Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM

21 posts, read 65,181 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Murfreesboro, TN in a bit under two weeks. I am going to need to register my car there, but my registration is expired in my current state. Is this going to cause me problems there? I could still get it registered here if need be, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 PM

153 posts, read 689,436 times
I imagine you should be fine. We just transferred our VA registration to TN last week, and our VA tags expired in June. You just need to make sure you don't get a ticket before then.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM

250 posts, read 1,014,518 times
You could always call and find out: (615) 898-7800‎

Old 08-02-2008, 01:52 PM

162 posts, read 604,509 times
I've had quite a time transferring my MI registration to TN because it is a leased vehicle. So the level of difficulty will all just depend...As they both said...

1. If you do wait, just hope you don't get pulled over
2. Go on the county clerk website to get detailed info of what you need for vehicle registration and/ or call the number.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:43 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,743 times
from what I've been able to gather, you have 30 days after you move to change everything over. If there is a loan on the vehicle, TN DNV will send a form to your bank requesting the original title. When DMV receives the title, they notify you to come in and sign papers. They then send the new TN title to your bank. I believe as long as you get that ball rolling within 30 days, you're OK if you get pulled over. Just show the cop the paperwork where you have applied for a new title. The bank tells me that it can take 60 days for the whole process to play out. I'm just going to pay off the vehicle that has a loan on it and avoid the whole thing.

If there is no loan or lease, you just hand them your out of state title and registration, and they issue new TN title and registration. I've been told that as long as you present an out of state registration proving that you didn't just hop over the border to buy it, there is no tax.

We need to deal with all of this next week.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:43 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,627,266 times
OKay, I am just sort of piggybacking here on this topic. I have been renewing my TN driver's license online since 2000. It expires this month so I went online to renew it. The website tells me that I can no longer renew online and that I have to go to the DMV and get and pay for a brand new license with a new picture. I never knew this. Just thought I'd share it.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:40 PM

162 posts, read 604,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
from what I've been able to gather, you have 30 days after you move to change everything over. If there is a loan on the vehicle, TN DNV will send a form to your bank requesting the original title. When DMV receives the title, they notify you to come in and sign papers. They then send the new TN title to your bank. I believe as long as you get that ball rolling within 30 days, you're OK if you get pulled over. Just show the cop the paperwork where you have applied for a new title. The bank tells me that it can take 60 days for the whole process to play out. I'm just going to pay off the vehicle that has a loan on it and avoid the whole thing.

If there is no loan or lease, you just hand them your out of state title and registration, and they issue new TN title and registration. I've been told that as long as you present an out of state registration proving that you didn't just hop over the border to buy it, there is no tax.

We need to deal with all of this next week.
Yeah...it seems a lot simpler if you don't have a lease. I need a power of attorney and the whole nine. Hopefully, I'll have everything transferred by the end of the week.

Good luck with your move to TN

Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM

30 posts, read 72,690 times
Default Registration

Go to Tennessee.gov to get answers for the registration dilemma. This is a great website for just about anything to do with Tennessee. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville