Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:09 PM

41 posts, read 87,564 times

Advertisements

All,

I couldn't possibly the only one whose basement floods. I'm looking for recommendations on how you dealt with water in your basement. Anything from do-it-yourself treatment to hiring companies to help. I've gotten quotes from landscapers for a french drain ($2000), and also from USS for underground water drainage system ($5000).

Are there any other solutions out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 02:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
Honestly, I'm surprised USS's quote was that low.

We need more specifics on your lot, the age and layout of the house, etc.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:32 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,481,145 times
My home inspector once told me there are 2 types of homes in Middle TN, ones with water in the crawlspace or basement, and ones that didn't have water in them the day you checked.

I've had friends with long term basement issues who've gone the french drain route, others who've tried to solve it through re-grading the lot, and others who had to use a professional service like USS. I think you're on the right track, but as Wmsn said we probably need more info.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:51 PM

Hi... and thanks for the quick reply.

The house was originally built in 1958. The front faces a very slight slope upwards, the basement is a drive-in garage type that is on the back of the house. The front of the house is fully submerged in the soil, with stairs on the side the lead down to the garage area.

I've been in there for 6 months and during that time have noticed water in the basement three times. Twice the water was sort of smallish pools in the area toward the front of the house. Once, when it really rained for days, i came down one morning to find an inch of water sitting in the garage. It quickly ran out when I opened the garage door.

The USS guy says that the wall facing the front was probably originally covered with tar that has eroded over the years. He proposed two options: one, to excavate in the front down to the footings, put in drainage pipes, filling in with gravel against the wall, and cover with a foot of soil. Two, to go into the basement, remove concrete floor near the wall, dig down, make weep holes in the cinderblock, place drainage pipe, and relay the concrete on top of all this.

The landscaper recommended a 1-1/2 foot deep french drain, and building a berm against the front wall at ground level. The berm would move water away from the wall and into the drain. The drainage would join other underground drainage and safely divert the water away.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:58 PM

I like the sounds of the landscaper's idea, only because my experience with USS is that they are experts in overkill.

If you look at your lot in terms of the topography of your street, it is easy to see that the slight slope is leading water right to your house, and with the basement level being below grade, you will have water in there.

Since there is a layer of limestone beneath the topsoil here, water runoff is a big issue. Honestly, everyone I know with a below-grade space has had water encroachment. I would start with the landscaper's option, then follow with some DIY indoor treatment like this: STEP-BY-STEP - DRYLOK Masonry Waterproofer. I have no experience with this product, but it may be a back-up.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 PM

201 posts, read 320,368 times
Do they do weeping tile down here in Tennessee? I've noticed that the townhouse we're renting doesn't have any around it but we're fairly elevated. I had to check out this thread simply for the use of the word "basement" which I really miss from up north.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM

THANKS! i have already started with a portion of the wall using DryLok.

I'm relieved to get some confirmation here - thanks again.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Weeping tile.... hm.. have not heard of it, but I will check it out!

Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,553,305 times
Check your down spouts.

My old house was on Ask This Old House. I had a wet basement. Roger came out and his crew removed a bunch of dirt from the side of the house and then buried the downspout on the corner of the house that had a wet basement to drain into the street.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Check your down spouts.

My old house was on Ask This Old House. I had a wet basement. Roger came out and his crew removed a bunch of dirt from the side of the house and then buried the downspout on the corner of the house that had a wet basement to drain into the street.
This is a very important point.

Make sure the house itself isn't working against you by draining rainwater straight down to your foundation.

If your front yard slopes upward, you can't really go toward the street. Get some of those black corrugated plastic tubes and redirect the water WAY out into the backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville