Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,641,580 times

Advertisements

Tunky-

United Methodist is a more liberal denomination, generally speaking. Several in Franklin. Also, you could try Harpeth Pres.

As far as politics, Wiliamson County Democrats have their office in Franklin and hold their Blue Mondays at Saffire in the Factory. Hal Ketchum is playing this time. Fun way to meet people.

Welcome!

Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,340,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Tunky-

United Methodist is a more liberal denomination, generally speaking. Several in Franklin. Also, you could try Harpeth Pres.

As far as politics, Wiliamson County Democrats have their office in Franklin and hold their Blue Mondays at Saffire in the Factory. Hal Ketchum is playing this time. Fun way to meet people.

Welcome!
Thank you very much! I'll have to look into that!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:56 PM

813 posts, read 2,034,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
My family and I are considering moving from SW Michigan and we're looking at a number of places. On the list are Nashville, Virginia Beach, Raleigh/Duram, San Antonio. We have two small children, 2 and 4, and don't care for Michigan because of its winters and lack of culture and how conservative it is.

We're looking for honest opinions about Nashville. We are a couple that loves family activities, but we also love being around a lot of young couples (30ish) that like to have fun. We like the idea of good restaurants and bars, and a more liberal attitude about life. We like having things going on all the time, concerts, festivals, etc. We don't want to be in a overly religious area -- not that we mind religious people (we go to church), but we don't want it shoved down our throats either.

We used to live in Virginia Beach, which is why it's on our list. While we love the area (for its laid back attitude along with a city life feel, great seafood and tons of things to do), we can't get much of a house for the money. We're looking to spend between 300-375K and would like to get a fairly nice home out of the move (2500+ square feet, and a nice neighborhood w/nice neighbors). We like to live near things, not out where we can't easily (within 5 minutes) get to stores, restaurants and the interstate.

By the way, my husband is a Voice Network Engineer and I'm a Contract Administrator. Any thoughts on the job market for us is appreciated as well.

Can you tell me about Nashville and give me some info based on what we're looking for?
It really depends on where you decide to settle in the metro and with whom you associate. Nashville as a city along with Memphis are the only large cities in Tennessee that lean left politically but both tend to be a smidge socially conservative. Some neighborhoods within Nashville tend to be much more politically and socially liberal. Others you just can't tell and, truthfully, it probably doesn't really matter. However, you won't find really progressive towns like Ann Arbor around Nashville. You will find "pockets" in Davidson County that offer that sort of attitude (East Nashville, Hillsboro Village, 12South, Sylvan Park, etc.) but, again, it really just depends on the neighborhoods.

Once you get out of Davidson County, it very quickly becomes more conservative both politically and socially. These communities won't be too disimilar to some of those in SW Michigan but there tends to be more emphasis on religion here than I noticed in MI. Again, this is all anecdotal. I lived in Ann Arbor when I was in Michigan but I noticed people in SE Michigan were generally more secular as a whole. At the very least, they didn't emphasize their religious beliefs as much as people do in most of the southern metros.

All the potential cities you mentioned are going to be about the same politically. I'd consider Nashville quite laidback as a whole but it really just depends on what you're looking for. The bar scene is great here. The restaurants are just "okay" now but improving. Have you also considered Austin? There are a lot of similarities to Nashville (great music scene, same size, strong economy) but it clearly leans more left than any of your other options and is definitely laidback.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,340,029 times
Very well said Aires. I know I'm not the OP but this topic interests me as well and it's nice to read a helpful reply such as yours.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:54 AM

113 posts, read 383,379 times
So....people with blonde hair and blue eyes can't cook? Sounds like you're prejudiced, Shores4birds...

Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,641,580 times
How'd you get that from that post?!?!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM

97 posts, read 101,247 times
Nashville is laid-back in terms of lifestyle pace.
Nashville is not liberal.
Nashville is socially conservative, however the polite and genteel nature that permeates the city removes many of the negative aspects that some associate with that mindset. (Nashville is much more like Virginia than Texas)

Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM

933 posts, read 2,745,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCouple View Post
So....people with blonde hair and blue eyes can't cook? Sounds like you're prejudiced, Shores4birds...
I think what they were trying to say is that some people would rather drive to a suburban strip to eat at a Chilis instead of going to a Mexican owned resteraunt like La Hacienda. Driving down Nolensville Road in a Latino dominated area to go out to eat is beyond their frame of reference. Or going to Bojangles in Bellevue instead of driving to Princes Hot Chicken in East Nashville because that area is dominated by an African American population. Not only are they letting fear of the unfamiliar dictate their life, they are really missing out on some great food. But to each their own...

Last edited by yank283; 08-18-2008 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-18-2008, 01:26 PM

933 posts, read 2,745,056 times
Of course, it goes both ways...I'm sure there are people who would not go to the Gerst Haus because they have no desire to eat saurbratten delivered by a guy in lederhosen...lol

Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,985,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
I think what they were trying to say is that some people would rather drive to a suburban strip to eat at a Chilis instead of going to a Mexican owned resteraunt like La Hacienda. Driving down Nolensville Road in a Latino dominated area to go out to eat is beyond their frame of reference. Or going to Bojangles in Bellevue instead of driving to Princes Hot Chicken in East Nashville because that area is dominated by an African American population. These people seem let racial predjudices and/or fear dominate their life. Not only are they letting fear of the unfamiliar dictate their life, they are really missing out on some great food. But to each their own...
Or maybe they just don't want to make the drive? Or maybe they are just more familiar with the chain restaurants.

Don't look too deep into it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville