Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 PM

14 posts, read 269,291 times

Advertisements

I've been reading great things about Nashville and its surrounding areas, but with the possibility of moving to TN from NYC, I'd like to get a sense of the bad areas. From what I've read, it appears that Antioch isn't that hot. Any others areas to avoid?

To give some background... With the RE market in NYC gone through the roof, my wife and I are looking to packup with our 1 year-old daughter and head to a market where the cost of living, homes, schools, and job market are digestible. I've done research on the Murfreesboro area and like what I've read so far. I'm planning to take a trip down later this month to visit. Coming from NYC I am prepared for the "culture shock", but as long as there is "variety" we should be ok.

Any input would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,604 times
I'm going to be honest. If you and your wife are from NYC, then you should come and visit NUMEROUS times, and especially the outlying areas. Not just the city itself because of the many people I have met from where you're from, NYC seems to be like a religion versus a place. Indeed- things will be about 360 degrees different for you. So you might want to do some serious studying first before moving down just for a cheap house. Just some words of advice.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:27 PM

Excellent! I appreciate your input! I'm researching everyday and I've heard mostly wonderful things, but with the good comes the bad... and if there are areas I should not consider, then my research would be even better.

Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Here's my perspective. Most Southeastern cities function very differently from their Northeastern counterparts. For one, the city itself will for the most part shut down after 5:00 save for a few bars. By 8:00, the downtown area will be vacant. Most people who work in the city just work there but live in the burbs.Most people spend their weekends in their yards/house versus clubbin' and city exploring. The city itself is actually small, so you don't have much to explore anyway. There are a few lofts in downtown Nashville, but these are kind of pricey for what you get versus what you can also get in a close by burb'. Secondly, at least for now the density isn't as bad as say NYC or Atlanta. You can actually live somewhat far out from the city and get there pretty quick. Nashville gives way to countryside very quick. It actually isn't that big of an area.
A good part of the newer housing builds are of the tract home, vanilla siding type. But these are cheap by the dozen in most cases. We're talking in the 150-200k range. But they are kind of generic.
These Southern cities are going to have a new, somewhat unestablished feel. This is due to the fact that much of the metro South didn't start developing until the late 80's. So there will often not be the same historical feeling as you would fin in NYC.

People are generally nicer than just about anywhere. Family value, church, and so on are pretty important. you'll find that you can shop a lot faster on Sunday mornings because everyone's in church.

Most stores and eateries are of the big box, chain variety. The biggest mom-n-pop type of food is actually a big chain called Cracker Barrel, which are these old-fashioned style restaurants with rocking chairs and antiques inside. There just happens to be around 700 of them spread all over the South and parts of the midwest. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, strip-mall type joints rain king over the retail world. They also have more selections than Wal-Marts I've seen out here in CA. Like you can buy lawn mower tires in those out South versus here where I live now.

The area is changing. If you hunt around, you can find things like Japanese restaurants, decent bars with good beer, and of course- BBQ. But don't expect the kind of diversity in food choice.

People lean kind of conservative, but due to the high presence of musicians and artists, you can find a somewhat broad mixture of political opinion. You might find it refreshing. You might hate it.

Overall, Nashville to me is a pleasant, low-stress city that I love. This is after living in both the East Coast and California after having been raised in East Tennessee. I now appreciate what it has and other places don't. But if you are from NYC, or some other sexy city, you might not find it as appealing. I guess life is about taking risks. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:28 PM

Great info! I've visited the South several times over the years so I am somewhat familiar with the sunbelt deal, the early closings, and the Cracker Barrel's all over the place (loved the smother steak and fried apples!). I understand this life would be a 360 from what I'm used to, but when you feel as if your options are limited - you're forced to look elsewhere. True - there is no place like the Big Apple. There's variety, diversity, 24 hour shops, rapid transit, walking distance to everything, and total convenience. But there is also too much congestion, smog, fast-paced living, indescribable traffic, unaffordable homes, small homes, high rents, high cost of living, poor city schools, and high crime in many NYC areas.

The question is - why the Nashville suburbs?

Well... from all the good things I read - why not? I know the move will certainly be a BIG adjustment, but as a dedicated family man, I'm looking to give my family the best quality of life. I can see how someone needing the city-life would "flip-out" without access to a convenience store around the corner, but when you know you're giving your family the best - you learn to adjust. I guess one needs to be mentally prepared! But before any move, there will be tons of research and visits as you suggested.

Thanks again for your information. It is very helpful!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_New_Yorker View Post
Great info! I've visited the South several times over the years so I am somewhat familiar with the sunbelt deal, the early closings, and the Cracker Barrel's all over the place (loved the smother steak and fried apples!). I understand this life would be a 360 from what I'm used to, but when you feel as if your options are limited - you're forced to look elsewhere. True - there is no place like the Big Apple. There's variety, diversity, 24 hour shops, rapid transit, walking distance to everything, and total convenience. But there is also too much congestion, smog, fast-paced living, indescribable traffic, unaffordable homes, small homes, high rents, high cost of living, poor city schools, and high crime in many NYC areas.

The question is - why the Nashville suburbs?

Well... from all the good things I read - why not? I know the move will certainly be a BIG adjustment, but as a dedicated family man, I'm looking to give my family the best quality of life. I can see how someone needing the city-life would "flip-out" without access to a convenience store around the corner, but when you know you're giving your family the best - you learn to adjust. I guess one needs to be mentally prepared! But before any move, there will be tons of research and visits as you suggested.

Thanks again for your information. It is very helpful!!!
I can understand where you're coming from. And I think Murfreesboro is a decent enough place to raise a family. It's growing like wildfire, so I guess there's an attraction there for many people. And with a university in Murfreesboro, there are people there from all over the place.

Plus, good ol' JetBlue has some good deals on air fares between Nashville and JFK for those times when you just have to go back to the Big Apple for a visit.

Best of luck with your decision.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 PM

166 posts, read 986,326 times
I was born and raised in NYC; I found the Brentwood/Franklin area to be pretty nice. I did notice it reminded me of "Mayberry," but each area has it's own unique character and charm.

I really liked it there. I will have to come up again to make a final decision. Either way, I do think it's a great place to live, and the people seemed happy!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 AM

Thanks again for all the information! I will certainly refer to it in part of my research.
But to get back to the original topic... "Where are the BAD areas in surrounding Nashville?"

Old 04-04-2007, 10:56 AM

But there is also too much congestion, smog, fast-paced living, indescribable traffic, unaffordable homes, small homes, high rents, high cost of living, poor city schools, and high crime in many NYC areas.

Trust me. You're sounding almost exactly the same way as I feel here in the Bay Area, California. I can see the reason people like it here: nice weather, all kinds of food, beautiful scenery, and lots of new ideas and things that seem to percolate out of the soil. But just like NYC, things have gotten out of hand here too. Simply replace the name NYC with SF and everything you mentioned above as your negatives will easily fill in the blanks here as well. It makes it worse when there are still people in droves who think CA is the most wonderful place on earth and think where I'm from is full of hicks. Sometimes I feel like the only person who thinks that the area actually kind of sucks now. It makes where I grew up seem like heaven in comparison even though there are TONS of people now moving there.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_New_Yorker View Post
Thanks again for all the information! I will certainly refer to it in part of my research.
But to get back to the original topic... "Where are the BAD areas in surrounding Nashville?"
I'd like to know as well...
Areas around Nasville TO AVOID>>>
Please IM me if you know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville