Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 PM

123 posts, read 355,334 times

Advertisements

where I live now most of the library materials are donated so there is not too much to choose from, plus we still have more vcr tapes than dvd's to rent. The majority of these are very old movies and such.

also, there are just a few little hangouts to read books, or have a cup of coffee.......all privately owned, besides "hastings" by doing a search I have noticed a "Barnes and Nobles" which is cool since I left a city that had one and I spent quite a bit of free time in.

What does Murfreesboro have as far as little hangouts for coffee, and used bookstores and what is the library system like?

A few more little questions that popped up in my mind considering any free time I may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,961,621 times
Hi Slowes,

We have a great Public Library. I think you should have no problem here as far as that goes.

Linebaugh Public Library

We have the usual bookstores.
Books-A -Million
Hastings
Barnes and Noble

Used Book Stores (there were more, but I don't know anything about them)
The Book Corner (http://www.usdirectory.com/sl/thebookcorner/index.htm?wr=1&afid=1829&utm_source=superpages&utm _medium=cpc - broken link)

As for coffee shops, there are 3 Starbucks.
Jozoara Coffee which is new.
Panera Bread is also a nice place to read a book, get some coffee and a bagel. They have an area with big chairs and I am pretty sure a hotspot for wireless internet like Starbucks.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:20 PM

it does Kim thank you, I had seen that website, just couldn't get much out of it, since I am not a recipient, but the building looks beautiful. Normally when I go to see a city I go to the library.....I don't know, I just think the library makes the city. I am not THAT big of a reader but when I do want to read something I would like to be able to find it in the local library, instead of having to buy it.

I kind of thought with the boro being a college town that there would be some privately owned used bookstore/coffeeshops in the area. Of course you have to frequent them to know them,right? LOL

Again thank you so much for your input, you are a great asset to this message board.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:29 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,961,621 times
Thank you for the compliment Slowes. I appreciate it.

There maybe some non chain coffee shop,s but I don't know. I always hit up Starbucks because it's my favorite! We have a lot of commercial chains here. It's chain heaven. The square has a coffee /sandwich shop (non chain) which is close to the library. You might like that. Sorry, but the name escapes me right now. Wouldn't be hard to find with it being on the square.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:31 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,224,034 times
There's also McKay's for used books and DVDs in Nashville. I'm not sure whether there's one in Murfreesboro or not. An old Nashville tradition is Elder's Bookstore for used books. I don't go over there as I once did (blame Amazon), but I used to while away a Saturday morning there from time to time back years ago.

And, if you happen to find that the library in Murfreesboro isn't enough (it probably is), you can pay a yearly fee and use the Nashville Public Library.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,632,633 times
Am I correct in saying that there is also the MTSU library. The general public can go there too, right?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM

764 posts, read 2,550,454 times
There are several non-chain coffee shope in the Boro, most located near the university. I know of at least 2 used bookstores that I have personally been to and I'm sure there are more if you look around. The Murfreesboro Library is undersized for our population and they are planning on adding new branches in the future as the economy allows. However, we do have a pretty good selection and you can check availability and place holds on your selections online for all the branches in the Linebaugh Library system.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:02 PM

764 posts, read 2,550,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Am I correct in saying that there is also the MTSU library. The general public can go there too, right?
Absolutely!

From MTSU website:
Who may use the library? [Top]Anyone may enter the library building to use the print collections and online resources. Research assistance is also available to anyone at the Reference Desk on the first floor. Current students, staff, and faculty members may check out materials with an MTSU ID and may use online resources off-campus with a Pipeline username and password. In addition, alumni of MTSU and residents of Tennessee who are at least 18 years of age and out of high school may apply at the Circulation desk for a borrower card that will allow them to check out a limited number of books. See Circulation Policies for more details.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 PM

how cool is that ha?

Thank you my fine forum matey's

Old 08-17-2009, 02:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,907,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
where I live now most of the library materials are donated so there is not too much to choose from, plus we still have more vcr tapes than dvd's to rent. The majority of these are very old movies and such.

also, there are just a few little hangouts to read books, or have a cup of coffee.......all privately owned, besides "hastings" by doing a search I have noticed a "Barnes and Nobles" which is cool since I left a city that had one and I spent quite a bit of free time in.

What does Murfreesboro have as far as little hangouts for coffee, and used bookstores and what is the library system like?

A few more little questions that popped up in my mind considering any free time I may have!

curious - where do you live now? I love really old movies!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville