Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:23 PM

37 posts, read 173,690 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Murfreesboro is being built up pretty quick - leading to overcrowded schools, etc. - which is a major concern (not to mention all the college kids), although I do like the location and have heard many positive things about it, I'm still concerned.

Does Lebanon have the same problem? Can anyone tell me what Lebanon is like? I am definately interested in this area!

Oh, and I realize that I'm being a "total" pain but I think Mt. Juliet really looks like the "family friendly" town I've been searching for - only I've heard it's a little too much of a REAL Bible Belt town (20 times above average - even for TN) filled with big time Bible Belt thinking. Basically, will they tell you that you're going to hell if you have a glass of wine on a Friday night? Would if you can't make it to chuch one Sunday? Will you be disbarred - (ha) - basically, I'm just wondering if it's an extremely judgemental type of mentality......is this true - I don't mean to sound so cruel - this is just what I've been reading - or is it just some angry people writing this? Is there anyone out there actually from Mt Juliet that can clarify this (hopefully) misconception!

I'm sorry to burden you with so many questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM

225 posts, read 1,143,775 times
Mt. Juliet and Lebanon are both in Wilson County. However, if you look at the school report data you will find some major differences in the schools. Lebanon High has been on the target list where as Mt. Juliet High has consistently ranked very high. Mt. Juliet has some excellent schools from elementary through to the high school level. Lebanon is more of an industrial feeling town to me, whereas Mt. Juliet is a very nice residential community. I don't think you will feel uncomfortable living in Mt. Juliet because you have a drink! Mt. Juliet is a large and growing community with a lot of new people moving in daily. You can find spacious lot sizes in Mt. Juliet and you can find tiny lot sizes in Mt. Juliet.

That being said, I currently live in Murfreesboro and think it is a wonderful place to live. Yes, it is growing by leaps and bounds but the city has done an excellent job in steering the new growth toward a more "high end" and sleek look. They are dealing with the old existing growth that may be slow to clean up. You will also find lots of "cookie cutter" type homes here on small lots, just as you will find this throughout a lot of Middle TN. However, you will also find some gorgeous custom built homes, equestrian farms, and million dollar estates. Our schools rank very well and are not on the target list. Some high schools are more requested or "favored" than others but in general almost all of our schools will perform well. The city is also very good at building new schools and have been adding approximately two brand new schools per year to keep up with growth. The one thing that has always impressed me about Murfreesboro verses say Nashville Davidson County Schools is that you will not see many portables here at the schools. There are some but very few. In metro it seemed like adding portables to the school campus was how they dealt with growth. Before you rule our Murfreesboro, I think you need to at least visit and do some reserach on the schools.

Other areas to consider would be Williamson County. Home prices are going to be higher here but most schools are good to excellent. Once again, check each individual school and don't accept that ALL Williamson County schools are awesome. Most people make the statement that "Williamson County Schools" are the best in the state without reseraching each school. Most are exremely good ~ but not all.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:58 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
I live in Lebanon, have lived here for two and a half years. Lebanon is behind on recruiting new businesses and developing housing and subdivisions. It still has the good ol boy mentality. If someone here can't get it for you, you probably don't need it. Getting used to that is a hurdle. We see the development coming to mount juliet, two major malls,businesses, no city taxes on yearly house taxes is just a start. They seem to pass around the good times as well as money. Here in lebanon, we just wait for the next tax for nothing.
If you plan to build or add something onto the land get the facts first. And if you can get it in writing. You will need it later. And make sure if you buy land it dosn't have future plans by the county or state for roads through it, zoning changes, or some such nonsense.
On the up side the people are pretty good to get along with, but alittle clannish.
And yes I am negative. I didn't get stuff in writing, took the people at face value, thought the town wanted a new family here.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 AM

5 posts, read 30,545 times
Default New Resident

Where would you suggest a new resident (young, single guy) look for an apartment in Lebanon?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 59,644 times
I'm a transplant to Mt Juliet- almost 3 years now. We have preschool kids, so what I know about schools is secondhand from other parents.

Mt Juliet is more developed with stores, mall, etc than Lebanon. People are pretty nice in both areas, but there are a lot of long-time residents in both places- a lot of "best friends since grade school" and extended families, which doesn't leave a lot of room for new friends. It is pretty Bible Belt, but the interpretation of that varies. Most people we've met will either have a beer with us, or at least sit and sip tea while we have a drink once in a while. For the most part, people aren't too judgemental about that. Of course probably depends on what church you end up at (you know the difference between Catholics and Baptists? Catholics say hi to eachother at the liquor store =)

There is a lot of religious influence in the public schools and some parents I've talked to are very upset that they even teach anything about evolution. I think all the preschools are run by churches, except the Montessori.

I will say I laughed when I moved here from DC, where the first question is always "Who do you work for?" to Mt Juliet, where the first question is "What church do you go to?"

Otherwise, if you're ok with driving everywhere and mostly chain restaurants and stores, Mt Juliet is a nice affordable place to live.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,334 times
I also live in Mt. Juliet. I guess the pervasiveness of religious influence is in the eye of the beholder. I've lived here 6.5 years and I've been asked maybe three times where I go to church, and only once did it feel forced into the conversation. Then again, I'm a guy and we're less chatty. Knowing what I know about other areas around Nashville, I can't imagine someone who would be okay with Franklin or Hendersonville would find Mt. Juliet too in-your-face about religion.

As for the rest of it, I prefer Mt. Juliet to Lebanon for its closer proximity to Nashville and better schools. The post above by wellkids summarizes the school situation very well. The perception is that you want to be in the zones that feed kids to Mt. Juliet and Wilson Central, and avoid the Lebanon zone. Lebanon has its own K-8 system, to what purpose I've yet to figure out.

Now, I'll say this -- west Wilson County is having, and will have, its own share of growth issues, so if your primary concern with Murfreesboro is dealing with road construction and possible school crowding issues, no guarantees here either.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:52 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,203 times
Personally, having seen a good deal of Mt. Juliet and Lebanon, I much prefer living in Murfreesboro versus either of these places. I have lived in Murfreesboro for 8 years and never once had a problem with any college students.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
Now, I'll say this -- west Wilson County is having, and will have, its own share of growth issues, so if your primary concern with Murfreesboro is dealing with road construction and possible school crowding issues, no guarantees here either.
Great point, ExIslander. MtJ has really bungled the Mt Juliet Road project in relation to the Providence development. There's no reason they shouldn't have had the road widened and ready to go when the shopping center opened. I hope the powers learned from that type of short-sightedness.

I really like MtJ. I've only been asked about my church affiliation once, and that was my new next-door neighbor who was trying to find a church. MtJ hasn't had liquor-by-the-drink very long (maybe 6 years?) and I can't think of a bar other than those in a restaurant. And there aren't any liquor or wine stores in MtJ, which is bound to change soon.

All in all, I don't think MtJ is zealously religious. I know plenty of people who don't go to church, and even more who have a glass of wine or a beer at dinner in public. I really don't think it's much of an issue.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:47 AM

286 posts, read 804,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Great point, ExIslander. MtJ has really bungled the Mt Juliet Road project in relation to the Providence development. There's no reason they shouldn't have had the road widened and ready to go when the shopping center opened. I hope the powers learned from that type of short-sightedness.

I really like MtJ. I've only been asked about my church affiliation once, and that was my new next-door neighbor who was trying to find a church. MtJ hasn't had liquor-by-the-drink very long (maybe 6 years?) and I can't think of a bar other than those in a restaurant. And there aren't any liquor or wine stores in MtJ, which is bound to change soon.

All in all, I don't think MtJ is zealously religious. I know plenty of people who don't go to church, and even more who have a glass of wine or a beer at dinner in public. I really don't think it's much of an issue.
Wait what? No liquor stores? no bars? I think I'm gonna cry...

Old 08-14-2008, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 59,644 times
There are liquor stores at hwy 40 and 109 (exit 232) and in Hermitage, both about 20 minutes from the main part of Mt Juliet. You can buy beer at grocery stores, but no wine or liquor. I think there is one "sports bar" behind Cracker Barrel at exit 226, but most bars are in restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville