Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 06:26 PM

283 posts, read 495,907 times

Advertisements

I notice an abundance of crawspace homes in Nashville, as well as homes built on slabs. I would like to get feedback on which is the best for keeping out unwanted spiders-snakes-ants and critters.

What protection do you have against tornados if there are no basements?

What is everyone's preference out there in the Nashville area?

I would like to get feedback on this subject while out house hunting.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,207,730 times
Until fairly recently, slab foundations were only used on the cheapest houses in the Nashville area. Now some nicer homes are built on a slab. In areas where the terrain is sloped or hilly, crawls spaces and basements foundation are still the way the majority of houses are built.

As to your question, a lived in basement would probably be the best. Spiders and things love dark, unused basements and crawl spaces; although I'm not sure whether than would mean more of them would get into the house itself or not. A slab on grade doesn't provide a place for spiders and bugs, of course, but the floor level is almost always closer to the ground with a slab. So, for you, probably a finished basement would be the top choice, followed by a slab on grade.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,825 times
REI, just 'Google' crawlspace versus slab and you will get links that will answer most any question on this. In general, a slab is the cheapest to build but there can be significant problems with them. A slab doesn't allow easy access to various environmental systems(i.e., plumbing, electrical, HVAC) and can be very costly if work is needed on one of these systems.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
I discussed this issue in-depth with my home inspector before we decided to buy a slab home. He basically said what gbone said, as long as there's not any plumbing/hvac issues, a slab is fine. His major concern with slab homes is when he saw them not properly graded...which means water/moisture can easily pool up under the home and cause all kinds of major problems from mold to foundation cracking. So as long as it's graded properly and the plumbing is done correctly intially, you should be in good shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville