Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 AM

32 posts, read 45,381 times

Advertisements

Hi we finally made our move to Tennessee, no longer frozen in Canada!

Can someone tell me where I would register my vehicle if we live in Williamson County as well as get my current Canadian lisence transferred over to a Tennessee lisence.

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:20 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,273,321 times
Register your vehicle at the Williamson County clerk's office.

http://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/index.aspx?NID=166

To get info on driver licensing, go here:

New Residents

Do yourself a favor and go to one of the driver license centers in a small, rural town like Lawrenceburg to avoid the 3-hour + wait. You don't have to get your driver license on your home county.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:23 AM

3,124 posts, read 3,408,544 times
Williamson County, TN - Official Site - Motor Vehicles

I don't think we treat new residents from Canada different than from other states

First you get a smog test. Should be a facility near Cool Springs about $10, cash

They should help you find your county clerk to pay $60 tax & get your plates (state/county sticker)

TN Department of Safety does the driver permit. May be easier to find a location in Nashville.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM

98 posts, read 233,450 times
When I moved from BC to LA , I took my sweet time getting a new CA drivers licence , smog test, registration . etc what a pita and $$$ plus huge fine for not having a ca emissions control on my cdn vehicle cost us 1000$ on an 87 doge caravan in1992. There is no hurry, take your time .

Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,465,869 times
Massive difference between Tenn. and Calif.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Default Ford Emission Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbozo13 View Post
When I moved from BC to LA , I took my sweet time getting a new CA drivers licence , smog test, registration . etc what a pita and $$$ plus huge fine for not having a ca emissions control on my cdn vehicle cost us 1000$ on an 87 doge caravan in1992. There is no hurry, take your time .
Hi, before we could cross the border, we had to confirm that our vehicle a 2007 Ford Freestar was equipped. It was stamped at border and has to be provided when registereing the vehicle here, so hopefully I won't have that issue. How do you like California?

Old 09-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Default thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Register your vehicle at the Williamson County clerk's office.

Williamson County, TN - Official Site - Motor Vehicles

To get info on driver licensing, go here:

New Residents

Do yourself a favor and go to one of the driver license centers in a small, rural town like Lawrenceburg to avoid the 3-hour + wait. You don't have to get your driver license on your home county.
Hi thank you for the link and the tip, I have the proper paperwork and will see if I can go to Columbia and have it done there.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,122,253 times
I just have to say that my niece went to take her written drivers test 2 weeks ago and had a very VERY good experience at the Motor Vehicle place on Caruthers in Franklin. It was busy but all the 'agents' were really very nice. There was even a guy sitting next to us who said "Wow, that wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be!". I think we went on a Wednesday morning and were there when they opened. Just feel like I need to give credit where credit is due. Bring a book, a Starbucks coffee, a snack . . . . I never felt we were dealing with incompetence or disrespect. It was simply busy.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:01 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,273,321 times
Yeah, the office on Carothers is great, and the staff were very helpful to us the 4 times we were there last year to get driver licenses for my twins.

Once for permits, once again for the one who failed the written test by 1 point, once again for the one who lost his permit, and once more to get actual licenses.

I know that place like the back of my hand, and I wish someone had told me we didn't HAVE to sit through that every time.

I don't like waiting rooms with large crowds, and I don't like sitting still. But I'm old and grumpy. If OP only has to do it once, it's not TERRIBLE.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:23 PM

98 posts, read 233,450 times
To the folks from canada .We left LA in 94 and never went back to live in canada , we moved to the midwest , raised our kids.Now their gone, and we are moving furthur south to hopefully enjoy winter.Glad your experience at DMV was good.Same as here in KC MO. Enjoy all the benefits of the usa. We now are dual citizens , but are not planning to move back to BC.For us ,it was jobs, lifestyle, education for our kids, and new opportunities to grow in our respective fields.Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville