Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:42 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,709 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving from SW Michigan and we're looking at a number of places. On the list are Nashville, Virginia Beach, Raleigh/Duram, San Antonio. We have two small children, 2 and 4, and don't care for Michigan because of its winters and lack of culture and how conservative it is.

We're looking for honest opinions about Nashville. We are a couple that loves family activities, but we also love being around a lot of young couples (30ish) that like to have fun. We like the idea of good restaurants and bars, and a more liberal attitude about life. We like having things going on all the time, concerts, festivals, etc. We don't want to be in a overly religious area -- not that we mind religious people (we go to church), but we don't want it shoved down our throats either.

We used to live in Virginia Beach, which is why it's on our list. While we love the area (for its laid back attitude along with a city life feel, great seafood and tons of things to do), we can't get much of a house for the money. We're looking to spend between 300-375K and would like to get a fairly nice home out of the move (2500+ square feet, and a nice neighborhood w/nice neighbors). We like to live near things, not out where we can't easily (within 5 minutes) get to stores, restaurants and the interstate.

By the way, my husband is a Voice Network Engineer and I'm a Contract Administrator. Any thoughts on the job market for us is appreciated as well.

Can you tell me about Nashville and give me some info based on what we're looking for?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:26 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,358 times
Overall, Nashville is not a liberal city. Granted, Davidson County goes blue in most elections, but that is due to the high concentration of inner-city types with their hands out. The outlying counties are all (thankfully) overwhelmingly conservative.

It is safe to say that there are more liberals in the Nashville area than there were ten years ago, mostly due to the influx of people from places like California, New York, and South Florida. Unlike Atlanta, however, I don't see Nashville being stripped of its conservative core, no matter how many people immigrate here from the coasts.

Please don't take my post as unwelcoming. I don't mind living among people who are more liberal than myself; all I ask is that you not be one of those that moves to a new area and tries to change it into something more like where you came from.

Nashville is a great city and I think just about anyone can find the lifestyle they are looking for here.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:45 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,538 times
You do know this is the "Bible Belt," right?

Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 PM

7,539 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
[A]ll I ask is that you not be one of those that moves to a new area and tries to change it into something more like where you came from.
Well, they said they're coming from Michigan, from an area there that is Conservative. So, um?

To the OP, I don't think Nashville is liberal at all. Granted, you can find pockets where you'd probably fit just fine (East).

Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
. Granted, Davidson County goes blue in most elections, but that is due to the high concentration of inner-city types with their hands out.
What a nice generalization....wow.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:22 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
My family and I are considering moving from SW Michigan and we're looking at a number of places.
Where in SW Michigan? My family lived around Paw Paw, and then moved to Tennessee in '94. I never felt at home in Tennessee, so now I'm in Chicago, and people have to drag me out of the city kicking and screaming. I'm not sure if that helps you any.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:32 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,217 times
there are pockets of liberalism and thankfully I've found them. We live in Franklin which is one of the burbs that usually votes conservative, but so far I've only seen Obama signs outside of houses in my 'hood, but there were a lot of Fred heads back during the primary. With all the Californians, Michiganers and Northeasterns moving here I think Tennessee might become a swing state again (remember TN did elect Al Gore as its senator)

Old 07-19-2008, 06:24 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,506 times
That's funny. I live in Franklin too, and no McCain signs in my hood yet either. Hmmmm...

Old 07-19-2008, 06:30 AM

I LOVE Chicago. I just wish the winters weren't so treacherous. We're just southwest of Grand Rapids -- which is about 3 hours drive from Chicago.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:37 AM

Yes, I do know it's the Bible Belt. I thought that Nashville (based on what the area seems to be based on, partly music) would have a more moderate feel to it than other areas of the Bible Belt. By the way, I should mention that I'm not so liberal (I consider us to be more moderate than anything). I'm just liberal compared to the people who live in this area who do not welcome people who don't have blonde hair and blue eyes. An example of this area is that instead of welcoming a new mexican restaurant to the area that is run by mexicans, people here would rather run it out of town and would instead welcome a mexican restaurant run by people with blonde hair and blue eyes -- even if it means there's no authenticity left to the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville