Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM

193 posts, read 534,797 times

Advertisements

I read that among SEC football stadiums, Vanderbilt fooball stadium has the worst concessions. Do they not offer anything good.

I know you may think I am crazy for even bringing this up, but I am going with a friend who is a huge Kentucky fan and wants to get there in plenty of time to see Kentucky warm up before the game begins. We will be driving up to Huntsville.

Seriously, is there anything inside the stadium worth eating, or would it be better to try and convince them to go somewhere before or afterwards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Go somewhere else! I don't think the Vandy concessions are any worse than UT, but there are so many great places to eat in that area that I wouldn't waste the opportunity on stadium concessions.
We have Vandy season tickets and we usually eat somewhere before the game and then buy our kids frozen drinks/pretzels/popcorn during the game.
Rotiers is really close, you could park close to it, eat, and then walk to the game. But it can be very, very slow, so keep that in mind. We know people who waited there 45 min. before one game, and finally gave up and ate hot dogs at the game. So check before ordering there.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I echo the idea for Rotier's. It's really a fantastic Nashville institution...but there will be a lot of people there before the game, unless you get there at 7:30 or 8:00. Even then you may have a wait.

There is a Wendy's a block away from the stadium, but you know what you're getting there.

Since it's an early game, I'd consider maybe going for a hearty breakfast (which you can get at Rotier's) but maybe look into Pancake Pantry at nearby Hillsboro Village (21st and Hillsboro Rd). It's always busy in the morning, but if you get there early, you should be fine.

There is also a BBQ stand right outside the stadium in Vandyville (the tailgate area just outside the stadium on the corner of Natchez Trace/Jess Neely Drive. I've never eaten there, but it smells great. It's more of a "get your food and stand around" kinda place, but there is a jumbotron with other games or ESPN right next to it that you can watch. And if you wander around the parking lots, you're bound to get asked if you'd like some tailgating grub. We VU fans are a friendly lot and are usually willing to share, even if you're wearing blue.

As for the concessions inside, it is improving, but otherwise pretty bland. The best thing is probably the mini Papa John's pizzas or maybe the chili bowls.

And this may be too much information, but about 5-7 years ago, the concession stands failed the Metro Nashville Health Department inspection. They seem very clean now...I wouldn't hesitate buying something there...but I definitely think you're better off just buying snack concessions and eating heartily before the game.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM

193 posts, read 534,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I echo the idea for Rotier's. It's really a fantastic Nashville institution...but there will be a lot of people there before the game, unless you get there at 7:30 or 8:00. Even then you may have a wait.

There is a Wendy's a block away from the stadium, but you know what you're getting there.

Since it's an early game, I'd consider maybe going for a hearty breakfast (which you can get at Rotier's) but maybe look into Pancake Pantry at nearby Hillsboro Village (21st and Hillsboro Rd). It's always busy in the morning, but if you get there early, you should be fine.

There is also a BBQ stand right outside the stadium in Vandyville (the tailgate area just outside the stadium on the corner of Natchez Trace/Jess Neely Drive. I've never eaten there, but it smells great. It's more of a "get your food and stand around" kinda place, but there is a jumbotron with other games or ESPN right next to it that you can watch. And if you wander around the parking lots, you're bound to get asked if you'd like some tailgating grub. We VU fans are a friendly lot and are usually willing to share, even if you're wearing blue.

As for the concessions inside, it is improving, but otherwise pretty bland. The best thing is probably the mini Papa John's pizzas or maybe the chili bowls.

And this may be too much information, but about 5-7 years ago, the concession stands failed the Metro Nashville Health Department inspection. They seem very clean now...I wouldn't hesitate buying something there...but I definitely think you're better off just buying snack concessions and eating heartily before the game.
Really, willing to share tailgating grub? Tell me, how many blocks outside the stadium is Vandyville? How long does it go before and after the game? The barbecue does sound so good. I tell you what I think Vandy folks ought to consider selling, Whitt's Barbecue. I bet Whitt's would make a fortune if they had a stand at Vandy's stadium.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 AM

13 posts, read 39,877 times
I'm also a Vandy season ticket holder. Besides being expensive (which I guess is obvious with any sporting event), the food really isn't that great. I'd recommend going somewhere else. The problem is with the kickoff time being right after 11 AM, you don't really have enough time to eat lunch and it's really too late for breakfast.

Vandyville is right outside the stadium on Natchez Trace (the press box side). There's all kinds of tailgating going on up and down that street. I'm not for sure the hours but I'm sure there will be a several people tailgating from really early Saturday morning up until kickoff. Rotier's is a good suggestion. There's also a Logan's across the street from Rotier's along with a Chili's on West End. Of course, you may want something that isn't a chain. Have fun. Go Vandy!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:32 PM

253 posts, read 868,875 times
I'd go with the other suggestions on this site and not eat at the stadium...there's Rotier's, Chili's, Logan's, Schlotzsky's, Bread & Company, Atlanta Bread, Panera, and Calypso Cafe...along with countless traditional fast food on West End (Baja Fresh, Arbys, Taco bell, etc).
If you're worried about time, you can always grab something light and then eat more substantial after the game.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I know the game is already played (man Vandy stinks this year). But Golden Rule BBQ is the name of the BBQ stand right outside of the stadium towards Vandyville. I saw it Saturday and thought I'd write it down here for future reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville