Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2021, 08:46 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chn83 View Post
Hi, I have read the past threads on this board regarding relocations to Nashville from Chicago, but I'm hoping for updated info/perspectives. I appreciate your time and consideration!

My family is considering a relocation to Nashville from Chicago. We live on the North Shore right now and are in a beautiful walkable area. We love walking to the beach and to our town center (book store, library, grocery store, juice bar, coffee shops, tons of great parks, community center, etc). Our town has lots of charming community events such as a 4th of July parade, children's fair, fall festivals, etc. We moved here for all of this but also for the excellent public schools for our three young children.

Considering that we already live in one of the most expensive small towns in the state (if not country) I thought we would be able to get a less expensive home in Nashville. But I am finding that is not the case. I know the market is especially hot right now with all of the relocations and covid supply/demand issues, but the housing supply issues in Nashville seem to pre-date Covid. Our budget is up to around $2mm (although we'd prefer to spend less). Between needing a larger home to make up for the lack of basements there (what do people do about storage?!), the lack of walkability and sidewalks, the desire to not have to make a ton of updates (which would also be more difficult right now since finding qualified contractors is hard), and the desire for a good street with something of a community feel, I am feeling like we are striking out left and right and I am finding myself very discouraged with the housing market.

Initially I was excited about the lower property taxes and the lack of state income tax which I thought would lead to a lower cost of living, but I'm finding that it is not in fact less expensive there. It actually might be more expensive given the need for private schools. And while it's easy to complain about our property taxes here on the North Shore, it does seem to fund a lot of great things including a myriad of fabulous parks and playgrounds, beaches, great public schools, public transit, etc.

I know we could look out in Brentwood, but I'm concerned that it will feel too suburban to us and that we might be able to get plugged in more easily if we are in Nashville proper at first.

I would love any perspectives from recent Chicago transplants about how you have found life there. I find myself so sad about the things we would be leaving behind (walkability, charming small town life, the amenities of Chicago just a short drive or train ride away, etc), but I also don't want to be looking back the whole time and not be excited about the many positives that I'm sure Nashville has to offer. I guess what I'm saying in a nutshell is that at first Nashville seemed great (less expensive! better weather!), but the more I try to find a house and lifestyle that is somewhat comparable to what we have here, the more discouraged I feel.

Thanks for any perspectives/opinions!

Its going to be hard to find a North Shore type of community outside of a top 5 metro. The only way I would make the move is if you are improving or maintaining your quality of life. Make sure you are looking at the amenities that you value are available in Nashville.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 08:24 PM

50 posts, read 36,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
One thing to consider is, if you would move here and find out that you really do not like it, would you be able to move back? I had a job relocation here and I pretty much will not be able to go back to California so I’m going to have to figure out where my next step is because it will not be here.
N.Cal - just curious, it sounds like you would move back to CA if you could...thoughts/issues with Nash area?

Old 04-01-2021, 03:03 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,723,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWx23 View Post
N.Cal - just curious, it sounds like you would move back to CA if you could...thoughts/issues with Nash area?
It’s better than it was when I moved here. Many of the issues are not with Nashville specifically but rather with Tennessee, the legislature, and the Idiocracy. Though the lack of good Chinese food, no decent public transportation, dreary and cold winter weather, and the added distance from Hawaii are also major downers. The hockey and music are great.

Old 04-02-2021, 12:15 PM

194 posts, read 190,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
It’s better than it was when I moved here. Many of the issues are not with Nashville specifically but rather with Tennessee, the legislature, and the Idiocracy. Though the lack of good Chinese food, no decent public transportation, dreary and cold winter weather, and the added distance from Hawaii are also major downers. The hockey and music are great.
I've always been curious about the CA transplants here. People can fight about politics all day, but putting that mess aside, the major cities in CA seem so superior in terms of amenities, entertainment options, weather, scenery, etc. Id move to SoCal in a heartbeat if it weren't for job issues, but that's just my take.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:18 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,723,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
I've always been curious about the CA transplants here. People can fight about politics all day, but putting that mess aside, the major cities in CA seem so superior in terms of amenities, entertainment options, weather, scenery, etc. Id move to SoCal in a heartbeat if it weren't for job issues, but that's just my take.

For me, my job moved me here. Of the three of us in my group who were transferred here, the other two found other jobs back in California within a couple of years and went back to California.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:21 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,502,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chn83 View Post
My family is considering a relocation to Nashville from Chicago. We live on the North Shore right now and are in a beautiful walkable area. We love walking to the beach and to our town center (book store, library, grocery store, juice bar, coffee shops, tons of great parks, community center, etc). Our town has lots of charming community events such as a 4th of July parade, children's fair, fall festivals, etc. We moved here for all of this but also for the excellent public schools for our three young children.
I think it comes down to if you're truly just "considering" this move or whether you/your spouse actually have to take the relocation.

From your description, you sound very happy in your current home in Chicago. It sounds like you might have been interested in the *idea* of Nashville, but once you looked into things a bit further, the reality didn't match your hopes. It's just as expensive as where you currently live. You'd need to put your kids into private school. Storage issues. Less walkability. Different amenities than you're used to. So given how unenthused you sound in your description of Nashville versus the way you talk about your home in Chicago, I don't see why you would make the move unless you don't have a choice because of the job situation. Stay somewhere you're happy.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:45 PM

638 posts, read 240,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
And California has an endless list of problems which is going to lead to increased taxes down the road, just like Illinois is. Its because of that people are choosing to leave the mess behind and moving to red states, the ignorance is that they feel they need to take their bad politics with them and keep voting for excessive govt control and spending, or in the very least whining about it.

We made the move from the Chicago suburbs about 2 years ago and best move we ever made, for us the cost of living is less because of less property taxes and no state income tax..

Old 04-14-2021, 03:51 PM

91 posts, read 131,287 times
I moved from the suburbs of Chicago to Franklin in 2013. Overall it's been ok-the culture and amenities just aren't what you'll get up there. There are some very family friendly suburbs but to your point the market is white-hot. I've been trying for a new house for months and usually they are snapped up at $100K over list and no inspection.

Based on what you've said, I don't think West Haven will deliver. $2M does still go a long way here. I would look near downtown Franklin if the suburbs work for you. If not, I would look at West End or 12 South neighborhoods in the city. To your point, private schools may be needed in those areas but maybe worth it. Also, the quality of the metro schools and the level of parental involvement (which saves funds) is starting to increase so you could see some improvement there over time.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:03 PM

206 posts, read 184,970 times
I have heard public schools are good in franklin area. Why so many ppl
Are interested in private schooling

Old 04-15-2021, 10:04 PM

3,052 posts, read 3,319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian2021 View Post
I have heard public schools are good in franklin area. Why so many ppl
Are interested in private schooling
Most Williamson county schools in Brentwood/Franklin are highly rated nationally. In MNPS you can find the best schools in the city. For some if they can afford a private academy offers an alternative. Also depends if they play sports. Can be good for football, basketball, other sports if they can get university scholarship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: