Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 AM

162 posts, read 553,678 times

Advertisements

That's the fun part of Spring Hill and Thompson's Station - at the median price, you'll pay just over 20% less than you will in Franklin. Most of the time this will also be a much newer property. Just depends on what you are aiming for in your next home. Price? Space? Convenience? Less maintenance? Stability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,286,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsilly View Post
Wow...I have been looking at Thompson's Station because I can get the type of home I am looking for easier than I could in Franklin. Didn't realize it was so "hillbilly". Is it really that bad? And what's wrong with hillbilly's anyways?? lol I just could not afford a newer home with updated features in Franklin...
hahah it's not hillbilly. I don't know where the OP got that from. if anything the "newer" parts of SH and TS are more yuppies than anything.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 AM

274 posts, read 766,140 times
Thanks guys..will be in the area soon and will check it out..

Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,676,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
(Henceforth Brentwood/Franklin is BW/F and Thompson Station/ Spring Hill is TS/SH.)

Welp made it through 2 interviews awaiting the 3rd and its looking that there is a distinct possibility (40% and rising) of moving to Nashville area.

Job is in extreme southern end of Brentwood near 65.

I have read almost dire warnings (some here, others elsewhere) that only BW/F is the only good choice and TS/SH are almost a bunch of cousin marrying uneducated hillbillies. Im reading these reviews in almost disbelief as I dont see it statistically... But then again not all is as it appears at first. I realize BW/F are highly likely to have the most uber schools simply given basic demographics. I check out the statistics and there seems to be a good case for Thompson Station and Spring Hill; especially the Williamson Co side of SH.

Commute. Obviously BW/F is closer, but quite frankly, I currently live in NJ and would probably find what Tennesee calls traffic jams amusing. I time shift my day early anyway. I got up at 445AM and was out the door by 505AM. My NJ commute was 48 miles EACH WAY.

Schools. I have a 3 y/o and a 5 y/o that is going to start Kindergarten.

Really it looks like a better split is to consider the Williamson side of SH the same or nearly as TS then consider SH Maury side separately.

Brentwood/ Frankin 10s with just a few 9s or 8s topto bottom.

High
TS/SH-Williamson, Independence, Greatschools 10
SH-Maury, SH High, Greatschools 4 and its in Columbia???

Middle
SH/TS Williamson, Heritage, Greatschools 10
SH Maury, EA Cox, Greatschools 6

Elementary
TS -?
SH Williamson, Chapman Retreat Greatschools 8
SH Maury, SH Elementary, Gratschools 6? Theres a bunch of them.

What is with the spring hill schools Maury having Columbia addresses? I get it that Columbia has crime problems. Statistics bear that out.

Independence seems to rate near Brentwood in Greatschools. Brentwood might be a better 10, but that difference almost seems more for the IB chasing crowd.

Crime. Brentwood appears to have a smothering police force. Typical of the demographics.
Franklin appears similar though less so.
SH/TS. I could not find crime for TS. I could find it for SH. It is higher than BW/F, but appears below average and typical suburban non violent.

Shopping.
I need a (preferably Super)Walmart, a couple grocery stores, a Target, a HD or Lowes and a Bed Bath and Beyond (to keep the wife happy). I get in, buy my stuff, and leave.

All locations seem to offer this. Brentwood seems to offer more variety of stores, but a Coach store, is of zero utility to us.

Cable TV. Looks like Williamson is Comcast and Maury is Charter. Looks like Maury gets an outright win on this one.

Natural gas. Williamson vs Maury. Is one more expensive?

Electric. Williamson vs Maury. Is one more expensive?

OK. What am I missing to cause such dire warnings about TS/SH? The 2800 SF 4 bedroom single family in TS/SH is one heck of alot more tempting than the small Brentwood condo. Dont care if its a tract house off a standard building plan as long as its nice.

With a budget of 250K the TS/Sh house is DRASTICALLY nicer than the BW/F condo at that budget. I cant do 350K. I dont do kamikaze mortgages.

The overall goal is a decent end outcome for my kids at age 18, no 1979 Trans-Ams on blocks on the lawn next door, and not being shot by a neighbor.

Cousin-marrying hillbillies? Give me a break. That's all I'll say.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,415,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
hahah it's not hillbilly. I don't know where the OP got that from. if anything the "newer" parts of SH and TS are more yuppies than anything.
I have to agree with you on that. In no way is Spring Hill/ Thompson Station Hillybilly. It'd becoming the place to move if Brentwood and Franklin are to high priced. You get a lot for your money there.

Diane G

Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 AM

627 posts, read 1,857,509 times
The problem is TS and SH are really, really far out from Nashville. This isn't a problem if you work in Maryland Farms or around Cool Springs, but figure 50 minutes each way to downtown Nashville during rush hour.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 AM

162 posts, read 553,678 times
Big TR: right again :-) The cost of drive-time is so much more obvious in today's market. Convenience is apparently still king…

Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,684,961 times
No matter how much you think you want that TS or SH house, once you hit the Hwy 96 exit bottleneck, you will think twice. Or 3 times. Or 23.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,286,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
No matter how much you think you want that TS or SH house, once you hit the Hwy 96 exit bottleneck, you will think twice. Or 3 times. Or 23.
oh yes, I used to do that drive from Columbia and am now traumatized from driving.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 PM

627 posts, read 1,857,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I live just about halfway between the 96 exit and the Peytonsville Rd exit. Even if I leave work at 4, the bottleneck is usually backed up to the 96 exit by the time I hit it at 4:25. I just get off and go down Royal Oaks. The backup happens earlier as the week progresses. Monday I can usually take the interstate home. Tuesday and Wednesday is a coin flip. Thursday is a just about always a no go and Friday is guaranteed to be a parking lot, even if I leave work at 3:30.

A good example of this traffic nightmare was Wednesday night. No wrecks, nothing going on. We headed to the city for dinner around 6 and the Southbound bottleneck was backed up all the way to the Cool Springs exit. That's over 3 miles of backup. And don't think you can just start going 75 after you merge. You usually can't get up to speed until the Peytonsville Road exit 4 miles down the road. You kind of lurch forward between 15 and 60mph for that time.

It is unconscionable that the State hasn't fixed this ridiculous situation impacting thousands of commuters and OTR trucks every day. If choosing SH or TS, just know that you will spend a good chunk of your evening sitting in a parking lot on 65 unless you can work odd hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville