Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 03:52 PM

12 posts, read 20,981 times

Advertisements

I just have a couple of questions, if you all do not mind. My family and I have been interested in relocating to the Nashville area for over a year now. I am from Lake Charles, LA and I lost my father a few years back. We are very nice and good people who are just trying to make it. My mother and I just graduated from college last year and have been trying to get back on our feet with work. Since the recession started, we have been searched all over Louisiana and so far we cannot find anything and nobody seems to give us a chance since we are starting out in the workforce. We have been appyling for anything entry level such as clerical or office work, just anything to get by with. We have been reading a lot about how the unemployment is rising throughout the whole state of Tennessee? We were just wandering if it is pretty bad as it seems and if there is any jobs left? Again, I would really appreciate the help and the advice anyone can give.

Thanks.

Last edited by gigi1985; 05-04-2009 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:29 PM

957 posts, read 3,714,526 times
It all depends on what you want to do. Jobs are just not plentiful in any industry right now, but some are better than others. The problem with entry level is that there are so many people with experience out of work who are willing to work at entry level pay, it makes it hard for anyone right out of school. I wouldn't move without having a job first.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM

Yeah, we are not planning to move until we got a stable job first.We have been applying for anything online every night non stop from Tennessee down to Louisiana. We are thinking about going back to technical school for a few months for medical assistant. We are going to see from there what happens. Thank you very much for your response.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM

957 posts, read 3,714,526 times
The local colleges are turning out medical assistants, x-ray techs, ultrasound techs, etc. by the thousands. Finding a job in the medical field may not be as easy as some may think. I suspect in a year or two the medical job market will be flooded. Getting a call back while living elsewhere will be challenging. There are so many qualified people right here who can start work tomorrow, most employers won't bother even looking if you don't live here. I'm not trying to discourage you, just conveying the reality of the whole thing.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,062,260 times
Being from Louisiana, have you looked in New Orleans? Lowest unemployment rate of any major metro in America. Not that we wouldn't love to have you, a young single female, in Nashville.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,405,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Being from Louisiana, have you looked in New Orleans? Lowest unemployment rate of any major metro in America. Not that we wouldn't love to have you, a young single female, in Nashville.
Pimpy, LOL!!!! oh you sound like my son now.

Diane G

Old 05-05-2009, 02:13 AM

Again, thank you very much for your help and advice. We really hate to keep asking questions, but we do not know if you all knew of any other cites or other areas around Tennessee that are not as competitive with the job market? We will also try Texas since I heard there economy is doing ok.

We have tried all Louisiana, but New Orleans got hit a few years ago by hurricane Katrina. We got hurricane Rita and both hurricanes were very disasterous. We also had to evacuate two times within a month last September for hurricane Gustav and Ike. We have been told that Louisiana has a 70% chance of getting hit again this year. We are very scared about this upcoming season and we are trying to get out of the Gulf coast as soon as possible. It has costed us a lot of money from all of the evacuations and damage to our homes. We are also having budget cuts this coming July 1. Our state is really bad off. I am sorry to tell you all of this and I really appreciate all of the help from you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville