Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:54 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times

Advertisements

Centex Homes. Seem decent well known builder. Anyone know much about the development or the general area? Currently I live in NJ and plan on moving somewhere in the Southeast. I have been looking into NC but TN would be another choice. Adult children going their own ways work availability not really important I would just be looking for minor part time work in semi retirement. Tired of the rat race up this way. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 06:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Centex Homes. Seem decent well known builder. Anyone know much about the development or the general area? Currently I live in NJ and plan on moving somewhere in the Southeast. I have been looking into NC but TN would be another choice. Adult children going their own ways work availability not really important I would just be looking for minor part time work in semi retirement. Tired of the rat race up this way. Thoughts?
I live in the general area of Blackman Farms and while the area itself is extremely nice and highly convenient, Blackman Farm is a HORRIBLE subdivision!! I say this based on the fact that the homes are built almost on top of eachother. You get very little yard and it is just hideous looking. The homes themselves are nice and extremely well-priced, but the set up of the neighborhood and the overall look ruin it all. I also read in these forums, the people in that subdivision are not very friendly. Of course, I have no idea if that is actually true or not. There are far better choices in the same part of town! I moved down here from Clifton, NJ back in 94 and it is GREAT here. So, you have chosen a spectacular place to live, but just avoid Blackman Farm. You can got to www.realtracs.com and do a search for other properties. If you need a relator referral or have other questions, just let me know. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
I agree with Steve....also consider Smyrna. Lots of great older subdivions with great home prices and big lots.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,135 times
Blackman Farms is a decent neighborhood in a great location in Murfreesboro. There are better builders out there and I know a few people with Centex homes that have had an above-average number of problems with the structure and systems. Also, there are lots of young children in that development so if you're looking for a bit of peace and quiet in your semi-retirement, kid-free years you might want to check out a few other places instead.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,037 times
I have to agree with Mary and Steve. While I don't think it is a horrible subdidvision, it is "zero lot line", which gives it a very crowded feel. If you don't mind that, you're fine. You get alot of house for not a lot of money. I can't speak to the quality of the homes. The subdiision itself, is in a great location with a very nice entrance into the community.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
I have to agree with Mary and Steve. While I don't think it is a horrible subdidvision, it is "zero lot line", which gives it a very crowded feel. If you don't mind that, you're fine. You get alot of house for not a lot of money. I can't speak to the quality of the homes. The subdiision itself, is in a great location with a very nice entrance into the community.
It's a "divided zero lot line" that would actually look much better if "non-divided" as attached townhomes. I have to disagree with my friends though, since I think it is absolutely horrible and hideous. I remember when we were moving and I got all excited when I saw the floorplans online and the nausea and disappointment that set in when I went to look at the actual subdivision.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I live in another Centex community and haven't had any issues to speak of. When I purchased mine, there was a 2 year warrenty on the home. Now, they've changed it to a 1 year warrenty. We've had a few minor things...nail pops, cracked drywall, minor settling issues mostly. It is a great value for the money, but do be prepared to lose a little individuality. Sometimes the homes look cookie cutter.

At least in my neighborhood, there are a LOT of kids. I'm sure that's the same for Blackman too.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I live in another Centex community and haven't had any issues to speak of. When I purchased mine, there was a 2 year warrenty on the home. Now, they've changed it to a 1 year warrenty. We've had a few minor things...nail pops, cracked drywall, minor settling issues mostly. It is a great value for the money, but do be prepared to lose a little individuality. Sometimes the homes look cookie cutter.

At least in my neighborhood, there are a LOT of kids. I'm sure that's the same for Blackman too.

Wow! I wasn't aware they have changed their warranty period! They greatly advertised their 2 year warranty. Oh well....

Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Wow! I wasn't aware they have changed their warranty period! They greatly advertised their 2 year warranty. Oh well....
I noticed it in the sign at the front of our subdivision. They'd painted over the 2 in "2 Year Fit and Finish Warranty" and put a "1" there. It looks kinda bad.

Pulte now owns Centex, so I guess that's the reason for the change.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 PM

5,134 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
It's a "divided zero lot line" that would actually look much better if "non-divided" as attached townhomes. I have to disagree with my friends though, since I think it is absolutely horrible and hideous. I remember when we were moving and I got all excited when I saw the floorplans online and the nausea and disappointment that set in when I went to look at the actual subdivision.
Thanks for the heads up. I only saw the floor plans online and thought it was a great deal of house for the money. Actually I am looking to spend around $175-200K tops with all the options. Not going crazy on the options. Middle of the road ceramic in all the bathrooms and the laundry rooms. No linoleum. No tub surrounds wall tile only. No fireplace. Maybe 15K in options all together. 1/3 to 1/2 acre. 4 BR 2 1/2 bath. Large master. Other BR 11x13 minumum. New home only. Does this animal exist in a decent neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville