Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 AM

140 posts, read 618,859 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about crime levels in the 12 South area? I understand it's an "up-and-coming" area, but haven't heard much in the way of crime stats. There are several houses in that general neighborhood that we like.

Someone already told me there are some large projects near 12 South between Wedgewood and Edgehill, but that doesn't really answer the question. (Or maybe it does?)

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:16 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
Oh, I'm sure the residents of the projects are perfectly harmless...why not head on over there and meet the neighbors...bring some cookies or something.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 PM

187 posts, read 623,252 times
for clarification purposes...I think it was Construction Projects...not The Projects as in low income housing. Like any other area that is going through an economic conversion, you may get some crime but that area has really changed so much in the past 10 years. Lots of great shops and restaurants with an active night life.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
for clarification purposes...I think it was Construction Projects...not The Projects as in low income housing.
Um, no--that's not what I was told. But I don't personally know the area well. Are there not government projects there?

But, truthfully, that's somewhat beside the point. I'm wondering about general crime level in the neighborhood. Is it considered more or less of a "safe" area?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 PM

187 posts, read 623,252 times
ummm....NO...that is like asking if there are projects in East Nashville. Somewhere on 12th Avenue there may be projects but Not in 12th South neighborhood.

12South Neighborhood Association

Old 09-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
ummm....NO...that is like asking if there are projects in East Nashville. Somewhere on 12th Avenue there may be projects but Not in 12th South neighborhood.

12South Neighborhood Association
Okay, so from your link, the 12South "Neighborhood" extends from Wedgewood to Gale LN. My orginal post referred to projects "near 12 South between Wedgewood and Edgehill", so I guess that wouldn't be the official 12 South "Neighborhood" (although it borders it). I believe the project I'm refering to is "EdgeHill Homes", the office of which is located at 1277 12th Avenue South. Nashville.gov - Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency - Housing - Families (http://www.nashville.gov/mdha/families.htm#edgehill - broken link).

So, with that diversion aside, does anyone know anything about the perceived safety and crime levels in the 12 South "neighborhood"? I'm using a small "n" because I'd be interested in hearing about the areas both North and South of Wedgewood (which is how realtors seem to talk about the area). I'm wondering how it compares to other city neighborhoods like East Nashville, Sylvan Park (including up towards Charlotte), etc. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Anyone?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 PM

10 posts, read 64,546 times
I live in the Edgehill neighborhood (North of Wedgewood). We've had minor thefts from our yard, but nothing too bad. My advice to you is to check crime maps. The Tennessean has some on-line. I've seen some compiled by the neighborhood resource center. My first impression of the data is that crime drops off the farther away you get from Edgehill homes. If you walk around the area, you'll likely get the same feeling.

In general, Edgehill homes is not as bad as many other public housing developments in other cities. (I've lived in Boston, New York, New Haven.) Nonetheless, if crime is a major concern, I would stick to the Southern side of Wedgewood. However, you'll pay ~50% more for housing. I thought it was worthwhile to purchase in Edgehill. The neighborhood is getting better, and it only takes 8 minutes to walk to Vanderbilt. However, it is a personal choice, and my guess is that crime will always be centered around the public housing.

Good luck.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:07 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
In looking at real estate, you'll see Edgehill separated from 12 South as different areas, although they are next to each other. Edgehill does have government housing, but it also has nice homes as well.

To make the call about safety, here's a link to a crime map you can use to investigate any Nashville area. Metro Nashville Interactive Crime Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville