.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville