Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 04:37 PM

35 posts, read 245,073 times

Advertisements

Firstly, about buying - what are some older neighborhoods that are good, or maybe not so great but improving? What about historic areas or neighborhoods near the university? Are there a lot of anal HOA's in Clarksville or is it more low-key?

Secondly, about renting - we have three big dogs that shed a lot - and we rescue dogs (and occasionally cats) so there's no telling when another one will come in - so the optimal rental would be a house with a big backyard, maybe in a rural area where rent is cheaper, and a landlord that doesn't care about the size/number of dogs. Preferably with floors that aren't carpet, or older and not in fantastic shape (this tends to help the whether-the-landlord-cares factor, even though my dogs are all well-trained. Sigh). Is this possible? And which of the rural-ish areas AROUND Clarksville would have the best commute to the university?

Thirdly, about local animal ordinances - does Clarksville have a limit on the maximum number of dogs?

Fourthly, about jobs - anybody know of any accounting firms that are looking for new graduates from a GREAT accounting program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 04:58 PM

204 posts, read 876,488 times
Arrowette, let me be the first to welcome you to Clarksville. I will try and answer your questions by point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowette View Post
Firstly, about buying - what are some older neighborhoods that are good, or maybe not so great but improving? What about historic areas or neighborhoods near the university? Are there a lot of anal HOA's in Clarksville or is it more low-key? Most of the older neighborhoods (circa 1960) are in the Madison Street area and Bellaire (closer to post) to name a couple. Both areas have some very nice homes and alot of the residents have been there for many years. There are few historic homes, but the revolution is on with rennovations of Clarksville's historic district. Two or three major renovations going on right now (Madison Street). Many of the newer subdivisions have HOA's but the monthly fees vary anywhere from 15 a month to 100 (gated communities).

Secondly, about renting - we have three big dogs that shed a lot - and we rescue dogs (and occasionally cats) so there's no telling when another one will come in - so the optimal rental would be a house with a big backyard, maybe in a rural area where rent is cheaper, and a landlord that doesn't care about the size/number of dogs. Preferably with floors that aren't carpet, or older and not in fantastic shape (this tends to help the whether-the-landlord-cares factor, even though my dogs are all well-trained. Sigh). Is this possible? And which of the rural-ish areas AROUND Clarksville would have the best commute to the university? With three big dogs you will find it difficult to find a rental property. There are many rentals that allow pets, but mainly small dogs. That is not to say that you can't find on.

Thirdly, about local animal ordinances - does Clarksville have a limit on the maximum number of dogs? No ordinance that I am familiar with. As long as the animals are cared for there should be no issue. That said, there is always the possibility of nieghbors complaining about dogs barking in the night, etc - but that would hold true in any town.

Fourthly, about jobs - anybody know of any accounting firms that are looking for new graduates from a GREAT accounting program? Stone, Rudolph and Henry is one of the larger accounting firms in town. They also have a location in Nashville. I would think this would be a great place to start.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:32 PM

127 posts, read 364,713 times
Well, luckily, for you, there are no animal ordinances in Clarksville at all. I know this because we had a neighbor who collected pitbulls, and even after one of them killed/severely injured three of her other dogs, we still couldn't get the police to do anything about it. She had a rental, but the only reason she got away with having 20+ dogs and destroying the property is because the landlord had cancer and hadn't been around to check on her property, someone had to track her down and tell her.

That said, I have three cats and two dogs, I would say that you are better off just buying. When we moved here we didn't even have the dogs and every rental I found that did allow pets, had a maximum of two and wanted huge pet deposits.

Also, a lot of people here don't think they need to keep their dog on a leash or in their yard, so be careful about walking your dogs. My husband was walking one of our dogs and a rotweiler, who was left out with a small child, ran up and tried to rip his throat out. And since he wasn't outside by the time animal control was open the next day, nothing was done about it. So watch out for your babies, because the city doesn't care about them.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM

213 posts, read 769,930 times
Just wanted to second the loose dog comment. We live about 20 min from Clarksville and it is the same by us. I don't know if it can be considered a southern trait or a TN trait or perhaps just country living in a less populated area. The people we bought our house from told us that there is a leash law around here, but we have never seen anyone walk a dog on a leash -ever. Our neighbor had at least 3 dogs and didn't even own a leash! Granted we are not in a city, but I can count on one hand the # of dogs I see that are contained on their own property. They are constantly running around, hanging out in the road, coming on our property, etc. We cannot walk our dogs (kept safely in a fenced yard or on leashes) off our property for fear of problems with the loose dogs. I cannot comprehend why these people bother having a dog as they obviously care so little for its safety to let it run loose in the road. Very few even wear collars/tags.
That is terrible about the Rottweiler, there has got to be some sort of protection your husband can carry, maybe whatever the postal workers are issued?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 PM

35 posts, read 245,073 times
Yeah, I'm from Mississippi, I'm no stranger to dogs running loose. It bothers me, but not as much as the city government of Ridgeland telling me that I can't have more than 3 dogs, no exceptions, or the cities that won't allow people to own German Shepherds or Chows or whatever. I do rescue and foster dogs so this is a concern for wherever I move.

It's unfortunate that local governments can't find a happy medium of enacting and enforcing laws to protect animals (such as leash laws) without being tyrannical towards the owners' perfectly valid choices (such as having 5 dogs, or a Chow, or whatever).

Anyway, I know it's not easy anywhere to find a rental that allows 3 large dogs without an inane pet deposit, but I've always been able to find something, especially when looking outside the city limits, going through owner-landlords, and being open to living in a house that isn't in great shape. The house I'm living in now was damaged much more by the previous frat boy tenants than any dog could have done, and so my landlord doesn't give a damn how many animals I bring in even though the initial pet policy was pretty strict.

Anyways, I guess I'll just look in the rural areas. I've got 2 months left on the lease I've got now, so I've got plenty of time to look. Are leases starting in August very common in Clarksville? (That's practically the only time leases begin in the college town I'm in now.)

Also, are there recreational areas (or just places to park) at the big lake by Clarksville that allow dogs? I take them swimming a lot more often than taking them on walks anyways.

ETA: Cashmann, thanks for the tip about Stone, Rudolph, and Henry. They are accepting resumes. Yay!

Last edited by Arrowette; 05-17-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 03:37 PM

127 posts, read 364,713 times
There's Dunbar Cave:

TN State Parks: Dunbar Cave State Park

If by the lakes you mean Land Between the Lakes, i've taken my dogs there and it's a good place for them. I've never tried to take them swimming at the beach there, because the one who can be off a leash hates kids, and the one who doesn't hate kids is a runner. But yeah, it's about a 40 (?) minute drive.

Clarksville is an army town, there are always people coming and going and always lots of rentals. If all else fails, you can rent a trailer until you get jobs and can afford to get a house.

Greyhnd, we were told that if we see the dog out again (which we will because i've seen him loose before), to call the police and wait for the on-call animal control officer to show up. Which is exactly what I intend to do. I can't even walk MYSELF around the neighborhood without getting accosted by a loose dog. I live kind of where 374 and 41A cross so even though it's close to the main drag, it's semi-rural and pretty quiet back there, if it wasn't for the dog problem, I would love it.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:04 PM

13 posts, read 61,743 times
Default Relocating to Clarksville - what neighborhoods are getting better, good place for a rental, etc.?

Anyone...I notice Tennessee has no income tax, but I do realize services cost money-Real and Personal property are accessed. Real probably $X per 1,000 of accessed value.

On the Personal property tax how is the tax determined?
How much does it cost to register a car/pickup?
What sort of vehicle smog/safety inspections does the state have?

Yockee

Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 PM

204 posts, read 876,488 times
Hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yockee View Post
Anyone...I notice Tennessee has no income tax, but I do realize services cost money-Real and Personal property are accessed. Real probably $X per 1,000 of accessed value.

On the Personal property tax how is the tax determined? Sales tax is 9.5%
How much does it cost to register a car/pickup? Military (non-res) is $35 a year I believe. Resident is $50 a year (will have to check but not bad)
What sort of vehicle smog/safety inspections does the state have? Some counties do, but none in Clarksville at this time.

Yockee

Old 07-15-2009, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,082 times
Can anyone tell me how the neighborhood is at Jack Miller Blvd? My husband is being stationed at Fort Campbell and I don't want the kids to be in a bad place. (drug, violence, etc..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville