Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 PM

450 posts, read 1,506,509 times

Advertisements

OK ya'll (and anyone who reads this) we are looking for some authentic San Francisco Sour Dough Bread. (Not the Sliced Type that's sold in stores) Is there anywhere (close to Portland) that has it? I doubt it but my wife is making me ask.

She also would like to know if anyone has a Amish bread starter that you would be willing to share.

I can't wait until we go visit California and she craves "REAL BBQ" and I know she (or me) will find it in Calif....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:43 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,651,436 times
I don't know about Portland, but Provence in Hillsboro Village (Nashville) is pretty good.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:38 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,965,894 times
I can understand the San Francisco Sour Dough issue, when I visited S.F. they had the best Sour Dough bread. I can't understand the bbq thing though. This is the south. The best bbq has to be right here. I love Jim and Nicks. Have you ever tried that restaurant?

Old 10-26-2008, 06:08 AM

I agree 100% about the best BBQ being here.. We are just wondering if the Sour Dough is around.

I KNOW Southern will BBQ will not be found in Calif. (unless someone brings it there) LoL

Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,254,730 times
My mother makes a type of sour dough bread. She used to make and sell it, but now she's mostly makes it for Christmas presents and for friends. Maybe you could find someone like her who bakes bread in their home. You might check with the closest gourmet cooking store (Rivergate?) and see if they know of anyone like that.

I have heard a theory that SF sour dough bread just can't be made outside of San Francisco. The theory is something like the unique climate conditions there or whatever. I don't know whether I believe it or not.

You could make your own Amish bread starter if you have a little time and patience. It takes ten or twelve days to do it. I can get you the recipe if you'd like.

Last edited by alleycat; 10-26-2008 at 08:29 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 08:35 AM

Alleycat- I've heard the same thing. I never fully appreciated it until I left. There's nothing like fresh crab, avocado, sourdough and a Sonoma Valley chardonnay!

That, and as I always lament, DIM SUM!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,288,527 times
I found out the Povence Bakery & Cafe makes it's own Rustic Sourdough Bread. It's in Nashville. Here's the website: Provence Breads & Cafe

Old 10-26-2008, 01:00 PM

Yep, thats the same one I mentioned. It's GOOD.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:46 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,965,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
My mother makes a type of sour dough bread. She used to make and sell it, but now she's mostly makes it for Christmas presents and for friends. Maybe you could find someone like her who bakes bread in their home. You might check with the closest gourmet cooking store (Rivergate?) and see if they know of anyone like that.

I have heard a theory that SF sour dough bread just can't be made outside of San Francisco. The theory is something like the unique climate conditions there or whatever. I don't know whether I believe it or not.

You could make your own Amish bread starter if you have a little time and patience. It takes ten or twelve days to do it. I can get you the recipe if you'd like.
Climatic conditions do effect baking. I notice when I bake here it is not the same as in FL. There is not enough humidity to get really nice bread. Even with steam I don't get the shine and crackle crust I want. The dough is always dry and I need to add more water depending on the days weather. We had a few really humid days this summer and I felt the difference in the dough rightaway. As for sour dough, good sour takes days to grow. You're right on that alleycat. It smells horrible too, but makes the best bread.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:06 PM

Waaaaaaaa Hooooo thanks now I have to get my wife to read everything ya'll typed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville