Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 04:08 PM

215 posts, read 713,528 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about mass transit that is. I've lived in South Nashville (currently Lenox Village) for about three years now and I tell you something needs to be done. I know that we have a train that goes east to Mt. Juliet now, and I recently read in the City Paper that they are not meeting their passenger goals. It is frustrating to me because I lived near Chicago for a few months and I got spoiled by their mass transit up there.

They need to expand the system to all corners of Nashville, especially to Franklin, Brentwood, Rivergate area, South Nashville, West End and have a loop system set up that connects from West End to East Nashville too. I only have to drive 10 miles to get to work in the morning and it takes way too long for me to get there.

I would like to hear other folks opinions on this matter. Nashville is getting quite a smog haze now if you ever take the time to notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 04:24 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,235,742 times
Generally a city has to reach a certain size before a real effort is made towards mass transit. Nashville is just about at that point now.

It's going to take a while though. Buses are hated here and rail is very expensive to implement.

If I was in charge of the world (and surprisely, no one has asked me to be), I'd start by trying to re-route the truck traffic around rather than through Nashville, then I'd work on bus transit being friendly to the residents rather than being a detriment.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:08 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,642,651 times
I'm with storey13. I wish I knew the reasons for not having it established already, and what we can do to encourage it. It's a much more environmentally-friendly way to live.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I'm with storey13. I wish I knew the reasons for not having it established already, and what we can do to encourage it. It's a much more environmentally-friendly way to live.
Because until recently there was still room within the existing right-of-ways to add more lanes, and the TDOT had all the money it needed to do so. Now they've "used up" the ROWs in many area; to add more lanes means condemning property and that would be incredibly expensive.

I wouldn't look for a solution anytime soon however. It would take a consorted effort between the TDOT, Metro and all of the surrounding counties; and you know how difficult that would be to arrange. And the TDOT guys are all "road guys". There is a lot of political power in the road-building lobby.

I wish I was more hopefully, but I'm not.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will continue to dream. Eventually they will run out of space to expand the roads and then they will not have a choice.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:18 PM

923 posts, read 3,515,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Generally a city has to reach a certain size before a real effort is made towards mass transit. Nashville is just about at that point now.

It's going to take a while though. Buses are hated here and rail is very expensive to implement.

If I was in charge of the world (and surprisely, no one has asked me to be), I'd start by trying to re-route the truck traffic around rather than through Nashville, then I'd work on bus transit being friendly to the residents rather than being a detriment.
Good Idea, That would by an enormous help to all cities...

Old 05-30-2007, 06:31 AM

6 posts, read 34,294 times
A quick search showed that current ridership on the Music City Star is about 225 people per day, and that it's losing money in a big way. It's hard to justify putting more rail in when ridership on the existing line is so low.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 AM

It seems that commuter rail takes a while for it to catch on. I feel that they should of started with a route from the airport to downtown and then expand from there.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 PM

501 posts, read 1,065,879 times
For most people, I think it's the price of a roundtrip ticket that is killing the commuter train. It's not any more economical than driving.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
For most people, I think it's the price of a roundtrip ticket that is killing the commuter train. It's not any more economical than driving.
Plus you have to do three stage: Get to the station, take the train, then either walk or take a shuttle to where you need to go. It isn't like there's twelve stations in Nashville where you can get off near where you work.

Still, I hope it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville