Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:09 PM

13 posts, read 52,758 times

Advertisements

So my fiancee and I had our first movie experience in Murfreesboro and it was horrible. Apparently the theater we went to is also the local high school hang out. During the movie, there was loud non-stop talking, cell phones ringing through the whole thing, basically kids treating it like it was their living room. I know, I sound like a crotchety old lady, but strangely enough I never ran into this in Chicago and I lived there 14 years. Does anyone know of in Nashville or the surronding area a first run theater that isn't the local weekend hangout? In Chicago, our favorite theater was the Evanston Cinema Arts, something similar to that would be excellent. We did find the art theater in the Vanderbilt area, but you know we'd like to see some hollywood studio flicks every now and then.
thanks for any feedback
Erika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
I'm sorry you experienced this is Murfreesboro. I have had similar experiences in Nashville theaters too. When I was in high school, the theater was a common hangout, but we knew how to behave and be respectful. Nowadays I just don't know.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:30 PM

290 posts, read 1,054,137 times
My wife and I love the Regal Providence 14 Theatres in Mt. Juliet. We see matinees only, so the crowd may be different at later showings.

I have never heard any cell phones go off in the theatre and have see 10-15 movies there. The level of the cell phone signal is very low in the theatre, which makes me wonder if they installed mesh screens in the building walls to block out cell phone signals.

The place I work for has construction in the outer walls to protect us from our many satellite uplink dishes which are close to the building. We used to have a 100,000 watt FM station transmit off our tower, and never had any problems of interference inside the building.

The worst time I had in the theatre involved more police action in the actual theatre itself, than the movie on the screen. And, the movie was "Die Hard" with Bruce Willis. That was at the old AMC Fountain Square Theatres, which I loved when they first opened, but went down hill a few years later.

We live in Davidson County and Opry Mills Theatres are closer, but we like Providence much better. They are not very old.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,776 times
We usually go the one in Green Hills. We haven't had a problem there. As far as indie flicks, you should check out The Bellcourt.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Sounds like she already found the Belcourt. We love that place too!

As for quieter audiences, we've never had a problem in the Cool Springs (Carmike) or Green Hills (Regal) theaters.

For what it's worth, my kids and their teen friends wouldn't put up with that either. I'm not sure it's an indicator of rude kids overall as much as a bad night. At least that's what I hope.....

Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
I assume you are talking about the one on Cason Lane. We go as well, but don't run into that problem because we always see matinees.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:07 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Friday and Saturday evenings are typically over-run with teens in many theatres. The quiet nights are often Sunday night and Monday night. Matinees can be a toss-up, since rug-rats can take over.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Friday and Saturday evenings are typically over-run with teens in many theatres. The quiet nights are often Sunday night and Monday night. Matinees can be a toss-up, since rug-rats can take over.
You are right about that. We went to see a Matinee of Spy Kids 3 (in 3D) at the Carmike Thoroughbred Theatres in Cool Springs (which is another very nice theatre). A father and his son sat behind us, and I knew we were in for trouble when I saw his kid carrying enough food to feed everyone in the whole theatre.

About half way through the show, the kid got sick. Don't know if it was the ton of food he ate, or the 3D which, even made me a little dizzy.

But, that is another theatre we really never had trouble with cell phones or rude patrons in during movies.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:39 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
You aren't kidding! Kind of ruined the whole movie experience

Last edited by BuzzCam; 10-25-2008 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Mis-spelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville