Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 01:20 PM

13 posts, read 62,148 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be attending Page Middle School this fall, but I am already thinking ahead to high school. Right now, we are zoned for Independence. I have heard others on this forum say they would place Independence at the bottom of the list for Williamson County Schools (personally, I would place Centennial - because of their test scores and gang activity). Page used to have an open door policy (if you were zoned for Page Middle, you had the option of attending Page High), but they are now closed because of the overwhelming requests they had from people zoned for Centennial and Independence wanting their kids to attend Page. What is it that is wrong with Independence?

I have been living in this house in Franklin for 9 years in a great neighborhood. I have a 3600 sf, 5 bd. 3 ba house on a 1 1/2 acre lot with mature trees. I really have no desire to leave; however, if Indpenendence is considered "bad", I feel like I have no choice (either that or pay thousands for a private school .... I attended private school and hated every minute of it).

Even my friend's daughter (who attends private school) said she'd rather go anywhere than Independence. So, could someone please tell me what is wrong with Independence? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,158,550 times
tnmama, I would suggest you talk directly to the people involved with Independence High such as the administration, teachers, leadership in the PTA, and even the school board. You might also want to visit the school while school is in session(as well as other high schools) to get a feel for what it is like compared to other high schools in Williamson County.
I would not put to much weight with anecdotal information you receive on an anonymous website. Most every school has issues of some type that they are dealing with constantly. What seems to be most important is how effectively they are addressing the issues. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:34 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,637,067 times
Regarding your comment about Centennial and gang activity, remember it's all relative. In other words, any actions being take now to prevent a gang problem are more pro-active than reactive. There have been very few incidents. Is there the potential for a problem? Absolutely, but I wouldn't say we have now, nor are we likely to have one given the current steps being taken. A few years ago everyone was talking about Page's gang problems/racial tension. It was a mountain being made of a molehill.

I wish I had firsthand knowledge about IHS, but I don't. I hope your daughter loves the school she eventually attends.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post

I wish I had firsthand knowledge about IHS, but I don't. I hope your daughter loves the school she eventually attends.

Good luck!
Thank you. I have been homeschooling her up until now and she is looking forward to starting school. I want to make sure I am doing what is best for all three of my children.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Default Found out more information

I'm replying to my own message in case someone checks this thread out in the future and is curious. I have found nothing bad about Independence. Even the people who were "against" it, said it was because it was so big and Page is a small high school (though how long that will be remains to be seen). Since Williamson County just purchase land for a new middle school and high school in Spring Hill, that will lower the total population of the school somewhat.

Today as I was getting books for the start of the school year at Page Middle. I chatted with several other moms who actually have children attending Independence. They all LOVE it. RAVED about it. So, all of my apprehension and worries were for nothing.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,637,067 times
Well, isn't THAT good news? I know how crazy-making school uncertainty can be.

Glad you feel more confident about it now. Hope your kids have a great year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville