Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 13,647 times

Advertisements

Hey Edge--tell your friends in Hermitage to keep their eyes and ears open for possible rentals in the area.....we're ideal renters...perfect credit, great references, low maintenance...we've even considered approaching home SELLERS who are having trouble given to economy about renting their home. the areas south of I-40 in Hermitage sound and look pretty nice--newer, yet established. is the area pretty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM

569 posts, read 1,426,748 times
I will ask my friends if they've seen any rentals in their subdivision. It's a new subdivision. I don't know the name of it offhand. I would not even look at anything in Antioch or off Nolensville Road. Not that it's all bad. I just don't think that's what you are looking for. Newer and upscale are not adjectives I would use to describe it. I think you'll be able to find the type of house you want over in certain areas of Hermitage and maybe even Mount Juliet. My sister and brother in law live in Mount Juliet. There are pockets of nice neighborhoods and big houses over there. That side of town is not as "upscale" as say Brentwood, Green Hills or Cool Springs, but I definitely think you could find a nice house to rent while you're figuring it out.

Although Nashville hasn't been hit as hard by the housing bubble as the rest of the country, there are still people who are going to negotiate. I would take my time on that one and just get to know the areas first and then zone in on what you want.

I'll get that subdivision name for you and email my friend to see if she knows of any rentals in her neighborhood. Those houses are probably $250k to $300k houses....so they are pretty nice.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,426,748 times
Also...I meant to tell you. There are really two lakes over there. Old Hickory is north of I-40 and Percy Priest south of I-40. There are nice houses in both areas. Houses can be located with direct access to Old Hickory and they tend to have their own docks. All of the land around Percy Priest is government property and there's no direct access to homes. Of couse...a house directly on the lake on Old Hickory is not going to be cheap. I would still check it out though....you may find a good deal. I think it would be nice to have a house directly on the lake.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 PM

31 posts, read 106,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsfl View Post
The other area that seems like a possibility is the area around Berry Hill, Duncan Wood, Oak hill, Nashville Zoo and the villages of Brentwood which are all between I-65 and I-24---sort of along Nolensville Pike corridor. A question about the commute from this area--is it shorter time-wise to use Thompson Lane/Briley Parkway up to I-40 then to continue to I-440? It looks like it could shave a few minutes and some heavy traffic off the commute time.
hey! i currently live in south nashville in a complex right off briley near the briley/I-40 intersection, near thompson lane. i am about to move to east nashville but i can vouch for this area. from here to the zoo is considered the Woodbine/Glencliff area and i have been here about a year and a half. as you know, once you get past the zoo headed south you start getting closer to brentwood and it starts getting a little more suburban, a little nicer. south nashville is not really a hot area, but it is inexpensive and if you were here, you'd be super close to I-40 without having to go through the downtown area, yet you'd be closer to downtown than, say, Mount Juliet or hermitage if you wanted to go.

i am a single, 23 year old female, and i can say i have no major issues with this area. i can also say i understand your desire to be close to work and not have to drive your life away. 40 is here, 440 is here, 24 is here... and 65 isn't too far away. in my house search i looked at villages of brentwood and it's nice. personally, i would not want to take nolensville road each day to get to I-40. it's a lot of lights to go through and thompson lane can get pretty dang hairy at certain times of the day. Berry Hill is not so much residential as it is primarily businesses. But it is very close to the woodbine area, and one draw that has is the new 100 Oaks/Vanderbilt Health development which could potentially increase demand for housing in this area. I will tell you that woodbine is very ethnically diverse. It is pretty Hispanic. I would be lying to you if I said there wasn't crime around here, but it's usually not random. Antioch is as well, and I've heard there is some gang violence occuring there. I live in an apartment with Kurds, Sudanese, Hispanics, and Egyptians. I, however, have found them to be very friendly.

I live in 37217. If you're interested in woodbine, villages of brentwood, and that vicinity, you may want to enter zip codes 37211 and 37210 into your realtracs search. i hope you find this info helpful!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM

6 posts, read 13,647 times
Thanks for all the help...it's gonna be useful in my house-hunting next week. Thanks to everyone.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,366 times
I'm a gay male in my mid-30's who grew up in Wilson County. I now live in Atlanta, but my family is still in the area. The people in Lebanon are very nice and you will enjoy working in the area. But, they are very conservative. The Donelson, Hermitage, Old Hickory and Mt. Juliet areas are also very conservative. As an out gay man, I would not feel welcome living in those areas. Having been in larger cities like Los Angeles and Atlanta since I left, the traffic in Nashville seems like a piece of cake. If you are used to driving in a larger city, don't worry as much about the commute and live in an area you will enjoy. East Nashville had a horrible reputation when I was a kid, but I've heard great things about it recently. It seems to be an up and coming area. However, if I were to move back to Nashville today, I would live in the Green Hills/Hillsboro Rd area. This has always been a nice, upscale area, and it seems to be gay friendly. My second choice would be Berry Hill or Brentwood. As for the commute, you would be better off in Green Hills, close to I-440.
You should definitely avoid the Antioch/Hickory Hollow Mall area. It is not a safe area. Nolensville Rd and the Priest Lake area are also questionable. Nashville is a decent size city and it does have it's share of crime. I was shot while working in the West End area (a typically nice area) in the early 90's. So, just be aware of your surroundings.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville