Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 01:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Metro Planning commission approved a new zoning code Thursday night that allows chickens and other poultry in some Nashville yards, even in urban areas.

Until Thursday, chickens were only allowed in rural areas of Davidson County.

Chickens and Poultry Allowed In Nashville - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:08 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Metro Planning commission approved a new zoning code Thursday night that allows chickens and other poultry in some Nashville yards, even in urban areas.

Until Thursday, chickens were only allowed in rural areas of Davidson County.

Chickens and Poultry Allowed In Nashville - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee -
If I hear a rooster crowing at the break of dawn in my neighborhood, everyone is invited over for fried chicken later that evening.

Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,077 times
I had an Easter chicken (blue) when I was real young. He grew up. We chopped off his head. He ran headless around the yard. Coolest thing I'd ever seen. I chased him. Mom fried him. Then we ate him. Ol' Red wasn't bad. So, yank, lemme know when's dinner.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
this is great. I wish I could keep chickens [not roosters] but it is against the HOA rules

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
I had an Easter chicken (blue) when I was real young. He grew up. We chopped off his head. He ran headless around the yard. Coolest thing I'd ever seen. I chased him. Mom fried him. Then we ate him. Ol' Red wasn't bad. So, yank, lemme know when's dinner.
That reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid. Those colored chicks and ducklings used to be quite common at Easter. People would buy them on a whim and then soon learn that a house really isn't a good place to raise a chicken. Since we lived out in the country, they would bring them out to our house when they got tired of them.

One year someone brought us some little ducklings (either two or three of the things). They were as cute as could be. Few thing are cuter than little duckling waddling around. We even made a little pool for them to play in. The trouble is, little duckling don't stay little ducklings. They grow up to be ducks, and not quite as cute. These grew up and also developed a very bad habit . . . going into my mother's vegetable garden and pecking everything in sight. My mother is "old school". Growing vegetables wasn't just a hobby; she would can and freeze the stuff she grew.

Anyway, these duck kept getting into her garden. One day we came home and the ducks were gone.

"Where's the ducks, mom?"

"They probably flew south."

"Oh."

Yeah, they flew south all right. I suspect they would have had to do it without heads.

Last edited by alleycat; 08-28-2009 at 10:05 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
That reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid. Those colored chicks and ducklings used to be quite common at Easter. People would buy them on a whim and then soon learn that a house really isn't a good place to raise a chicken. Since we lived out in the country, they would bring them out to our house when they got tired of them.

One year someone brought us some little ducklings (either two or three of the things). They were as cute as could be. Few thing are cuter than little duckling waddling around. We even made a little pool for them to play in. The trouble is, little duckling don't stay little ducklings. They grow up to be ducks, and not quite as cute. These grew up and also developed a very bad habit . . . going into my mother's vegetable garden and pecking everything in sight. My mother is "old school". Growing vegetables wasn't just a hobby; she would can and freeze the stuff she grew.

Anyway, these duck kept getting into her garden. One day we came home and the ducks were gone.

"Where's the ducks, mom?"

"They probably flew south."

"Oh."

Yeah, they flew south all right. I suspect they would have had to do without heads.

Maybe they flew south out of her hand, and into the frying pan. I remember dad tellin' me after school one day when I came back in from feeding that 'ole Wilber' wasn't missing ... he was in the freezer

Old 08-28-2009, 11:30 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
No, I don't think we had roast duck.

But we had almost everything else at some point. I remember wanting to try squirrel. So, I shot a squirrel and brought it back and my dad helped me skin it and then my mother cooked it. Uh, unless I'm really hungry, I don't plan on cleaning another squirrel in my lifetime. It's not exactly a fun task.

Growing up in the country, I have more than my share of farm and woodlands stories, including such exciting adventures as going to the slaughterhouse and cutting the testicles off of little piggies. And yes, they certainly went, "wee, wee, wee" all the way home after that. If someone needs to know how to wring a chicken's neck, just let me know.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 AM

83 posts, read 374,908 times
No Chicken‘s in Nashville

Old 09-03-2009, 04:34 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Didn't figure it would happen, or, if it did, I thought it wouldn't last.

Those things were banned in the first place for a reason...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville