Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 08:17 AM

450 posts, read 1,505,673 times

Advertisements

Is absentee ballot voting allowed here in Tennessee? We find it much easier and calming to vote in the our own home and have done that for years. Is it allowed here in Tennessee. We live in Sumner County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,553,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Is absentee ballot voting allowed here in Tennessee? We find it much easier and calming to vote in the our own home and have done that for years. Is it allowed here in Tennessee. We live in Sumner County.
It is allowed here but only in certain circumstances ie military, etc. It is intended for those that are not in the state during the voting time; not because someone doesn't want to go to a polling site, etc.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,643,786 times
Quote:
That is abuse of what absentee voting is really for. Woudn't it be convenient for all of us to have that luxury? Absentee ballot voting is for the reasons stated in the answer posted above mine. I am somewhat angered and disgusted by people who take advantage of the system out of pure laziness. I know I will probably get in trouble for saying what I said, but I had to say it.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 08-24-2008 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-24-2008, 03:29 PM

427 posts, read 1,309,717 times
I know this doesn't address the original poster's question, but

I LOVE going to the polling place to vote. I feel more like an American then than at any other time. I love standing in line with fellow citizens who care enough to vote, blue collar and white collar, new voters and old timers, Republicans, Democrats, and every other political party. And then there are all the poll workers who volunteer their time to make sure we all get to cast our ballots.

After the rancor of the campaigns, for one day we're all together, all of us exercising the most basic American right.

I can't imagine giving up that experience.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 PM

222 posts, read 640,314 times
There are quite a few situations where people are allowed to absentee vote. Here's a website with the list:
Tennessee Department of State: Division of Elections: By Mail Voting

If none of those apply to you, early voting is another option that makes it much easier. If you look up the election commission of your county, they should be able to tell you the early voting dates.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post

I LOVE going to the polling place to vote. I feel more like an American then than at any other time. I love standing in line with fellow citizens who care enough to vote, blue collar and white collar, new voters and old timers, Republicans, Democrats, and every other political party. And then there are all the poll workers who volunteer their time to make sure we all get to cast our ballots.

After the rancor of the campaigns, for one day we're all together, all of us exercising the most basic American right.

That is such an EXCELLENT viewpoint. So PATRIOTIC!! I love it!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 AM

450 posts, read 1,505,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
That is abuse of what absentee voting is really for. Woudn't it be convenient for all of us to have that luxury? Absentee ballot voting is for the reasons stated in the answer posted above mine. I am somewhat angered and disgusted by people who take advantage of the system out of pure laziness. I know I will probably get in trouble for saying what I said, but I had to say it.
My reason for asking is my daughter is Handicapped and has a hard time getting around and making decisions on a timely matter.

Last edited by LeeB; 08-25-2008 at 06:55 AM..

Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,286,362 times
If you go to the website, here is what #3 says:

"The voter’s licensed physician has filed a statement with the county election commission stating that, in the physician's judgment, the voter is medically unable to vote in person. The statement must be filed not less than five (5) days before the election and signed under the penalty of perjury"

This may be what you need for your daughter, but I would think you and your wife would still have to vote in person.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
My reason for asking is my daughter is Handicapped and has a hard time getting around and making decisions on a timely matter.
Lee - I am sorry for what I said. Your original post did not state that there was a disability involved, so I did not know. I would call the election commission. Absentee ballot voting is allowed in every state I would assume.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 AM

764 posts, read 2,552,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post

ITA with every word. My husband and I always take our young children with us when we go to the polls to explain the process and reinforce the importance and responsibility of exercising one's right to vote. He does a better job at it that I do 'cause I always choke up like a big old goober.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville