Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:48 AM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times

Advertisements

We've seen a few houses over near Priest Lake that are in Nashville and look like very nice neighborhoods with average - above average well kept homes but zoned for Antioch High School. We're not afraid of the area as we see people walking dogs and kids playing in the street but how will the fact that it is zoned for Antioch High effect resale? Is the the "thing" with Antioch more the crime issue in the bad parts or the schools? We don't have kids, just thinking about resale down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Don't do it. There are some nice looking neighborhoods out by Priest Lake, but the 37013 zip code is an awful stigma that isn't going away anytime soon. In fact, it's only getting worse.

If you were considering buying because you fell in love with the area and you weren't worried about resale, I would tell you to proceed with caution but go for it. However, from an investment standpoint, Antioch is the absolute WORST option in all of Metro Nashville.

Try Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, or even Old Hickory if the lake appeals to you. You'll be able to find something at least as nice and you won't have to worry as much about losing your shirt OR the hubcaps off your car.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:10 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
The property has a 37217 zip, but zoned for Antioch High School. Houses in the area are comping in the 200's.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:07 PM

I still wouldn't do it. 37217 is a stretch of Murfreesboro Road that is only slightly better than the two cesspools it connects: Antioch and the abominable section of M'boro Rd that runs from Thompson Lane to downtown.

I haven't traveled to every corner of 37217 and it probably contains some decent neighborhoods, but as a whole I just see it as another area that is declining rather than improving. Illegals are running the show on Murfreesboro Road, from just outside of downtown all the way to La Vergne.

Once again, I would strongly advise you take a good look at the areas I mentioned in my last post.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
One of my best friends graduated from Antioch High School. His dad was at one time the manager of the TGI Friday's on Bell Road. They did ok in the school system and Antioch area. I don't live donw there; I will defer further comment to folks that actually live in the Nashville area.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 PM

65 posts, read 214,969 times
37217 extends all along Bell road from Smith springs up almost to elm hill pike...
Lots of nice subdivisions like HarborWoods and Bayview, plenty of nice areas close to the lake in the Trails End area.... Condos in Nashboro Village area.... nothing wrong with that area at all. I am not bragging on re-sale values, but its a nice quiet, stable, safe and very convenient family oriented area to live in, from experience. The lake activities like boating, water parks, greenways, and lake trails and trails for mountain biking and hiking, etc.. great outdoors oriented place to be. It is zoned for Antioch, but as the poster pointed out... there are not kids involved to consider.

If you are a couch potato interested in re-sale, better choices, but if you want a nice value house in an outdoors oriented area, 37217 along Bell Road is nice and convenient. Check out Bayview and Harbor Woods, Woodland Pointe along that stretch...

Old 08-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee123 View Post
37217 extends all along Bell road from Smith springs up almost to elm hill pike...
Lots of nice subdivisions like HarborWoods and Bayview, plenty of nice areas close to the lake in the Trails End area.... Condos in Nashboro Village area.... nothing wrong with that area at all. I am not bragging on re-sale values, but its a nice quiet, stable, safe and very convenient family oriented area to live in, from experience. The lake activities like boating, water parks, greenways, and lake trails and trails for mountain biking and hiking, etc.. great outdoors oriented place to be. It is zoned for Antioch, but as the poster pointed out... there are not kids involved to consider.

If you are a couch potato interested in re-sale, better choices, but if you want a nice value house in an outdoors oriented area, 37217 along Bell Road is nice and convenient. Check out Bayview and Harbor Woods, Woodland Pointe along that stretch...
There are some decent neighborhoods off Bell Road between Smith Springs Road and Elm Hill Pike. That is the area where 37217 meets 37214, and while it isn't the absolute best area in Metro Nashville, you could do a lot worse.

Stay FAR AWAY, however, from Nashboro Village. The condos may look nice, but that neighborhood is BAD NEWS. Most residents there are apartment dwellers, and MANY of them are illegals and displaced Section 8 residents from downtown. There are news reports of carjackings, shootings, and robberies in Nashboro Village on a regular basis.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post

Stay FAR AWAY, however, from Nashboro Village. The condos may look nice, but that neighborhood is BAD NEWS. Most residents there are apartment dwellers, and MANY of them are illegals and displaced Section 8 residents from downtown. There are news reports of carjackings, shootings, and robberies in Nashboro Village on a regular basis.
I live right there. Shop at that Kroger, and while I dont know EVERYONE in there, it is quiet enough to to dispute your untrue statement. Nice people are the only ones I have ever met. Either as "dwellers" or out walking their dogs or coming and going to Kroger. Nothing like you describe - and I doubt you can pull up enough or any substantial proof to back up your words of "of carjackings, shootings, and robberies in Nashboro Village on a regular basis"

The OP is talking about schools anyway...

Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
There are some decent neighborhoods off Bell Road between Smith Springs Road and Elm Hill Pike. That is the area where 37217 meets 37214, and while it isn't the absolute best area in Metro Nashville, you could do a lot worse.

I agree with Pimpy. Avoid Nashboro Village. Trouble. Trouble. Trouble.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 AM

Default Agreement doesnt make it true

Funny how everyone who DOESNT live somewhere seems to be the expert and people who ACTUALLY LIVE THERE are wrong? I think we, the people who live in the places your opinions degrade, are considered more qualified to speak on the matter in a manner of more accuracy. Not in a sheep's mentality who follows the status quo.

I actually live there. There is nothing going on over here nearly as exciting as you claim. And you and pimpy agreeing with each other is not going to change the truth.... I am sure where you live is JUST FINE too and others may disagree as their opinion of your neighborhood is less than desireable. That is all we can agree on in this matter. Its perception vs. reality.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with the OP and school system, and we digress. You are not going to find me raving about Davidson County schools in any forum, and I did go to Hillsboro High, so I can attest to that they are nothing spactacular UNLESS you focus on the honors classes. They expect more and challenge you and learn - the teachers are passionate and you actually cannot skate through them and remain in them. It is the only real way to get an education worth anything in Nashville Public Schools in my opinion. The minimum requirement classes are bare minimum and kids who dont want to learn skate through - fault is to be blamed in many areas.

Antioch School is same way.... you get what you put into it. If you are a student who wants to learn and challenge themselves, and takes honor or advanced classes, then you will glean all it has to offer and buck the status quo. Its not the norm, and thats not what Antioch High is known for - its known for the fodder it allows to sift through since its a law kids HAVE to attend school.

Last edited by CeeBee123; 08-10-2008 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville