Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 06:08 PM

1,056 posts, read 735,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
If the Nashville metro ever gets to Atlanta/Houston/Dallas size, it's going to be pure hell for people living in a place like Nolensville, which is in a freeway desert.
Yes. They should extend SR 266 to Nolensville and make said extension a 65 mph freeway, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 07:11 PM

16,178 posts, read 32,578,877 times
Folks - please keep posts on Nashville. Atlanta, Houston, other cities are not on topic. Thank you.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:22 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,374,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Yes. They should extend SR 266 to Nolensville and make said extension a 65 mph freeway, just in case.
I think that would have been a great plan 15-20 years ago, before a lot of the neighborhoods on the west side of 24 started popping up. Now, I just don't see a route for it.

I think at one time there was talk of making a divided 4 lane (non-freeway) from Smyrna (Sam Ridley) to Franklin (Liberty Pike). Probably mostly along the Clovercroft and Rock Springs Rd routes. I think that would've made a lot of sense.

I think there are still opportunities to widen and 4 lane some routes between some of the suburbs, but I feel like any freeway proposal is DOA. The cost will be enormous. It will be hampered by lawsuits. Most people living close by will oppose it. I think focusing on improving current road infrastructure is the best course of action right now.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 735,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think that would have been a great plan 15-20 years ago, before a lot of the neighborhoods on the west side of 24 started popping up. Now, I just don't see a route for it.

I think at one time there was talk of making a divided 4 lane (non-freeway) from Smyrna (Sam Ridley) to Franklin (Liberty Pike). Probably mostly along the Clovercroft and Rock Springs Rd routes. I think that would've made a lot of sense.

I think there are still opportunities to widen and 4 lane some routes between some of the suburbs, but I feel like any freeway proposal is DOA. The cost will be enormous. It will be hampered by lawsuits. Most people living close by will oppose it. I think focusing on improving current road infrastructure is the best course of action right now.
Now that I've given it some thought, I have an idea that may be better for Nolensville than either a 4-lane divided surface street or full freeway.

Perhaps they could make a western extension of S.R. 266 following the approximate route you mentioned, but wherever possible as a 60 mph limited-access (not full freeway) four-lane undivided highway with a turning lane, otherwise as a 50 mph divided surface street with turning lanes at all intersections.

The 60 mph portions could have bike lanes on the shoulders, right in/right out for most intersections and interchanges (probably mostly SPUIs and parclos) for major ones, with the 50 mph having roundabouts for some major intersections and still bike lanes on the shoulders. Both could have frontage roads so little development happens right on the 50 mph highway and properties aren't landlocked by the 60 mph highway.

At the western end, this would hook up with East McEwen Drive in Franklin, which would also be 4-laned and made part of S.R. 266.

They could also maybe do something similar to the 60 mph suggested between I-840's west end and I-24 in southeastern Clarksville, again dropping to 50 in urban areas in/around Clarksville. If necessary, they could also extend that route to serve northern Springfield (dropping to a 50 mph surface street there too) and connect to the interchange they're building at S.R. 109/I-65.

P.S.: I think 60 mph because 55 is ridiculously low for any sufficiently large highway (even two-lane), and 50 mph because 55 seems to be unreasonable for any road with traffic lights (I don't feel comfortable driving 60 or 55 through the traffic lights on 111 in Cookeville).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville