Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:30 PM

54 posts, read 120,910 times

Advertisements

Yes, thank you for shedding some light on that for me and putting my mind at ease a little bit, it's such a huge move for us and I'm a bit overwhelmed by everything right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,228,348 times
I live in LA and have been researching moving to Nashville for years. FINALLY moving in January!! I've never heard it was a city with crime. Everyone always says it's a safe place to raise your family. I really am not worried at all especially considering where I live now.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:32 PM

815 posts, read 2,021,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
There's been a lot of discussion about an area of Nashville called Antioch.

Based on news reports there seems to be a lot of crime in Antioch.

Over the past few years Antioch has gained a bad reputation in the Nashville area. Whether this is deserved or not is questionable.

Personally, I would never recommend for someone on this forum to move to Antioch based on what I've heard about it. However, I personally won't say anything bad about it becuase I have no personal experience.

But there are people on this forum who live in or know Antioch and are offended when people say bad things about it so they post about crime in other parts of the metro to try and make a point.

Does this make sense and explain why there have been so many crime posts over the past few days? If you look at that one thread about teenager in Murfreesboro or whatever you will notice some of those crimes happened several years ago.
If you have never been to Antioch and or had any personal experiences in Antioch how can you have an opionion about the area? Why would you advice someone not to move to the area if you have no personal experience of the area, just going on hear say. Is that fair? As far as the post with the articles about crime in other areas, the majority of them are recent, with in the past few weeks, please follow the links and look at the dates, they are not hear say, it actually happened, FACTS. No one has ever said Antioch was the perfect little place to live, but please search the local news channels and provide at least 10 crimes that have happen in Antioch with in the past 6 months since you say that lots of crime has been reported in Antioch, and I don't mean petty crime. I gaurentee you that you will not be able to find it. And as you mentioned some of the crimes that were reported on the previous post were from several years ago, well a lot of the hear say you hear about the exagerated crimes in Antioch occured several years ago also, but some on here never let it rest... and to set the record straight there were others on here not living in Antioch that felt the need to post crime in Antioch 1st, so therefore I felt it was only fair to post crimes in other areas as well, just to show that every other area outside Antioch are not Mayberry...There is no more crime going on in Antioch vs. any other part of the Metropolitan Nashville area, especially considering the much larger population and land area than others.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 PM

7,543 posts, read 17,264,792 times
Your paragraphs are too big. Most people won't read anything of that size on a message board. I know I didn't.

I've never been to Antioch, but it's kind of like Newport here in east Tennessee. When newcomers ask, you just steer them away. Why? Because there are TONS of better places to live.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM

124 posts, read 286,431 times
I lived in Antioch when I first moved to town 10 years ago. I never really felt unsafe there, but that was quite some time ago.

That said... I do remember inviting some friends down to stay with me several months after landing here, after talking up Nashville as the "small town big city", "overgrown mayberry" etc... Well, wouldn't you know it, they had their car stereo system stolen out of my apartment complex parking lot

But really, that could happen anywhere I suppose...

Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 26,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolagoo View Post
I'm looking to move to either Hendersonville or Spring Hill this July as my wife has accepted a position at Vanderbilt and all I've been reading about are gangs and violence in the Nashville area. We live about 10 minutes outside of Detroit as it is now and I can tell you I feel completely safe up here. Most of the crime here is in little pockets and it's pretty easy to avoid, I can walk the streets of Detroit at any hour and not feel threatened.
I have never heard anybody I've ever met from the Nashville area say anything bad about it or say that they feel unsafe in any way except when I come to this forum.
Whats the real deal here? is it a safe place to raise a family? Do I really need to be overly concerned about where I drive in TN? Do I really need to avoid malls for fear of a stray bullet taking one of us out? I was down there last week and felt pretty safe outside of most people driving as if they were in a Nascar event.
I worked in Columbia about 13 years ago , in what is said to be the bad part of Columbia and never felt threatened there either, guess I'm hoping somebody can come on here and say how I shouldn't believe everything I read and that Nashville burbs are a fine place to raise a family with friendly people and a naturally beautiful environment to enjoy.
Anybody have anything positive to say on the matter?
Well, I for one cannot imagine why there are people who post on this forum who have such bad things to say about Nashville, as I have lived here for 27 years and even though we have crime like any other big city, I don't feel unsafe here. In fact, I live in Hendersonville and have lived in Hendersonville for the entire 27 years since I moved to the Nashville area and we love it here and do not feel threatened at all. Of course, I don't go to downtown Nashville at nighttime by myself (I am female) but I don't know of any big city where I would do that.
That said, there is going to be crime everywhere you go to an extent and for some reason, I suppose it's just human nature, you hear more bad than you do good. People are always quick to complain but not as quick to compliment, unfortunately. People who are unhappy are more quick to comment, typically, than those who are not unhappy. Again, human nature for most of us.
I will tell you that Nashville is a great place to raise a family and I know of so many corporate transferees who have lived ALL OVER the country, who after moving to Nashville, decide to make it their home. These people have experienced lots of different cities, locales, yet they (not all, but most) love it here and some even quit their jobs that transferred them here to find another job that will allow them to stay here). That says a lot, in my opinion.
The traffic is bad, I have to agree but there again, you're looking at a city that has grown faster than the road systems were built to handle. Hendersonville is no exception in this regard. We do have traffic woes here however, the quality of life far surpasses the negativity of the traffic situation. (You might want to try moving a little farther out, maybe towards Gallatin. Less congestion and easier bypass access.)
Good luck to you and I hope you do get to come down here to live. I can just about guarantee you will be glad you did!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,637,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
there is not a lot of crime, considering this is a fairly large metro area, although if you came here expecting mayberry, you might be a bit shocked.

exactly!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville