Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 PM

51 posts, read 213,614 times

Advertisements

I know this is general but I'm just looking for some insight on what living in Nashville is like from others who've moved there. What are the pros the cons and the surprising aspects of living on Nashville (and in Tenn. in general).

Are there plenty of things to do in Nashville? Are there walkable, interesting areas and culture? What's the 'feel' of the area like?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 PM

274 posts, read 763,505 times
Default ~

I looked at your previous posts to get an idea of what part of the country you are from, and noticed you seem to ask a general type of question for many different parts of the country...found it kind of strange...are you just generally curious about different cities or do you move alot?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:26 PM

253 posts, read 870,363 times
Pros: Everything! People are nice/warm/welcoming, can find any type of cuisine you want, good cost of living compared to other places, Traffic is not bad compared to other places, I personally like the weather esp. after spending 5 years in the Northeast. Nashville is cosmopolitan however still retains a "cozy" feel.

Cons: I seriously can't think of any, the one complaint might be the high sales tax on everything but that's because there's not state income tax. So people see it as a trade-off.

After living in Nashville for a long time I was more than ready to leave however after being in the Northeast for those 5 years, all I wanted was to return "home." I didn't know how good I had it until I left.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:38 PM

91 posts, read 302,841 times
the only con i can think of is bad public tranposrtation and crime

Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM

16 posts, read 74,643 times
You came from Oakland and you think Nashville crime is bad ?????????? wow thats funny

Old 11-20-2009, 11:31 AM

16 posts, read 74,643 times
Nashville is awesome ! ! Friendly people, a great music scene, festivals, low cost of living, and TN is a beautiful state !

Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 AM

67 posts, read 222,001 times
Nashville is charming and mostly affordable, the people are polite, and if you like nature and parks this is the place for you. It's a nice mid-sized city with plenty of good shopping, a strong arts community, mild winters, and great music entertainment.
The cons: high sales tax on food and other items, poor public transportation, a few shady neighborhoods you should steer clear of, scary tornado warnings almost weekly during the spring,
overdevelopment blight in some spots, and don't order seafood or Chinese food (it's not very good here). Also, limited access to hard to find items that you can easily purchase in the larger cities.
The neighborhoods differ--there are a few hip spots and also more conservative neighborhoods.
Also, VERY HIGH humidity in the summer and lots of spiders and insects to go with that. Major mold problems if you don't run the air conditioning all summer long and NO OCEAN. If you like the ocean, don't move to Nashville because you won't find one here.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM

253 posts, read 870,363 times
Another con...things open LATE on Sunday and close early too. My gym doesn't open until noon on Sunday, where I lived before (another part of the country) it was 8am. I prefer to go first thing to get it over and done with, so I can get on with my day...especially during the weekend.
Referencing things closing early...Restaurants, shops, etc close early.
I don't know if it's just because it's the South so things are more laid back, we're in the Bible Belt and hence you're supposed to be going to church on Sundays or a little bit a both.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,230,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoaster View Post
Major mold problems if you don't run the air conditioning all summer long and NO OCEAN. If you like the ocean, don't move to Nashville because you won't find one here.
Why would anyone think Nashville was near an ocean? Is this a joke?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 PM

67 posts, read 222,001 times
Default No Ocean

I was thinking about the people from Florida who move here and then complain that they miss the ocean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville