Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 34,154 times

Advertisements

We are going to hopefully be relocating down to Murfreesboro, Tn in the next 12 months from our current 'home' in Dundalk, Md.

My employer has an office there so once a position becomes available,we'll see what happens.

From what I have read about Murfreesboro on the various forums its mainly a newer town with an increasing population. What I'm not clear on, having been looking at property there, prices are very low compared to up here in MD, but I cant be clear if there are good and bad parts to the area.

Is anyone able to guide me on where I should or should not be looking for real estate? We have a 2 years and a 1 month old so schools are going to be very important to us also, plus maybe close to parks as we are dog lovers also.

I know its a big ask but also, does anyone have any links for good pictures of murfreesboro, I so far havent been able to come across any sites that have pictures of the area.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Gavin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 16,781 times
I lived in M'boro for several years while I attended MTSU, if not the largest, one of the largest Universities in the state. Its a Great growing, (this means some construction) college town. There are lots of students, but the general population is pretty savvy and very friendly. Its small, but you have everything you need with Nashville being close, (Imax theater, Opryland, concert halls, sports arenas) I dont have children but I would love to raise my family there. It doesn't get too too cold (below 40) and can get very humid when its hot. It might snow 1-3 times a year. Check out Rutherford County, Tennessee | Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce maybe that will help too. Smyrna is a close, smaller town. Franklin is a ritzier area, closer to Nashville (about 30 minutes away). Hope this helps!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinderbayne View Post
We are going to hopefully be relocating down to Murfreesboro, Tn in the next 12 months from our current 'home' in Dundalk, Md.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Gavin.
I just spent a week there touring the whole city. I really did not see a real bad area. Yes some ares around the old downtown were a bit scruffy, but even they were not bad as far as I could tell. It does look like the majority of apts are on the east side, but that is close to the College, etc.

I really liked the city as did my wife.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
Hi! I have lved in Murfreesboro for 8 years now and Tennessee for 13 years. I moved here from NJ. I have to say that I LOVE Murfreesboro. It is my home and I would not leave here for anything. It is growing leaps and bounds and at this point, I see Murfreesboro as being pretty self-sufficient without the need to travel to Nashville unless you work there or want to see something at the Somet Center, TPAC, Opry house etc...

There are some areas I personally would avoid but they are just scattered pockets here and there. Generally, I would avoid the area directly around Middle Tennessee Stae University. I live in the western part of town and love it. The southwestern part of town is very nice as is the Blackman Community. The Blackman Schools have a great reputation, but I feel that all the schools in Murfreesboro are excellent. My daughter is attending a Murfreesboro City School and she loves it and we do too.

There is a lot to discover in Murfreesboro and you have lots of choices. You can live closer to everything or if you prefer, live someplace on the outskirts. It all depends on your personal preference. I like the convenience of being closer.

Murfreesboro is extremely family friendly. The Murfreesboro Recreation Dept. has excellent programs for the entire family and if you enjoy camping, you can go camping right here in Barfield Crescent Park. We have excellent parks and I pride our city on being extremely clean as well.

I wish I had another website that better depicted Murfreesboro, but I don't. I do encourage you to visit even more if possible and hook up with a realtor who can educate you even more. I highly recommend my realtor, so if you are interested let me know and I can provide you with info. on contacting her.

I wish you the best of luck and please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to whether it be in this forum or by sending me a Direct Message.

Steve

Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 AM

223 posts, read 582,880 times
Gavin
I selected Murfreesboro as a place to retire to and built a new home in Rachel's Place off of Barfield Crescent Road about a mile outside the city limits. We thought that Murfreesboro had a lot to offer - stores, restaurants, good medical, proximity to Nashville airport and what Nashville has to offer. Like any city there are good area's and some not so good. When we came down to look around our real estate agents showed us a lot of great area's. Almost too hard to pick which one to focus on. I'd be glad to recommend my realtor as well. But I do strongly suggest that when you come down to look around that you contact a realtor.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 AM

215 posts, read 712,649 times
Steve_TN, I currently live in Nashville, but might be looking into moving out to West Smyrna/West Murfreesboro. What is the best route to take during normal rush hour to get to downtown Franklin? I've been looking at houses for rent in the Blackman area.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storey13 View Post
Steve_TN, I currently live in Nashville, but might be looking into moving out to West Smyrna/West Murfreesboro. What is the best route to take during normal rush hour to get to downtown Franklin? I've been looking at houses for rent in the Blackman area.
The best route to take is 840 West to the exit for Lewisburg. Then pick up 96 West and take it all the way out to Franklin. My wife used to work in Green Hills, but her company moved to Franklin, so this is the route she takes daily now and she makes it from Franklin to Murfreesboro in about 40 minutes during rush hour. Blackman is a very nice area!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123 View Post
Gavin
I selected Murfreesboro as a place to retire to and built a new home in Rachel's Place off of Barfield Crescent Road about a mile outside the city limits. We thought that Murfreesboro had a lot to offer - stores, restaurants, good medical, proximity to Nashville airport and what Nashville has to offer. Like any city there are good area's and some not so good. When we came down to look around our real estate agents showed us a lot of great area's. Almost too hard to pick which one to focus on. I'd be glad to recommend my realtor as well. But I do strongly suggest that when you come down to look around that you contact a realtor.
Dave - Are you in S.W. Murfreesboro? I never know exactly what to call your part of town when recommending areas to people who are unfamiliar with Murfreesboro.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,246 times
Steve, I think we are just considered South Murfreesboro. That's how Murfreesboro is divided up in Realtracs. Barfield Crescent depending on how far off of it you are would be S.W Murfreesboro I guess.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 34,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Hi! I have lved in Murfreesboro for 8 years now and Tennessee for 13 years. I moved here from NJ. I have to say that I LOVE Murfreesboro. It is my home and I would not leave here for anything. It is growing leaps and bounds and at this point, I see Murfreesboro as being pretty self-sufficient without the need to travel to Nashville unless you work there or want to see something at the Somet Center, TPAC, Opry house etc...

There are some areas I personally would avoid but they are just scattered pockets here and there. Generally, I would avoid the area directly around Middle Tennessee Stae University. I live in the western part of town and love it. The southwestern part of town is very nice as is the Blackman Community. The Blackman Schools have a great reputation, but I feel that all the schools in Murfreesboro are excellent. My daughter is attending a Murfreesboro City School and she loves it and we do too.

There is a lot to discover in Murfreesboro and you have lots of choices. You can live closer to everything or if you prefer, live someplace on the outskirts. It all depends on your personal preference. I like the convenience of being closer.

Murfreesboro is extremely family friendly. The Murfreesboro Recreation Dept. has excellent programs for the entire family and if you enjoy camping, you can go camping right here in Barfield Crescent Park. We have excellent parks and I pride our city on being extremely clean as well.

I wish I had another website that better depicted Murfreesboro, but I don't. I do encourage you to visit even more if possible and hook up with a realtor who can educate you even more. I highly recommend my realtor, so if you are interested let me know and I can provide you with info. on contacting her.

I wish you the best of luck and please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to whether it be in this forum or by sending me a Direct Message.

Steve
Awsome advice and information Steve, and all of the other replies. It really does sound like Murfreesboro is exactly the kind of place we've been searching for and with my employer's office being right there its alomost too good to be true. We are going to be visiting town after the new year, and will probably make a couple of further trips just to make sure its the right place for us. Steve if its ok, I'll take you up on some direct messages to answer a few other questions I may have but again thanks to all of you for your replies

I'm genuinly excited about the prospect of our move to Murfreesboro!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville