Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 22,924 times

Advertisements

10 days in Nashville so far & loving it! Public transport is awful, mostly because I was told this apartment is south Nashville but it's pretty much Antioch, grr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Sorry to hear that! Nashvols did warn you about transit, though!

Is your dad here too?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,355,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella44 View Post
10 days in Nashville so far & loving it! Public transport is awful, mostly because I was told this apartment is south Nashville but it's pretty much Antioch, grr
Eek. Are you without a car?

Yeah, public transit isn't adequate here. You have to be within a few miles of downtown to make it work.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM

701 posts, read 2,033,057 times
Is there any chance of the public transportation fiasco changing for the better in the upcoming years, or is this just something that not much time/energy/resources is going to be invested into?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,355,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
Is there any chance of the public transportation fiasco changing for the better in the upcoming years, or is this just something that not much time/energy/resources is going to be invested into?
There is certainly a "chance." It's not a topic that is being ignored. Trust me, more time and resources are being put into improving our system -- but there are a lot of questions as to exactly how we proceed.

Off the top of my head, things that have changed in public transportation in Nashville:

-A 32 mile start up commuter rail line (the eastern route was chosen because it does not currently have freight traffic -- and the cost of improvements to the rail and the new stations made it extremely cost efficient).
-A $50+ million indoor bus terminal, replacing an open air "shelter" terminal on Deaderick St.
-Improved express service to some of the outer suburbs.
-A BRT (really, BRT lite because there are no dedicated lanes) service between Rivergate and downtown.
-A couple new cross town routes, such as the brand new university connector, eliminating the need to change buses downtown to get to certain areas.

In the future, plans for a real BRT line with dedicated lanes is supposed to operate between St. Thomas and East End via downtown.

Transit solutions are a hot button issue for urbanites and those who wish to see this city continue to grow in the future. Staying still is obviously not a viable option as our interstates and secondary roads become more crowded. If you're interested in following what's going on, check out this site:

Nashville Area MPO

Transit solutions are not only a Nashville issue, but with the surrounding counties as well. Hopefully we will see some progress and collaboration between our counties.

Here's a link specific to the transportation goals in the more distant future.

http://www.nashvillempo.org/plans_programs/rtp/

Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM

701 posts, read 2,033,057 times
Nice, thanks for the response. I bookmarked that Nashville Area MPO link.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nella44 View Post
Are you still living there and loving it? I'm also looking to break free of NYC within the next 2 years. I'm an English ex-pat and looking for a new town and adventure. I want more space, a home (about to get married) and motorcycle.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 PM

84 posts, read 168,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonwheel View Post
I know this is general but I'm just looking for some insight on what living in Nashville is like from others who've moved there. What are the pros the cons and the surprising aspects of living on Nashville (and in Tenn. in general).

Are there plenty of things to do in Nashville? Are there walkable, interesting areas and culture? What's the 'feel' of the area like?

Thanks for your input.
I really liked Nashville when I lived there.

Pros:

Great food. Really unbeatable in Nashville and I have yet to go anywhere where the food is comparable, except maybe NYC. But again, it's NYC so that's a given.

Beautiful during the fall -- I'd say that's the best time in Nashville

Walkable areas-12 south, Hillsboro Village

I liked that there was a younger culture in Nashville because I'm in my early 20s, but it still felt like there was a good mix of families there as well.

Generally low cost of living, which was good while I lived there

Cons:

-I will probably get a ton of crap for this, but the people in Nashville were nice. Don't get me wrong, they were friendly, BUT I always felt like there was this sense of judgement from them that made me very uncomfortable. After I left Tennessee I realized the whole sense of Southern hospitality was short-lived and overall just a flame. People that I worked with who were from TN (and only them) that I worked VERY closely with and were always nice to my face didn't even say goodbye to me when I left my job. I always was really friendly and outgoing with them too so I found that aspect to be fairly disappointing. I saw this not only with them but with other people who were from the South as well.

-The MTA is pretty good but my bus route ran right to my house (fortunately). HOWEVER, this is not the case for most areas so I would say that is a huge setback.

-Weather is really erratic and I absolutely hated that it was snowing in MARCH/APRIL this year.

-Crime can be bad in some areas. I would not recommend East Nashville personally, as one street can be very nice and the next one can be dangerous.

-You will need a car here, for sure.

I thought I'd miss Nashville a lot when I left but surprisingly I don't miss it at all, and I loved living there. I'm going back for a short visit for a wedding but I don't even feel super excited to be back lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville