Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 16,510 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

My fiancee and I moved here from California in July 2011 and have been renting in Antioch (Near the 24 and bell road on the other side from Hickory Hallow Mall). We have found employment and are now looking for a place to call our own. We have been looking at flip properties since they seem to have all the things we want in a home and East Nashville looks like an up and coming trendy area, specially near Five Points.

So my question is this, we are looking at this home 730 N 5th St, Nashville, TN 37207 MLS# 1321273 - Zillow.

We love the house but my fiancee is concerned with the neighborhood and thinks it might be too rough. Would it be safe for her to walk my dog at night or her brother to walk to the bus stop?

So I am looking for people to respond with personal or first hand experience with this area and give us the low down.

More info:
1. We own a dog, German Sheppard-Husky Mix (50 pounds)
2. Would have a 6 foot privacy fence in the backyard
3. Would have a detached garage for our cars.
4 Would have security system and motion detection lighting install as well.
5. We don't buy, sell drugs or engage in criminal activity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,321,345 times
Get at least 1 gun, mace spray and know some basic self defense. Always be on alert when you're out. Crime has been declining in East Nashville from what I understand. Half of crime is drug-related in one fashion or another.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:39 PM

569 posts, read 1,435,791 times
I live on Russell Street in Edgefield. Cleveland Park is fine, but not quite to point of gentrification as say the 5 Points area. Would I be scared to live in Cleveland Park, probably not. Would I walk my dog at night, probably not. I don't really walk around my own neighborhood at night...if I do I'm very aware of my surroundings. There is a HUGE range of socioeconomic backgrounds in the area and there is always the possibility of criminals lurking around. I've never had a problem in 3.5 years, but I also fully understand that I live in an urban environment and all things...good and bad...that go along with that.

I know there are people on here that have more experience with Cleveland Park...so hopefully they will be able to give you more specific info. Good Luck with your house search.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,159,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Get at least 1 gun, mace spray and know some basic self defense
If you truly want to be safe in East Nashville, I would take it a step farther and recommend only walking around with a crossbow and maybe a belt where each loop holds a live grenade. It never hurts to build a substantial moat (crocodile-filled) around your home and convert all of your doors and windows into drawbridges protected with poison arrows.

Just one man's opinion.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,789,872 times
I'd look in Inglewood.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 AM

86 posts, read 212,130 times
That area has gotten a lot better in the last couple years. It still can be a bit rough at times, but it is gentrifying quite nicely. A lot of houses are being renovated/rebuilt and property values are rising. I lived not too far north of there when I first moved to Nashville, and it was not great, but okay. It's definitely improved since. I still work for Papa John's in that area, and that sector gets more attractive as time goes on. I still have memories of seeing a drug deal in person (on Hart Ave, across Ellington Parkway) but that was almost a year and a half ago now.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 AM

569 posts, read 1,435,791 times
I think people get a little carried away about the danger of East Nashville. Like I said, I've lived here for 3.5 years and haven't had a problem. I live blocks away from the Cayce Homes. I've lived in Nashville a long time and have lived in all different areas. There is NO other community as tight nit as this area in Nashville. I love living here. I just don't want people to have blinders on. Crime happens everywhere....just know your surroundings.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the constructive responses. I think my fiancee and I will seriously look into this property now. If anyone else has more input, please feel free to share!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM

933 posts, read 2,757,749 times
Join East Nashville Google groups. I'm sure they'll be someone(s) who can comment more specifically on the exact street address. Good luck with your search!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM

I tried join the East Nashville Google Group and post a similar topic there but the mods aren't approving my post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: